Subject: Ideas for new characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
THE BAZAR MASTER
He would have two powers:
1-He can get anything from the bazar by placing only once dice on top of the drawing of the goods (not the regular dice location). The dice number must match the one in the column. For example a 4 would let you choose between: 4 camels, 3 peppers, 3 silks or 3 golds. Once you leave your dice there no one else can take that. He can only do this once per turn.
2-Since the Bazar Master will be rich he can travel using money instead of camels. One money=One camel (this proportion should be tested, but I like the idea of not depending on camels to travel)

THE HIMALAIAN
He can shortcut through the mountains to travel between the 3 main mountain cities: Samarcanda, Karachi and Lan-Zhou. 6 camels for the Samarcanda<>Karachi trip and 6 camels for the Karachi<>Lan-Zhou trip. Each one would count as a one movement action. He also doubles the value of those city bonusses when arriving first.

THE CAMEL TRAINER
He never needs camels to travel. When travelling on a route that requieres camels he instead receives that amount of camels.

THE SAILOR
When travelling overseas not only he doesnt pay but he receives the amount written on the board plus one contract.

THE NOMAD (a lighter variant for the camel trainer)
He pays half camels in the routes were needed. Being 3 camels 1 camel. He also gets 3 extra camels at the beggining of each round.

THE MERCHANT
He can buy and/or sell anytime he wants goods and camels from (or to) the supply. Costing camel 1, pepper 2, silk 3 and gold 4. He can also pay for the bonus actions to re roll, change dice by 1 or get a black dice as well instead of using camels (prices he'd pay should be tested)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Syrus
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

there will be 4 new btw.:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1422734/promo-4-new-charact...

good idea to make new character ideas. I support it very much. Have not tested, will try to get board game friends to play with them, but my opinions:

THE BAZAR MASTER
He would have two powers:
1-He can get anything from the bazar by placing only once dice on top of the drawing of the goods (not the regular dice location). The dice number must match the one in the column. For example a 4 would let you choose between: 4 camels, 3 peppers, 3 silks or 3 golds. Once you leave your dice there no one else can take that. He can only do this once per turn.

--chaotic, not sure how does it benefit or ruins...

2-Since the Bazar Master will be rich he can travel using money instead of camels. One money=One camel (this proportion should be tested, but I like the idea of not depending on camels to travel)

--this is an excellent idea, i think it is already strong

THE HIMALAIAN
He can shortcut through the mountains to travel between the 3 main mountain cities: Samarcanda, Karachi and Lan-Zhou. 6 camels for the Samarcanda<>Karachi trip and 6 camels for the Karachi<>Lan-Zhou trip. Each one would count as a one movement action. He also doubles the value of those city bonusses when arriving first.

--good idea, needs testing

THE CAMEL TRAINER
He never needs camels to travel. When travelling on a route that requieres camels he instead receives that amount of camels.

--also a very good idea.

THE SAILOR
When travelling overseas not only he doesnt pay but he receives the amount written on the board plus one contract.

--interesting, needs testing, it forces the player to choose always the south route

THE NOMAD (a lighter variant for the camel trainer)
He pays half camels in the routes were needed. Being 3 camels 1 camel. He also gets 3 extra camels at the beggining of each round.

--needless, THE CAMEL TRAINER is much better

THE MERCHANT
He can buy and/or sell anytime he wants goods and camels from (or to) the supply. Costing camel 1, pepper 2, silk 3 and gold 4. He can also pay for the bonus actions to re roll, change dice by 1 or get a black dice as well instead of using camels (prices he'd pay should be tested)

do I understand well that he pays 1 money for a camel, 2 money for pepper etc?

--also a good idea, i miss it many times to exchange, but has to be tested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R2 D2
msg tools
mb
Yes, you understood well "The merchant". The idea is to be able to exchange goods and camels for money and viceversa. This would let you change directly for example two camels for one pepper, or a pepper and a silk for a gold, just to mention two options.

Apart from this idea of new role, I believe that in the game there should be other ways to make money, mainly because one of the options is almost doubled (the 5 money spot and the 3 money bag). There is something there that doesn't work, it is like a missed opportunity. I think the bag could be replaced by a kind of "Exchange Corner" where you could exchange goods, camels and money with the supply similarly to how the "Merchant" role would do. The number on the dice should determine somehow what you could do.

NOTE: You didn't mention anything about THE HIMALAIAN. I think possible shortcuts between routes would be a great help. Maybe not as part of a role but perhaps through extra cards that would let you use only once a special power whenever needed most. Something like: Possibility of making a shorcut between routes, sea travelling for free, no camels needed in one route, repeat an action using a dice without having to pay, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Syrus
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edited my original post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhm... if I understood correctly the Bazar Master he seems too powerful to me.
The possibility to get a free travel for a single die placed on the 5 spot of the gold line, while also blocking it to other players and not paying gold for choosing that action as second? In my opinion far more powerful than the single extra die of Matteo Polo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Munger
United States
Harker Heights
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few power ideas:

1: All eligible minor city bonuses fire off twice at the beginning of each round for this character.

2: This character can take a movement action each time they discard an incomplete contract (by taking another when at two). This character gets one free camel and coin each round.

3: This character copies (also gets) all first tradepost bonuses at large cities (does not copy if himself first to any large city). This character can also reuse one city card per round by placing a second die on it. This character must still have a tradepost in the city to do this.

4: This character selects one item type (coins, camels, spice, silk, or gold) at the very end of each round and doubles the quantity they currently have.

5: This last character spends one less camel for free actions (minimum of 1) and calculates the value of compensation after start of turn rolling from 20 instead of 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bancroft
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Durp
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the CAMEL TRAINER idea. Think anyone here could do this character or any other character cards using Photoshop? I just don't have the skills to bring it to life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This reminds me of when Civilization V came out and people would go to Civfanatics and throw out ideas for new civ's. There seems to be a tendency to offer broad, unconditional freebies and discounts, making vanilla gameplay easier. Not that some of the official characters don't do the same thing, but all the same I would lean towards abilities that spice things up by opening up new tactics. Perhaps they make otherwise weak choices attractive, perhaps they lend themselves to risk/reward opportunities, perhaps they make other players think twice about their own choices.

A few I've been mulling over:

THE EARLY BIRD
Each turn you may perform a second main action after you have completed your first. When another player stacks dice directly on top of dice of your color, they receive one camel.

THE LEMONADE MAKER
When placing a die with a value of 1, take the action normally. Then remove the die from the action space, re-roll it, and place it back in your pool of available dice.

THE BAGMAN
When another player stacks dice on a space where you have placed dice, you receive any coins that players pays for stacking.

THE WATER MERCHANT
If you end a travel action on an oasis, the cost in coins and camels is halved (rounded down).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.