Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my reviews aim to offer a brief overview that allows people to get a good feel for what the game may offer them. I feel that other reviews can be sought if detailed game mechanics is what you are after.

Fluxx is a little classic that many people will not give the time of day, due to its packaging and size (I too am guilty). What lies inside though is a little gaming gem that will have players asking,
“Time for one more?”

Fluxx is a card game comprising of an 84-card deck. There are 4 types of cards - Rules, Actions, Goals and Keepers. At the start of the game each player begins with 3 cards and the only rule in play is that all players must draw 1 card and play 1 card, then their turn is over. If a player plays a new Rule card it is very possible that it will not effect the other rule(s) in play. In games our group played we often had up to 5 or 6 rules in play at once.

Wacky results can sometimes see players having to draw 5 cards, play 3 of them and then discard down to a hand limit of 1. The rules are what give Fluxx its wacky edge and keep the players on their toes. The Action cards are just as interesting and provide the ‘what’s going to happen next?’ element.

Action cards can make players trade hands, change the order of play, remove other cards from the table or reset the rules back to the basic rule used at the start of play (this card is heaven sometimes). The Goal card determines the aim of the game and displays 2 items. When a goal is played, it is played centrally to the table and this means that the goal is valid for all players.

If any player can meet the requirements on the Goal card (by possessing the items on the card) then they win the game. If a new goal is played it will replace the old goal and change the victory conditions (possibly snatching victory away from others just in time).

Finally the deck offers the Keeper cards and if you haven’t already guessed, each Keeper card displays 1 item. Players can possess any number of keepers (unless a rule has been played to limit the number) and they are highly prized. Items include a wide variety of things from cookies and a glass of milk to a tank or headstone.

The Final Word

Fluxx is an experiment in chaos as the game hardly ever stays the same from turn to turn. The rules constantly change, the victory conditions constantly change and the player’s cards are never safe from the opposition. It is well designed as it offers only 1 of each Keeper card, which makes things rather tight for the win whilst still allowing all players the chance of victory on a given turn, and the box proudly states that there are 23 different ways to win.

This is a large part of Fluxx’ appeal. This game could be picked up by anyone, learnt and enjoyed in less than 10 minutes. The rules could fit in your wallet\purse and they even explain them with a comic strip drawing – it’s that simple.

Fluxx can accommodate 2-6 players and this is perfect for its style of play. The larger the group the better because it means more chaos and mayhem. Our playgroup still had a blast with 3 players but I can’t wait to get a group of 6 together. Fluxx is currently the 17th highest selling strategy game of all time (according to funagain.com) and this is not hard to understand given its fun factor and price. I challenge you to play Fluxx and not have fun with it at least once!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fluxx - A Light Review
2 of each keeper? Every Fluxx deck i've ever owned has been 1 of each card, period. No duplicates.

Excellent review, by the way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Fluxx - A Light Review
unixrevolution wrote:
2 of each keeper? Every Fluxx deck i've ever owned has been 1 of each card, period. No duplicates.

Excellent review, by the way

Cheers mate - I got to it eventually. Edit made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.