Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Does anyone play with a house rule where you can't move from taxation to taxation (maybe only allowing a govt/player pay for <= 3 spaces (or something like that))?

The reason I ask is because the game can end very quickly if a country is rich near the end of the game.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that it's somewhere in the rules that you can only move 6 spaces maximum.

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
I'm pretty sure that it's somewhere in the rules that you can only move 6 spaces maximum.

N.

Really, can you provide a page in the rules that state that?

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walther Gerdts
Germany
Hamburg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:

The reason I ask is because the game can end very quickly if a country is rich near the end of the game.

Remember that it is NOT the treasury which pays for moving on the rondel, it's always the PLAYER who owns the flag! Therefore it has nothing to do with the fact that a country may be rich...
Cheers
Mac

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:

N.

I just reread the rules and you are correct.

Thx for pointing it out

jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
And YES, you are right that the game can finish quite fast when a stable, well developed Nation can go from Investor-Taxation every turn, and thus reaching 25 points very fast as you collect your Bonds every second turn. Of course, the player itself pays for the 2 million fee. But maybe this should be increased??!

Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
owll wrote:
And YES, you are right that the game can finish quite fast when a stable, well developed Nation can go from Investor-Taxation every turn, and thus reaching 25 points very fast as you collect your Bonds every second turn. Of course, the player itself pays for the 2 million fee. But maybe this should be increased??!

Owll

I don't think so. Whilst this clever, 'stable' player is skipping from Investor to Taxation, he isn't supporting an army/ fleet and unless he is playing against the recently deceased, his factories all get blocked or destroyed. As a result his territories all get occupied and his tax should just about be able to pay his +2 million for the extra step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Philippe Goyer
Canada
Verdun Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Looking for a Publisher for a Grand Strategic all fronts WW2 card game
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but in the middle game, there are more then one Nation that will try the Investor-Taxation scheeme, and these Governments may be willing if adjacent to just rush to the end game, having already some Bonds in all of these stable Nations. The treasury of those Nations is very easy to maintain by buying the high credit Bonds related to those Nations, thus acquiring easy free VP. And the taxation might get lower, as you said because of warfare, but may still be positive and you never loose power points. (Do not forget that the taxation gives power points without discrimination of how many military units you have on the board). Anyway, maybe you are right, 2M may be enough...

Food for thought...
Owll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the 2VP is enough. And I call it VP because that is exactly what you are spending by giving up those 2M. My last game saw the winner 4 VP ahead of me and I know I spent at least 6 VP moving the action marker on the rondel. Did it cost me the game? Maybe, the game dynamics surely would have been slightly different without advancing the actions faster than the normal pace. But I learned that spending to advance the marker is not a decision to be taken lightly.

Chuck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.