Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you who read my WotW thread, you will know that I was in Nebraska for Christmas visiting In-laws.
That went well, but I was ready to get home by the end.

The Plan:
Leave for Airport 3:00pm Dec-31 Central
Arrive at Airport 3:50pm
Leave Omaha 4:50pm
Arrive at Detroit 7:55pm Eastern
Leave Detroit 9:09pm
Arrive at Baltimore 11:09pm
Go home and spend a quite New Years with my parents 11:30pm
Wake up and go celebrate Christmas with local family 10:00am Jan-01

Reality:
Wake up to snow falling 8:00am Dec-31 Central - wouldn't that have been nicer earlier in the week.
Leave for Airport 3:30pm - Impossible to get 6 people ready to leave the house at appointed time.
Drive EXTREMELY slow since Nebraska doesn't do a good job of plowing roads
Arrive at Airport 4:50pm
Rush to the check-in counter get no information as to if we will catch our flight or not. Did learn that it had been delayed to 5:05pm. We ran down the concourse to find out they hadn't yet started loading passengers. Thanks to pre-printed boarding passes we got on. We just weren't sure if our luggage would make it.
Get on plane 5:10pm
Wait for luggage to be loaded 5:20pm - The luggage loading guys loaded us after another plane that was supposed to be loaded after us.
Push back from the gate 5:40pm
Wait for de-icer truck. 5:50pm - Find out that Northwest's de-icer truck is broken and we have to wait for Delta's de-icer but we are 3rd in line.
Wait for de-icer truck. 6:50pm
Wait for de-icer truck. 7:50pm
Allow passengers to de-plane at your own risk - they couldn't guarantee that if you got off, you would be able to get back on before or if the plan left for Detroit. 8:50pm
Wait for Refueling truck 9:50pm - Since we had waited so long for de-icing we needed fuel. By this time the fuel truck driver had gone home for the evening so we had to wait for him to be called back.
Re-load passengers that had de-planed. 10:50pm
Get de-iced. 11:00pm
Take off 11:19pm
Travel from Central Time Zone to Eastern Time zone and skip over midnight completely.
Arrive in Detroit 2:00am Jan-01 Eastern
Get new travel arrangements to fly to Baltimore leaving at 6:45am
Go to a hotel provided by airline 3:00am
Wake up early enough to get breakfast (bagel) at the hotel and make our flight 5:30am
Get on Airplane 6:15am
Plane takes of 6:45am (wow first flight of the entire trip that actually left on time)
Arrive in Baltimore 8:45am
Find out only one piece of luggage out of 4 actually made it, and report it. 9:15am
Get home 9:30 am
My husband sleeps for an hour, I take a shower and check my work e-mail. Since President Ford had died I wanted to find out if I had any day's off. Whoohoo.. I got Jan 02 off work.
Go to Parents for Christmas celebration 10:30am
Go home to sleep 12:45pm
Wake up 4:00pm
Call to find out about luggage. Learn that it should arrive at 10pm. Stay awake until then. Find out it didn't arrive yet.
Go to sleep 12:00am Jan-02
Wake up 10am to phone ringing... our luggage has arrived.
Friend comes over at 3:30pm - we play Hansa (a Christmas gift)

Come to work Jan-03 type this story up 2 times have my browser mysteriously shut down 2 times. Type it up a 3rd time. And FINALLY get it posted.

Hopefully the rest of my year will be better than the first few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You played Hansa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwandke wrote:
You played Hansa.

Yeah, that was the best part of the 3 days... well I got Hansa and Khet on New Years Christmas so that was good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwandke wrote:
You played Hansa.

Oh, and I forgot to mention... I won big time in the first game too. Then my friend and my husband ganged up on me in the second and I lost big time. But both games were fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
you (originally) left out the best part of the whole year!!!

egyptian laser chess is number one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jwandke wrote:
you (originally) left out the best part of the whole year!!!

egyptian laser chess is number one!

Havn't had a chance to play it yet, so since I'm not a huge fan of abstracts I hope I'll like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wow, crappy time getting home. But, working in the Flight Safety industry I can tell you that way too many accidents have happened because of icing issues. At least you are still alive to type this!

Though, if you were in Omaha you should have called me, I'm sure our 2 trucks at FedEx worked just fine. I'd of made some calls and had your plane de-iced for ya!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mental note for Melsana: Type up stories in notepad and then transfer them to browser. Or type them in browser and store them in buffer before you submit. (ie make a copy!)

But glad you made it after all of that, and you'll still have a great year I am sure! You have egyptian laser chess? Intriguing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow .. what a trip! Glad you made it home eventually.

And - you get a day off because some guy who used to be president died? Wow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bloody hell... Still, at least you got your luggage back.

bluebehir wrote:
Mental note for Melsana: Type up stories in notepad and then transfer them to browser. Or type them in browser and store them in buffer before you submit. (ie make a copy!)

I think she's a bit too sensible to use windows. But I agree with what you're trying to say...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthien wrote:
Wow, crappy time getting home. But, working in the Flight Safety industry I can tell you that way too many accidents have happened because of icing issues. At least you are still alive to type this!

Though, if you were in Omaha you should have called me, I'm sure our 2 trucks at FedEx worked just fine. I'd of made some calls and had your plane de-iced for ya!

If only I had known. But yes you are right, at least we did wait to get de-iced rather than just risk it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bluebehir wrote:

But glad you made it after all of that, and you'll still have a great year I am sure! You have egyptian laser chess? Intriguing!

Yeah, the 3rd time I typed it up in gmail where it saves your draft ever minute or so automatically. Of course that time it didn't randomly close on me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lardarse wrote:

I think she's a bit too sensible to use windows.

lol - at work I use linux - and that is what I was typing it up in. At home I do still use windows, although we are seriously looking at getting a Mac for our next computer ( Jeremy is talking us into it. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:

Yeah, the best part about working for the Government (even as a contractor).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Melsana wrote:
melissa wrote:

Yeah, the best part about working for the Government (even as a contractor).

I really need to get a government job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Payne
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmb
Melsana wrote:
Lardarse wrote:
I think she's a bit too sensible to use windows.

lol - at work I use linux

That's what I was implying

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.