Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Hancox
Australia
Melbourne
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we ended up with a 4 player RT last night. Ryan, Terry, Wim and myself. Wim was introduced into the world of gaming for the first time. Swapping his model trains for little plastic ones that only moved when stuck to terry's sleeve.
Game took about 2.5 hours, but also included rules explanation. Was a good game, with a big opening bid by Terry to win the first turn. This was because there was 7 red cubes surrounding NY and there was a NY hotel AND the 2 actions card up for grabs. So not only did he get the NY hotel but he got to build out of there as well, and took the prime spot. I am in 2 minds about that 2 actions card coming up in the very first round, one it does make a nice start for someone if they can get it, but then you SHOULD have to pay big for it, Terry had to take 3 shares in round one to make it happen, so that is a little off set. Anyone else have any thoughts on a house rule on this?
Before the game, Ryan and Terry made a pact, not to interfere with each other during the game, so in round one, Terry went to NY and Ryan went to Boston. Nice work guys!
Terry stormed out to a huge lead early, with all the goods in the NE and the NY hotel, I started in remote PITTS with a long term strategy, I would have not much until i could get to a 4 train. Wim started off in Cinci and tried the Cinci Chicago route.
Game closed up somewhat with Ryan and myself catching up with Terry, I took the most shares I have ever taken 7, to get up to 4 and 5 locos early, then really started shippign some points. Terry and Ryan, 'surprisingly', got caught up in a battle in the south east as well as the NE and terry played some 'innocent' blocking tiles. Ryan announced that he 'hated' Terry.
Wim, suffered in the plains, as he was still only on a 2 train 3/4 through the game, but since I had built a lot of central track and was sucking cubes back to Pitts, it didnt really leave him to many options out West, no point in spending the money to a 4 train when there is no 4 links, he made a play to go up to Detroit an then on to Toronto, but I stopped that idea.
Game ended with Terry winning, with myself 2nd, Ryan 3rd and Wim 4th. There was about 7 points separating 1st and 2nd and about the same for 2nd to 3rd.
Share issue, Lee 7, Terry 5, Wim and Ryan 2.
Gotta spend money to make money it seems.
I was also thinking of implementing the Age of Steam bidding rules to make the auction fairer, but then after that game, where 80% of the bids were won for under $2 I realised that it probably wasn't worth it.
We got stuck with the same cards on the board for a long time, as no one took any and they weren't being won. I assume that they stay there and are not discarded.
Wim, said he enjoyed it, and was looking forward to his second try at it. We promised him one more game before we introduce him to Age of Steam. As Ryan says "it'll change your life", but since Wim has 3 year old triplets, he'll probably find managing a AoS board simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiwifirst wrote:
terry played some 'innocent' blocking tiles. Ryan announced that he 'hated' Terry.

So funny
Recent in a heated Catan Game I had a friend beat another friend to one side of a port. The whole distance rule didn't allow for the unlucky one to settle it. He promptly left a few turns later. (Bad Form) It didn't bother me too much because it was early in the game and we still had 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correct Eagle Games agree that 2 action cards is too much. But they did not want any exception to the rules and did not correct this. Shuffle the card back and draw a new one is more or less an official house rule approved by EG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hancox
Australia
Melbourne
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bdean152 wrote:
kiwifirst wrote:
terry played some 'innocent' blocking tiles. Ryan announced that he 'hated' Terry.

So funny
Recent in a heated Catan Game I had a friend beat another friend to one side of a port. The whole distance rule didn't allow for the unlucky one to settle it. He promptly left a few turns later. (Bad Form) It didn't bother me too much because it was early in the game and we still had 3.

Heh, Some people just get so antsy when the get, as we call it, 'shafted'. Fortantly for us, Ryan's hatred lasts about 3 seconds, then he forgets and carries on. Then he hates someone else, or himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
The house rule I recommend, and that I believe is also used in RRT tournaments, is that at most one Railroad Executive card can be available in the first turn. If two show up, the second is shuffled back into the deck and replaced.

An initial Railroad Executive card (that's the one that gives you two more immediate actions) is very valuable, and you're correct that it should cause the bidding to go high. Make 'em pay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.