Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As my first game of MR-L30 ended, I was unsure about this; as I understand the rules, the Site Monster will spawn even if the site is not yet discovered. Did I play that right?
Also I never did find out how to make a T chit for opening the Vault, unless the H1* of the Crossbow somehow counts.

As first games go, I think it went fairly well
On day 2 the Mercenary hired the Assassin.
First light on day 4 he ran back to the Village for a good rest after seeing the Assassin being eaten by a Tremendous Dragon that they both failed to kill the night before.
On day 5 he stumbled upon the Altar, failed to hide and was killed by the Demon that had spawned along with a Serpent.

2 out of 3 monsters spawned was site monsters.
2 gold in pocket, Breastplate and Helm both damaged, 0 VP

Awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeap, once Sites are revealed, the Site Monsters can spawn even when you haven't discovered their Site yet.

Some treasures like the Gloves of Strength can provide you the T chit if you don't already start off with one. No, the H* on the crossbow can't be used to open the Vault

And yes, this sounds like a typical Magic Realm first play. I remember first playing big MR and my Woodsgirl provided a snack for a troll in Day 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I'd do better with the Raider. He looked tougher, at least on paper...

To his credit, he did kill a goblin and ended the game with 10 gold and 2 fame, not really enough for a full VP.

But, alas, much like the first time... killed by the demon on day 5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh! So close, yet...

The Raider, second try: Killed a Tremendous Dragon and found Deft Gloves, Cloak of Mist, Magic Spectacles and the Book of Lore (finding Deft Gloves first was a stroke of luck). That would have been (yes, would have) 40 Fame.
But.. On day 13 I took a gamble that went really wrong. That Viper in the woods that I thought I'd have a go at, was joined by yet another Tremendous Dragon (returned to the pool), and this game almost no repositioning rolls went my way. The Raider survived day 13, but with 5 wounded chits and the last Move fatigued. Unable to move he needed a successful Hide, to rest and get away, but that failed too and I didn't have the heart to complete the day. He would die for sure on the very last evening.

Learned a bit about dodging monsters and got punished for taking chances. I missed the part where the Book of Lore provides magic, so I thought the Raider couldn't learn spells. Not sure it would have changed anything, he lived and died like the berserker he was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can still move without an active move chit, you just have to drop all non-negligible weight items (including armor, weapons, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
You can still move without an active move chit, you just have to drop all non-negligible weight items (including armor, weapons, etc).

Interesting. That's a bug with MRL30 then. I had it stated in the rules that you can't move if you did not have an active Move chit. I misinterpreted the big MR rule about this - it appears that big MR does allow u to move regardless, and you can only carry things as heavy as your strongest active Move chit. In fact, big MR even screws you over by stating that if you mistakenly record a move action, and there's a legal spot to move to, and you don't have a strong enough active Move chit, you MUST perform the move and abandon your heavier belongings. Cruel, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Otherwise the witch-king couldn't move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.