Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone used the standees/character tokens as provided on the TaslimanIsland wbesite?
http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=4716

If so, how are you standing them up? Is there a specific plastic base you're using? I found my print-offs to be too thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gray Deth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i got some 1/4" square rods, cut them about 3/4" long, cleaned them up a little and painted them.

(colors and length varies just slightly as i wanted to represent certain characteristics better - eg toad bases are green).

i then glued them all to either side of each standee. i used whatever i had lying around in order to hold the base together during the glue drying phase. it looks ok but, it's a little lighter than i prefer. still, good enough for me.

--
you can buy token stands in various colors but, i wanted to be cheap. the FFG stands' gaps are too large for typical cardstock/paper thicknesses.

i've also tried using small binder clips (removing the little handles) but, didn't like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For stuff like this I've used thick foam board from the craft store cut to length and for appropriate width, then use an adjustable-depth cutter or exacto knife to put in a card slot. A drop of glue to make it permanent and so you can pick up the piece by the card without worrying about the card sliding out.

Binder clips are easier though; they just look tacky.

Alternatively you could try to print them in a way that allows you to make stand-ups. The front and back (or mirror image if there is no back) of the card go head-to-head so that when you fold on the divide you have a pyramid-shaped standup. Even nicer is if you leave room at the standees' feet to fold under and glue a base.

You can see how I used the pyramid method here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One simple solution is to glue a thin strip of cardboard (about 0.5cm high, same width as the figure) along the bottom edge. With that in place, plastic bases have something to grip and will hold the characters just fine.

i paste my paper cutouts to old business cards. Those aren't thick enough for my plastic bases to grab, but adding a thin strip of cardboard along the bottom resolves that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Hey all - I'm new to this game. Why would you use standees instead of the plastic figures provided in the game? Is there a PnP version, or just personal preference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
mattprice wrote:
Hey all - I'm new to this game. Why would you use standees instead of the plastic figures provided in the game? Is there a PnP version, or just personal preference?

I still use the minis but I do find some of them very similar and hard to tell apart. Standees are generally more distinguishable from one another.

For some people it might be to reminisce by replicating the style of the earlier versions which used standees?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody posted recently with some 3D printed stands for the unpainted minis to go in.

Looked pretty cool. I'll try to find the link.

(here you go)

http://www.cleversteps.eu/index.php?route=product/category&p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:

It's just a different look/feel, or to use custom characters or those from sets one doesn't have. e.g. you can download many of them (adapted from the Digital Edition) from talismanisland.com and then use the Alchemist even if you don't have the Highland set (which is where he comes from).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.