Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandywine recreates one of the biggest battles of the Revolutionary War, Washington’s attempt to halt William Howe at the gates of Philadelphia. Being one of the biggest battles, it lends itself well to a one volume edition. It also allows players to engage a set piece battle in the European tradition with numerous terrain features.

Gameplay (26 out of 30): The rules and game system flow easily and a game, if played by exprienced players, can go by quickly. Like its predecessor Saratoga, Brandywine uses tactics chits (basically rock, paper, scissors) to gain certain advantages. In addition a unit’s quality also aids the die roll of combat. While colorful, the scale of Brandywine means that fighting can often get bogged down in chits and computations, although without these the game is just another in a series of counter pushing. The British flank attack (Howe’s main thrust) is so large that it is an exciting event to me. I get a gaming rush.

Components (10 out of 10): The counters look good; the map is the best in the series, being clear and beautiful.

Originality (4 out of 5): Brandywine follows the Saratoga system, but it is a battle radically different from Saratoga. Saratoga is more of a small battle, a skirmish that got carried away. Brandywine is a grand engagement, with grand maneuvers and large assaults. GMT did right by choosing a battle so different from Saratoga as the second in the series.

Historical Quality (4 out of 5): I’m not an expert on the battle of Brandywine but the game simulates the fight well. I especially like the rules for Washington giving no bonus in combat, but being a great boon to morale. My only complaint is that the British flank attack, by coming so late and against an American with foresight, rarely achieves the smashing success Howe gained.

Overall (44 out of 50): Brandywine’s combination of large forces and superb components with a proven gaming system make it my favorite of GMT’s Revolutionary War series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
For a more complete review of game play within the series check out the user review for Saratoga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just starting playing this game...
What is your opinion on the different scenarios?

Desaix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenario covering the initial British attack is very good as an icebreaker to the rules and the game. However if I wanted to convice a wargamer that Brandywine is worth the effort, the flank attack does the trick

I've only played the two scenarios once. The main game is of course the meat of this entry and something I always look forward to playing(I see a session report coming soon).

I read your comments on Guilford and very much agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael confoy
United States
ASHBURN
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not saying much. Has he ever done a real good game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
papahoth wrote:
Not saying much. Has he ever done a real good game?

Better yet, have you?

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:
Historical Quality (4 out of 5): I’m not an expert on the battle of Brandywine but the game simulates the fight well. I especially like the rules for Washington giving no bonus in combat, but being a great boon to morale. My only complaint is that the British flank attack, by coming so late and against an American with foresight, rarely achieves the smashing success Howe gained.

Last night, I set it up and then pulled out "The Road to Valley Forge" by John Buchanan (an AWESOME book from a historian that really gets into the details). Brandywine (the game) is incredible in the historical accuracy. As I read the account, I could see it on the board, including the units and leaders.

As far as Howe's smashing victory, he did totally outflank Washington, just as he did on Long Island. However, it was a 16-hour march and the troops were exhausted. The only drawback in Howe's point of view, was that they didn't have time to rout the Americans because the sun went down too quickly. Had this skirmish took place on June 20 instead of September 11, he may have had enough daylight to finish off the rout. They also took a 1 hour tea break to rest after the long march before attacking the American flank.

So in that aspect, I think the game perfectly captures the historical realitiy: Washington picked the best location to stage a defense (Brandywine creek). Howe was able to win the battle and continue the march to Philadelphia practically unopposed. But he was not able to rout Washington because he didn't have enough time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As far as Howe's smashing victory, he did totally outflank Washington, just as he did on Long Island. However, it was a 16-hour march and the troops were exhausted. The only drawback in Howe's point of view, was that they didn't have time to rout the Americans because the sun went down too quickly. Had this skirmish took place on June 20 instead of September 11, he may have had enough daylight to finish off the rout. They also took a 1 hour tea break to rest after the long march before attacking the American flank.

Smashing might be too strong word, but I find it hard in the game to be as sucess as Howe was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
My lone time playing, Howe routed Washington. The trick was, once the morale falls, it snowballs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Townsend

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
[q="gittes"] But he was not able to rout Washington because he didn't have enough time.

Just my opinion...Howe would have been hard pressed to rout the Americans completely even if he had more daylight, given all the marching, counter marching, the battle itself, the heat. By the end of the day the British troops were not fresh at all. You might say Howe was not able to completely rout and/or destroy Washington because Howe lacked cavalry in any significant amount in order to pursue the Americans. See Michael C. Harris' "Brandywine: [....] The Battle That Lost Philadelphia, But Saved America, September 11, 1777" published by Savas Beatie, 2014
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
applejak_2000 wrote:
"Brandywine: [....] The Battle That Lost Philadelphia, But Saved America, September 11, 1777" published by Savas Beatie, 2014

Wait, so how did Brandywine "save America?"

I always get a kick out of the "victory in defeat" narrative common in books on the American Revolution. Maybe it is why Camden and Charleston is less discussed. Really no silver-linings in those engagements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.