Star Wars: Armada» Forums » Variants

Subject: Rebel "Rabble" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Washburn
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
One idea I've been tinkering around with is some really cheap, really crummy Rebel ships. The Rebel ships we've seen (whether already released or coming) are all pretty decent warships, despite their wide variety of types and origins. But I would have to think that the Rebellion would also attract some enthusiastic, but very poorly equipped supporters. People who hate the Empire enough to want to strike a blow, but who don't have the resources to field real warships. Such people would use all their drive and ingenuity to modify and convert what ships they had even though they might be little more than cannon fodder.

So, starting with the CR90 Corvette as a base, I was thinking that if you reduced its armament to a single blue die in its forward and side arcs, made the shields 1 on all sides, eliminated the anti-fighter defences, took away all its defense tokens, knocked its hull rating to a 3 or even 2, Gave it no commands, no squadrons and only a 1 engineering (which would be its default command) and only allowed it to go at speed 2, the resulting piece of junk would only cost 10 or 15 points. Note that it wouldn't BE a CR90, I'm just using the statistics as a starting point.

I would also allow these ships to buy one or two 'weapons pods' which would be one-shot throw-away missiles that could give them a few extra attack dice for one attack.

I realize that having a swarm of these little guys would mess up the normal turn activation sequence, so I'm thinking that they be treated like squadrons and shoot and move during that phase. They couldn't be activated with squadron commands. Naturally, the Rebel player would still have a core of the usual ships, but he'd have the option of adding a bunch of these little junkers if he liked.

The models for these could be anything you liked. The less uniform the better.

I realize this won't be to everyone's taste, but it fits my idea of what a galactic-wide rebellion ought to be like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Sainz Martínez
Netherlands
Den Haag
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not quite the same (most importantly, no rule changes), but I suppose these go in a similar direction:

https://armadashipyards.wordpress.com/2015/08/29/gr-75-mediu...
https://armadashipyards.wordpress.com/2015/08/29/bff-1-bulk-...
https://armadashipyards.wordpress.com/2015/08/29/gozanti-cla...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Solfronk
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
I had always thought that there should be something of a "downgrade" cards that should be available for builds- say poor crew/commanders, outdated or broken equipment- something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.