Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my reviews aim to offer a brief overview that allows people to get a good feel for what the game may offer them. I feel that other reviews can be sought if detailed game mechanics is what you are after.

As this is a game based on educational principles I am also able to draw on my experience as a primary school teacher (Australia) when reviewing them. I hope you find this insight useful.

Frog Juice is another game from Gamewright that is fun to play. The game consists of 59 cards that depict all manner of kooky stuff that kids love such as bats, toads, spells, witches, newts, toadstools and unicorn horns. Most of the cards are ingredients and each of these has a number value. The other 15 are Power cards and these are very important. The aim of the game is to collect the most points by games end. One point is awarded for every Power card that is captured and 2 points is awarded for the player who collects the most ingredients. So how does it play?

Each player is dealt 4 cards and a further 4 cards are dealt face-up on the table. Each turn a player can choose a single action. The options include capturing cards from the table or your own hand, playing a black cat, sweeping with a witch card or playing a spell. Capturing cards is one great way of collecting ingredients. To capture an ingredient a player must play a number of cards that will exactly match the value of the ingredient desired. For example to capture a Fair Maid from the table a total of 12 points must be played. This could be achieved by playing an 11-point Deadly Nightshade and a 1-point Shrinking Brew. All captured cards including the ones played from the hand are added to the player’s ingredients pile.

Of course capturing Power Cards from the table is not so easy. This can only be achieved by playing a Witch Card and using it to ‘sweep’ the table. Sweeping the table allows a player to take all cards that are face-up. The Black Cat allows a player to steal any one ingredient or power card from another players score piles and the All Purpose Witch Wash can be used to stop another players Witch from sweeping the table.

Spells are probably the most fun cards in the game as they have neat names like the ‘Uglifying Spell’ or ‘Anti-Gravity Spell’. Each spell lists the three ingredients needed to complete it. Players play the Spell Card in front of them and on their turn they can add the desired ingredients either from their hand or from those face-up on the table.

If they end their turn and the spell is incomplete they can ask each player for one of the ingredients and they must be handed over if they possess them. Completing a spell gives the player more power so the card is added to their Power score pile. Players draw a new card to end their turn and the game is over when the draw deck is exhausted and no further cards remain on the table. The highest score will determine the winner.

The Final Word

Frog Juice has all the elements that make for a great quality game. The players are offered a range of choices each turn to keep them interested. Each player’s turn is relatively short, which means that no one player is out of the action for long (very important for children). The game has heaps of theme, which makes the experience more enjoyable for the players. The cards are of a high quality, with engaging artwork and a card thickness that will withstand many plays. Finally the game is great to help children develop their counting and number skills. Need I say more? Frog Juice is a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.