United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't this game entry be merged into Catan...

This is no different than El Grande vs. El Grande 10th Anniversary edition.

It's the same game as the base game, plus 1 expansion (C&K), just as El Grande 10th Anniversary is the base game plus the expansions.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's unique enough to warrant its own entry; it is nore deserving than e.g. all the Monopoly variants which are less different in mechanics than the Uno variants - which are combined into one entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The point is that other games, like El Grande Decennial and the Carc Big Box don't get such treatment.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is it unique enough? No more unique than a version of any other game where the 1st edition used counters or wood bits, and the 2nd edition used 3D plastic miniatures (look at Acquire bookshelf editions, vs the AH big box with 3D companies).

The game and the rules are the same, only some of the components are different.

The problem is that the stats get skewed with having a different game entry. Keep in mind that originally a new game entry was created for El Grande 10th Anniversary edition as well until it was merged back into the El Grande game entry.

Another example... "Carcassonne Big Box" (http://www.funagain.com/control/product/~product_id=016622) is not getting a new game entry, nor should it. Same game, same rules, it just bundles in some of the expansions.

And another... Bohnanza 10th anniversary edition is coming out this year. To celebrate they are coming out with anohter version that's coming in a shiny new tin (vs. a box). Same game, same rules, same BGG game entry.

edit: Steve summed it nice (posts crossed in the mail )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, I don't think this issue is all that important, but I do agree with you...there are a number of "premium" versions of games, or reprints of games with improved components, and to me, there is absolutely zero reason for them to have separate entries.

Sure, the new version of Flaschenteufel has new card art and a nicer wooden bottle, but it's still the same game. Ditto the tin box version of Tichu.

The only conceivable significance of the stats for such games is to show how much people like eye candy, and will/won't inflate their rating based on that.

I think the only thing that really bothers me about this is that while Siedler 3D gets its own entry, games like Titan the Arena and Colossal Arena are paired up, even though they are significantly different games.

In the grand scheme of things, peh though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
St. Elvis wrote:
Why not merge Settlers 3D with The Settlers of Catan Travel Edition?

From the description for the Travel Edition:

* Pre determined Desert location
* Pre determined numbers
* Pre determined port location

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Settlers 3D gets it's own entry while Traumfabrik remains merged with Hollywood Blockbuster (and with the second's name!) I will be forced to conclude that there is no God cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
St. Elvis wrote:
If you read the personal comments that have been made concerning Settlers 3D, you'll see that many (in fact, nearly every) BGG user that rated the game did so on the basis of the game's components and its appeal as a collectable, or its price. It's obvious that these ratings are not relevant to the original game, so there's no skew.

You make a good point.

Some of us would like to review El Grande Decennial separate from El Grande, given that it has some misprinted component issues.

Or in Carc Big Box, maybe the nice, clear, consolidated rules might warrant a separate rating.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.