Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay I was finally able to play Darkest Night last night.

I played the basic rules with all 4 expansions mixed together, but no Darkness cards.

Also, as my own house rule, every player starts with all 4 of their starting powers (as opposed to 3), this just makes it so a new player doesn't have to draft powers without being familiar with the game. I would say this makes the game inconsequentially easier.

E So my initial impressions of In Tales of Old:

I can't speak much yet for the other characters but the Tamer is an odd hero. She has a huge power swing whereby in the beginning she is too slow (takes too many turns before she's "ready" and then the moment she gets her Whip power, she becomes incredibly potent at just about anything.

She also appears to have a lot more options and choices on her turn, in regards to her powers, and thus slightly more prone to AP. Not a character for new players!

E The Items are a mixed bunch. On the one hand, I love the Cursed Ashes- finally a way to deal with Confusion blights. And the Skull Token gives you slightly more autonomy over the Necromancer's mostly random movement. Lastly, the Psion Stone will likely raise a ton of questions. If you use it on a straightforward Power like the Valkyries's Impale, you've just opened up a one-way portal to insta-winville. Unfortunately, all these items are pretty rare (especially if you're playing with multiple expansions), so there's really no way to strategize around them.

E The new Blights have a bit more information to remember. At this point, the list of blights in Darkest Night is getting really long and remembering new ones with different gameplay effects can often feel like a chore. You will immediately notice that 3 of the 7 new blights are the "global" type (red border), creating 3 new things to consider during any turn. The Void is particularly nasty, having a might of 7 and counting as two blights for the purpose of overflow.

E The Mysteries are the new mechanic of the game and they are a welcome addition. If you also play with the quest, you better have a lot of table space because these cards are going to be EVERYWHERE. In fact, I'm wondering if there is a board revision coming soon to help with the card placement (and add a mystery track).

The Mystery replace the keys. Whenever you would normally gain a key (typically through a search result), you will instead draw a Mystery card which is similar to the Quest cards. These Mystery cards are used to gain a new resource: Clue points. When you have 10 Clue points, you can trade them in for a Holy Relic just like 3 keys previously.

Immediately upon drawing a Mystery card, you will gain some Clue Points. Then the Mystery card is placed at either a fixed location (or randomly using the Necromancer's movement icons) and typically provides a new action at that location.

These actions vary, but usually you will attempt them and gain even more Clue points.

For Example:

A Mystery card titled Bastion is placed at the Castle when first revealed granting 1 clue point. Then, if at any time the Castle location is clear of all blights, you will gain another +2 clue. Afterwards, the card stays in that location and all heroes gain +1 die when fighting.

E Overall, they certainly make the game more challenging, as sitting in one location and farming the clues is no longer the most efficient route to unlocking a Holy Relic.

Controversely, the Mystery cards add another random element to the game. If you draw a Mystery card that is then placed in a location that is already flooded with Blights, say goodbye to those clues. If that card also gave 0 initial clue points, then your hard-earned search result brought you no closer to that Relic.

S_ With all the expansions now, Darkest Night can get really fiddly and there are a lot of things to keep track of. I like the Mystery cards more than I like the Quests and may even consider removing some of the event cards that create quests (especially the ones that spawn them and add a counter!)

If you wanted a way to boost the difficulty or perhaps just the unpredictability of the main game, In Tales of Old is a good expansion. If you thought it was boring to sit in the mountains and farm keys, In Tales of Old is a great expansion.

I believe In Tales of Old and With an Inner Light are solving the same problem: the heavy reliance on searching that results in less interactive/interesting gameplay. However, where Inner Light forced you to relocate in order to accomplish random quests or be punished, Tales of Old provides an outlet for other non-search focused characters to contribute to the goal of acquiring a Holy Relic. Additionally, the Mystery cards, especially the ones tied to a specific location, are much more thematic.

E What I would like to see in the future:

- In all my many games of Darkest Night, I have seen so few Artifacts. I sometimes forget they are a part of the game. Mystery Cards seemed like a great way to get more of them in play, but it looks like only one of the mysteries can get you one.

- Like I mentioned earlier, the board is getting overloaded with all sorts of cards and tokens. A revised board with areas to denote associated cards would help with the organization. Currently, the Darkness track is used by Darkness and Clues simultaneously. I know many players would like a new location or two, but I'm still content with the current map.

- I think it would also be interesting to have some components removed from the game. I've already taken the liberty of lowering any Blights that have 4 counters down to 2 or 3, to increase diversity.

--

E A note on components:

Victory Point Games seems to be using a new card cutter or corner rounder, as the cards in this expansion are much more cleanly cut and uniformly rounded on the corners than previous cards.

I'm not sure when the change occurred because I also ordered another VPG game not too long ago and they were not cut like these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YM C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your review. It helps~ meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In regards to board space, I have a simple trick. I use both boards, the hard one for players, blights, etc. and the paper one to place all the cards (player and AI) associated with locations. Just a suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Huger wrote:
In regards to board space, I have a simple trick. I use both boards, the hard one for players, blights, etc. and the paper one to place all the cards (player and AI) associated with locations. Just a suggestion.

Very clever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
I thought of printing the map on a playmat so I can roll it up when done, I think we need a tableau with location names (quest and mysteries can sure pile up) so we can put cards aside and keep the map clean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hazard
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huger wrote:

Huh. What a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.