Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: forum-discuss [+] recommendation [+] [View All]
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I grew up in the 70's and early 80's. I do remember "The Day After", and the hours spent on my Apple II playing Wasteland. Post-apocalyptic was one of the greatest settings for RPGs and videogames. The Cold War and nuclear paranoia were all too real for me and my friends (and of course, the generation that preceded us was even more into it).

So, when a few days ago someone posted about post-apocalyptic games, I said to myself "you know, that's a great idea. There's a dearth of Wasteland-type board games, and kids today would eat it up".

And then it hit me. Would they? I'm thinking of my 2-year old boy that will probably get into games a few years from now, and who will not know the fear of a nuclear holocaust. Let's face it; the chances of an apocalyptic nuclear war are pretty much nil nowadays --not saying there might not be a nuclear incident, or even a nuclear terrorist attack. But the "whole world turned into a barren mutant-infested wasteland" scenario just doesn't seem viable anymore.

Which is a Good Thing, I guess, except that my boy will probably never "get into" the post-apocalyptic scenario the way I did when I was a kid. Which is the basis for this lamentation. Is this really the end of "post-apocalysm"? Will the new generation of gamers never know the joys of shooting mutants and looking for the last pockets of civilization, always wearing your rad suit as you scavenge the last remains of the Old Cities? What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Haven't you been watching "Jerchico" on CBS? Granted it's a little cheesy, but it's like "The Day After".

I love the Post Apocalyptic genre'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't there recently a "Jerimiah" on cable, too, that Mongoose made into a RPG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
DrFlanagan wrote:
Wasn't there recently a "Jerimiah" on cable, too, that Mongoose made into a RPG?

Hmm...Haven't seen this one before. They have a DVD of season one. Maybe I'll BT the first couple episodes to see if it's worth buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Nah...

...more Fallout stuff is definately coming, STALKER is coming for PC that has a post-apoc feel, even if it isn't, and Cormac McCarthy's latest book The Road, is even in the post-apoc genre.

It might not be as big as in the days of the doomsday clock, Mad Max, Terminator, and the cold war, but post-apoc will never die!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be too young to have a good say in this. I was born in '81 but I grew up in Oak Ridge, TN, and was very aware of the possibilities. I also eat up 1940-1980's eras scifi. So here's my take. I don't think future generations will experience post-apocolyptic scenerios the same way. I agree that nuclear winter is not a prevailing concern anymore. However, with the current recent avian flu scare, I think that a biological winter of sorts is a concern that modern children will grow up with. I think that stories like 28 Days Later and The Stand will be as influential to this generation as nuclear holicost stories were to the last couple of generations. Remember, in the end, nuclear post-apocolyptic stories are essentially stories of human survival. This theme has been around as long as any other and will continue to be compelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the reality of global nuclear conflict is even more likely than during the cold war. The tension of the cold war depended on mutually assured destruction, a scenario so horrific that it prevented the near simultaneous launch of hundreds of warheads back and forth that would have ended civilization as we know it in a matter of days if not hours.

I remember hearing that "The Day After" was not realistic because if the U.S. and Russia ever got into a nuclear showdown, there would not be nearly as many survivors. Now, "The Day After" is not realistic enough, because dirty bombs guarantee plenty of survivors, who will face certain, slow, painful death within weeks.

Now, mutual destruction is not assured. Which means someone with a nuke might light one up hoping to wipe out an enemy and escape total annihilation. The prospect of nukes falling into the hands of people who have proven their willingness to commit suicide on the back of a bomb, like Slim Pickens in the final moments of "Dr. Strangelove," means that a new scenario is becoming more likely: an alliance-driven nuclear domino effect that will be a slow-motion train wreck of radioactive death by degrees.

All it takes is one nuke in Jerusalem. Or Mecca. Or Rome. Or Tehran. Or Damascus. Or New York. Or Washington. Or Moscow.

Post-apocalyptic was only fun when it was fantasy; now it's the reality we're all trying to escape from.

Happy New Year! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
This is why the Planet of the Apes series is mandatory viewing for youngin's.
And now you can get the 70's Saturday morning show Ark II on DVD!

http://www.70slivekidvid.com/ark.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Ark-II-Complete-2/dp/B000IU37UC/sr=8-1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! I had totally forgotten about Ark II. I used to watch that as a kid! Born in '70, you know. Thanks for the memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I feel they should have stopped updating the doomsday clock the day the wall came down...

...what they did instead was to redefine the criteria from having a M.A.D. event (real doomsday) to having ANY nuclear event happen in anger.

Sorry, that is NOT doomsday to have a few tenths mini-nuke go off somewhere. Nor would a limited exchange be doomsday.

So, I actually agree that the nuclear apoc senario is remote now... still doesn't mean it is impossible or that some other sort of doomsday couldn't happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Haha Ark II, I remember that, and Logans Run the Series. I also want to find this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads

Looks cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I still think Friedman Friese needs to do a Post Apocalypse treatment of a game. He did cannibalism already!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
And now you can get the 70's Saturday morning show Ark II on DVD!

That Ark II was so amazingly bad, that I usually turned it over to reruns of I Love Lucy (and that is saying something!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actualy, my next design-project will be an action-game set in a post-apocalyptical enviroment. It takes place in a desolate desert setting where survivors of a disaster fight a fierce battle to stay alive
in a very hostile enviroment, developing new transporation and outposts.
Think Command & Conquer in a mad max setting and you can almost taste the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Sparks
United States
Christiansburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a city-building style of game with a good post-apoc theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're into comics, one I recommend is Wasteland, by Oni Press.

http://www.onipress.com/thebigwet/

At that site you can download the first issue for free. Five issues have come out so far, and are being collected in a trade that will be out in a month or two. It's good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I think the genre is just underused - not because it's less likely these days but because it's such a niche market. For a game to sell, it's got to connect with at least a tiny tiny percentage of the population out there (orcs and dragons). But post-apocalysm probably only connects with such a small percentage of the game-playing population that you could count the actual market in the hundreds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
diamondspider wrote:
That Ark II was so amazingly bad, that I usually turned it over to reruns of I Love Lucy (and that is saying something!)

Little Ricky was no talking chimp! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
It may have reached its half-life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael humphreys
United States
Carney’s Point
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:

Ha!

Anyway. Funny this being brought up now. I have been trying to find a good Role Playing setting for this. Anyone have any experience?
I have heard of Jeremiah, Darwin's World, some Ocean one, maybe even World of Darkness. But I am unsure of them. Any others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Damnation Alley is required watching as well. Came out the same year as Star Wars and got hammered in the theaters. Not that its a great film to start with but its good end of the world cheese to be sure. I have a decent VHS-DVD rip that I dig out when I need my end of the world fix.

The Charlton Heston Trilogy is also a must (IMHO)
The Omega Man
Planet of the Apes
Soylent Green

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
stowcreek wrote:
sisteray wrote:

Ha!

Anyway. Funny this being brought up now. I have been trying to find a good Role Playing setting for this. Anyone have any experience?
I have heard of Jeremiah, Darwin's World, some Ocean one, maybe even World of Darkness. But I am unsure of them. Any others?

I tried Darwin's World, and it is pretty good for d20.

As usual, I had to create my own system inspired by Fallout (same stats). As usual with RPGs, it is all about the story.

I remember playing Aftermath in probably 1982... it wasn't that great.

I also like the idea of the Terminator setting... 'bots vs. humans! It has a Cthulhu feeling of hopelessness.

I also have a friend who has great taste who claims that The Morrow Project is a terrific post-apoc RPG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
i think im one of the last of the generation that grew up on all things 80's. it is a great theme the post apocolypse but i dont think it would work these days, mainly because most my generation and younger doesnt understand about the fear of nuclear war is really like!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
stowcreek wrote:
sisteray wrote:

Ha!

The one and only "Morrow Project"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
CHA was my dump stat
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I miss that genre also. I bet the difference is that if you were a kid in Reagan America, the idea of having your city nuked into the stone age was pretty easy to imagine. Especially if you lived 25 miles away from a major air force base like I did. Nowadays the kids are like "Cold War? Wha???"

One of the best of this genre was "A Boy and His Dog." The original Harlan Ellison story, the Richard Corbin comic, and the movie with Don Johnson all have wonderful things about them.

To this comix reader, it seems like zombies are the new post-apocalyptic. Maybe this is true in games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.