Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the Valley Games version of Die Macher for Christmas, and after my solitaire "dry run" (I'll soon be teaching it to other newbies), it looks to me like a surefire hit.

However, I have one question I can't find the answer to elsewhere in this forum (which has already answered all my other questions--you people are awesome!):

Rule 6.2.3 covers the playing of Shadow Cabinet cards, but it left me a bit murky on one point. I realize that each player can play one or more Shadow Cabinet Cards face down on a single turn (each on different state boards, of course). I also understand that all these cards are turned face up simultaneously, and that all are paid for as well. The sentence that left me scratching my head was this one:

Quote:
"Then, in player order, each player carries out ONE of the actions listed on all the Shadow Cabinet Cards they played."

Then the rules sort of left me hanging, going off to cover the telephone symbols on the cards, etc. But wait! Does the above quoted sentence mean that I might play two or three Shadow Cabinet Cards and only get to play ONE of them? The others are simply lost, paid for but unused, and then discarded from the game???

Or does it simply mean that a player only executes his Shadow Cabinet Card actions one at a time until all the Shadow Cabinet Cards that have been played by everyone are executed?

I'm hoping like mad that the latter is the case. If we each play 2 Shadow Cabinet Cards during Round 6 in a bunch of desperate attempts to swing that state our way, I certainly hope that we get to USE all of those cards!! Because if we can lay 3 cards down and we still only get to use ONE of them, what's the point? Nobody would ever play more than 1 Shadow Cabinet Card in a round! Nobody in his right mind is going to play 3 cards, pay for using them all, and then only get to use ONE of them!!

HELP!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you get to play all your shadow cabinet cards. What this rule refers to is that fact that each card has multiple possible actions assosiated with it. One card might give you the ability to increase your popularity in one state, increase your votes in one state, switch out a media cube in one state.

you dont get to do ALL these things. You have to choose one.

-E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, THAT part I understood immediately! No wonder I got so confused by the rest of the rule. Whenever somebody over-explains something to you, they always end up confusing you even more than you were in the beginning!

Thanks for the fast response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I would certainly not claim to be a DM rules guru, but my interpretation is identical to Eryn's above. I think you were getting reasonably hung up on the "all" in the quote:

DSHStratRat2 wrote:

Quote:
"Then, in player order, each player carries out ONE of the actions listed on all the Shadow Cabinet Cards they played."

Probably would be a bit more precise if it read:
"Then, in player order, each player carries out ONE of the actions listed on each of the Shadow Cabinet Cards they played."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schramek
United States
Gridley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had the same question that you did. Then soemone here enlighten me on using the Shadow Cabinet to affect the Round 7 elections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sanders
United States
Greendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quatsch wrote:
I had the same question that you did. Then soemone here enlighten me on using the Shadow Cabinet to affect the Round 7 elections.

What is your question about Rnd 7 elections and Shadow Cabinet cards? They are played as normal, but you never place a coalition tile in the final election (7th, or 5th in the short game).

Besides no coalitions, there is little different about the 7th election - well, no coalitions and the fact that the 6th and 7th are resolved one right after the other...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bowsher
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
Not covered is the fact that you can play multiple Shadow Cabinet cards by playing one of them in multiple regions. The v2 rules as written say that all the cards are turned over, then in turn order each player pays for and executes one of their cards. The rules specifically prohibit placing more than one card per region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.