Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Hill
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there.

First of all I'd like to say I absolutely love this game! The rules are fairly easy, but the strategies seem endless so far - great.

I've played the EoE expansion for the 2nd time and a question arose from the interaction of different combat cards.
My question is: What happens when one player plays "Singularity" and the other player(s) play "Ambush" and/or "Strafing Run"?

"Singularity" (order-002)
All players roll exactly 5 combat dice this round. No other cards may add or remove combat dice for players in this round of combat.

"Ambush" (order-002)
Roll 2 combat dice and assign damage immediately. Then proceed to you normal combat roll. You are not allowed to play a Combat Card on the second combat round. (unrelated, but there is a spelling error on this card... proceed to you normal - should be "your" normal. In case of reprint)

"Strafing Run" (order-002)
Roll 1 combat die for each of your Fighters before the regular combat rolls. Deal 1 damage for each 6 rolled. These rolls may not be modified in any way.

Singularity seems to limit each player to 5 dice that round regardless of what other cards say.

1. Would the extra combat dice from "Ambush" and "Strafing Run" count towards that total of 5, meaning they would only roll 3 in the normal 1st combat round?

2. Given these are all order-002 cards, would player turn order factor in?
If I'm 1st player (Chancellor) and I play "Ambush"/"Strafing Run", would I apply those die rolls before the 2nd player (Vice-Chancellor) would be able to apply the effects of "Singularity"? If so this would mean I could roll more than 5 dice in spite of "Singularity".

3. "Sabatoge" is a similar card that simply limits all players in a combat to a maximum of 5 combat dice. Is this handled the same way as "Singularity"?
"Sabatoge" is order-003 so would the effects from this card apply after someone had played "Ambush" or Strafing Run", once again possibly expanding the dice beyond 5?

I'd appreciate any clarification.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Singularity "trumps" the other cards because of the second part of the text: "No other cards may add or remove combat dice for players in this round of combat."

So, the other 2 cards will yield no effects because they add combat dice.

The only cards which work together with Singularity are results modifiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hill
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your quick reply, Andrei.

Can you please make 2 more clarifications?:

"Ambush" and "Strafing Run" say their dice rolls occur before the normal combat round. When we played we executed these rolls, (Example: 2 dice for ambush) before the normal combat round and then only rolled 3 in the normal combat round to satisfy Singularity's 5 dice limit.

1. Was this correct? Or are the "Ambush" and "Strafing Run" cards' effects negated entirely by "Singularity"?
I ask because if these cards do activate sooner, as we played them, you could knock somebody out of the fight before they get to roll their 5 dice.

2. "Sabotage" says that all players are limited to 5 dice in the current round of combat, but does not specifically say that it bans dice from being added or removed like "Singularity". How would this interact with "Ambush" or Strafing run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. That was correct.

2. Sabotage only limits the total no of dice. All cards which would add more dice are limited to adding up to a total of 5 dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hill
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for clearing that up, Andrei.
I think all of my questions about this game have been answered at this point. Everything else in the game is clear.

You and Agnieszka have made a truly spectacular and very enjoyable game!
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Novac
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.