Bob Flaherty
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife had a meeting to attend, so I was at home watching the kids: M (6 yo), L (4 yo), and B (2 yo). Rather than having them vegetate in front of the television all night, I asked them if they wanted to play a game of Hey! That's My Fish. My middle child was enthused because she had watched her older sibling play the game but hadn't had the chance to play herself. I got the game off the shelf and after the quibbles over who was going to be blue and who was going to be red (too bad there isn't a purple or pink), we got to setting up the board. I turned this into a counting exercise for my 2 yo (who was sitting on my lap) and my 4 yo both in mixing up the one, two and three fish tiles as well as setting up the alternating rows of seven and eight tiles.

Once the board was set, it was time to place our penguins. Again, my middle child has seen the game played so after every penguin placement she asked "When do I get to pick up the fish piece?" I would patiently answer, "Not until we all get to put our penguins down." This was repeated three times: once for each penguin. My youngest and I both decided where the place the penguins; however, he didn't want to leave them on the board. Initially, he wanted to put them on the three fish pieces - hey, don't we all? After I told him they could only go on the one fish tiles, the other two pieces were placed correctly.

After the board was set and we had all moved our initial penguins, I had a fish tile in front of me, my youngest wanted nothing to do with the game. All he wanted to do was play with the extra penguins and the fish tiles we (applied loosely) were collecting.

Only a couple times did I have to re-explain the movement rules to my middle child (she wanted to move her pieces all over the board). While I don't intentionally let my children win at games, I don't usually play out all the strategy. I tend to mimic their play - grab a piece and move it, for better or worse. The final score: M - 32, L - 29, B/me - 28.

My children love this game. The pacing is spot-on. The length is perfect. My eldest is now starting to talk about "blocking" (isolating) penguins and other strategies for maximizing her score. Maybe I will have to start paying a little more attention to how the game is shaping up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report. My children, ages 5 & 3, both enjoy this game and have really picked up on the strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.