Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Flip City» Forums » Rules

Subject: Residential Area and Factory Timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Massey
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say we play a Factory card and Residential Area is the last card in the deck.

What is the timing?

Does Factory send Residential Area to the discard?

or

Residential Area is played then Factory happens?

I'm assuming the latter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
superkrm wrote:
Let's say we play a Factory card and Residential Area is the last card in the deck.

What is the timing?

Does Factory send Residential Area to the discard?

or

Residential Area is played then Factory happens?

I'm assuming the latter.

First, you finish resolving the Factory before you are able to play any more cards.

Then, you are ready to play another card, so you choose to play or not.

If the top card is a residential at that time, then you cannot end your turn without choosing to play it.

You always play cards one at a time, and fully resolve them before playing another card, and Residential Area just says "you can't end your turn without choosing to play this card if it's on top of your deck."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Prater
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great question. Since the Factory was played, you toss your bottom card, and even though it's a Residential, I still think it gets discarded.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Massey
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

You always play cards one at a time, and fully resolve them before playing another card, and Residential Area just says "you can't end your turn without choosing to play this card if it's on top of your deck."


It would be more clear if the English rulebook didn't have you checking the card played and top of the deck at the same time.

Residential Area doesn't say what you are quoting in the TMG release.

The card activates as soon as the condition is met. The condition being play that card if it is on top of the deck. Would Residential Area get played at the same time as Factory?

That is where the confusion lie. The rulebook nor Residential Area card indicates that a played card takes precedence over the on top of deck card. It tells you to check both.

But I agree with fully resolving one card then going to the next.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
superkrm wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:

You always play cards one at a time, and fully resolve them before playing another card, and Residential Area just says "you can't end your turn without choosing to play this card if it's on top of your deck."


It would be more clear if the English rulebook didn't have you checking the card played and top of the deck at the same time.

Residential Area doesn't say what you are quoting in the TMG release.

The card activates as soon as the condition is met. The condition being play that card if it is on top of the deck. Would Residential Area get played at the same time as Factory?

That is where the confusion lie. The rulebook nor Residential Area card indicates that a played card takes precedence over the on top of deck card. It tells you to check both.

But I agree with fully resolving one card then going to the next.

I would argue that until the Factory is done "coming into play" (and resolving it's "come into play" text), it's still effectively the top card of your deck.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Robinson
United Kingdom
Buxton
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hold my deck in my hand. When Factory comes up I discard the bottom card of the deck before I play Factory out to my tableau.

That way the Residential Area question doesn't come up, because it is discarded without ever being the top card. I think to play it the other way is messy.

Off on a tangent: thematically why tie a factory with removing a card from your deck? Would this have been better called "Re-zoning project"? I like my deck builder's mechanics to loosely align with the name of the cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
firepile wrote:
I hold my deck in my hand. When Factory comes up I discard the bottom card of the deck before I play Factory out to my tableau.

That way the Residential Area question doesn't come up, because it is discarded without ever being the top card. I think to play it the other way is messy.

Off on a tangent: thematically why tie a factory with removing a card from your deck? Would this have been better called "Re-zoning project"? I like my deck builder's mechanics to loosely align with the name of the cards.


But what if you don't play the factory at all? You shouldn't use the factory effects until you play it to your tableau.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Backlash27 wrote:
firepile wrote:
I hold my deck in my hand. When Factory comes up I discard the bottom card of the deck before I play Factory out to my tableau.

That way the Residential Area question doesn't come up, because it is discarded without ever being the top card. I think to play it the other way is messy.

Off on a tangent: thematically why tie a factory with removing a card from your deck? Would this have been better called "Re-zoning project"? I like my deck builder's mechanics to loosely align with the name of the cards.


But what if you don't play the factory at all? You shouldn't use the factory effects until you play it to your tableau.

I'm pretty sure he means "when I decide to play the Factory, I first remove the bottom card, then place the factory on the table."

But as has been mentioned above, it doesn't matter - the Factory must finish resolving before you worry about whether there's a Residential Area on the top of your deck.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shanaman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Was there ever any ruling on this? I managed to have a Factory above a Residential Area in my first game. It sounds like the consensus is that the Factory resolves first and discards your bottom card before the fact that it is also a top card kicks in. I guess I'll go with that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.