Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CamelCamelCamel says this is the lowest this has hit on Amazon, finally picked up a copy for myself.

Homeland: The Game on Amazon

BGG: Homeland: The Game

CSI - out of stock
Miniature Market - $33.99
Cardhaus - $33.99
BGW - $35.00

If you need a reason to grab one just check out Charlie Theel's excellent review here: An Operative, a Veteran, and a Political Animal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Linkhart
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
Hmmm, I wonder if there's room for this in my collection. I already have Battlestar Galactica, Dark Moon, Dead of Winter, The Resistance, and Shadows Over Camelot among others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky V
United States
INDIANAPOLIS
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I dont have Battlestar Galactica, Dead of Winter but just recently got Dark moon..do you guys things its work getting this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Varian
United States
Franklin
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rocky9555 wrote:
I dont have Battlestar Galactica, Dead of Winter but just recently got Dark moon..do you guys things its work getting this.

I'd love to have people's opinions on this too. I was holding out on getting Dark Moon - but could this be about the same experience (or maybe better?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Full disclosure: only played Dark Moon and Homeland twice each, so I am no expert. I think they're fairly comparable experiences in terms of game length / depth; I would have to give the nod to Homeland though, but if someone said they preferred Dark Moon, I wouldn't argue it. They're both fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hsu
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gale Force 9 usually makes some amazing games, I'm hooked on Sons of Anarchy which is usually around the 50-75% off section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Friedly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
We've played Homeland a couple of times. We were all new to the game and it would have been nice to see the threads here and/or have an experienced Homeland player with us before/during our first game. Our inexperience, I think, made it possible for the terrorist mole to win. Anyway, I've played Dead of Winter a few times and was not as impressed with it as I thought I would be. Probably the hype I saw before playing it. Have not tried Battlestar. Mostly because the play time seems daunting. So, something I like about Homeland is how easy it is to play and it does not take much time. I love the challenges to being a loyal agent or the political opportunist. I really like the interaction among players. So if someone is thinking of getting Homeland I'd definitely recommend it, but, I'd also strongly recommend reading the threads here at BGG so the loyal agents and political opportunist have a better chance at winning. This is a good price btw. Below the cost of ordering a copy from my distributor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Game Bear wrote:
We've played Homeland a couple of times. We were all new to the game and it would have been nice to see the threads here and/or have an experienced Homeland player with us before/during our first game. Our inexperience, I think, made it possible for the terrorist mole to win. Anyway, I've played Dead of Winter a few times and was not as impressed with it as I thought I would be. Probably the hype I saw before playing it. Have not tried Battlestar. Mostly because the play time seems daunting. So, something I like about Homeland is how easy it is to play and it does not take much time. I love the challenges to being a loyal agent or the political opportunist. I really like the interaction among players. So if someone is thinking of getting Homeland I'd definitely recommend it, but, I'd also strongly recommend reading the threads here at BGG so the loyal agents and political opportunist have a better chance at winning. This is a good price btw. Below the cost of ordering a copy from my distributor.

Dead of Winter is fine for what it is, but no, it really doesn't live up to the hype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Shanowitz
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Steve and David, how would you compare Homeland to Dead of Winter? I also feel like Dead of Winter is overrated, so would you say that Homeland is a better game overall?

Some of the Homeland comments mention that there is a lot of randomness, which is one of my issues with DoW (in addition to imbalances between the different personal goals). Any thoughts on randomness and balance comparing the two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Friedly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
My first thought was that I feel we have more control in dealing with the randomness that may happen in Homeland than compared to the randomness that may happen in Dead of Winter. Not sure that makes sense.
In Homeland I think it is easier to get other players to focus your limited resources on stopping the high scoring plots that pop up and not waste those resources on trying to stop everything.
EDIT: I'd recommend Homeland over Dead of Winter. But that might be because my simple brain finds it easier to wrap itself around playing Homeland. Put it this way if anyone asked if I wanted to play either Homeland or Dead of Winter which would I choose? Homeland, but, I wouldn't refuse a game of Dead of Winter.
EDIT#2: I should add that talking me into playing a game of anything is not very hard. I mean if someone asked me if I'd like to play a quick game of Rhino Hero I'd be in for that too. Sorry, but, I'm an easy target when it comes to getting someone to play a board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for linking my review Ricky.

I'm a big fan of both Homeland and Dark Moon. My Dark Moon review appears on BGG as well.

They both fill a similar niche (short traitor game inspired by BSG) but they do feel different to me in terms of play. Dark Moon is more in your face with its traitor element as you have to put dice forward in public. You're also guaranteed a traitor in Dark Moon.

Homeland is a little more contemplative and thinky. Homeland is also semi-cooperative and there is only one winner, which is a huge shift in dynamic. I think I like Homeland slightly more but they each have their own personality and I'm hanging on to both. I did get rid of BSG and all of its expansions a few months ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theaaron wrote:
For Steve and David, how would you compare Homeland to Dead of Winter? I also feel like Dead of Winter is overrated, so would you say that Homeland is a better game overall?

Some of the Homeland comments mention that there is a lot of randomness, which is one of my issues with DoW (in addition to imbalances between the different personal goals). Any thoughts on randomness and balance comparing the two?

Ugh, I don't want to compare the two. I'll say this; considering DoW costs twice the price (Cardhaus sells for $50), I think Homeland is more game per dollar, easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cheipaz geimur
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
so the takeaway of the Homeland/BSG/DoW/Dark Moon topic is... buy all of them? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
young281 wrote:
so the takeaway of the Homeland/BSG/DoW/Dark Moon topic is... buy all of them? laugh

Or... try them at your friendly local board game meetup. And whichever one you prefer, you can't go wrong with any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo De Luca
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Game Bear wrote:
I mean if someone asked me if I'd like to play a quick game of Rhino Hero I'd be in for that too.

That's because Rhino Hero is awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Holm
United States
South Haven
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board Game Bear wrote:
My first thought was that I feel we have more control in dealing with the randomness that may happen in Homeland than compared to the randomness that may happen in Dead of Winter. Not sure that makes sense.
In Homeland I think it is easier to get other players to focus your limited resources on stopping the high scoring plots that pop up and not waste those resources on trying to stop everything.
EDIT: I'd recommend Homeland over Dead of Winter. But that might be because my simple brain finds it easier to wrap itself around playing Homeland. Put it this way if anyone asked if I wanted to play either Homeland or Dead of Winter which would I choose? Homeland, but, I wouldn't refuse a game of Dead of Winter.
EDIT#2: I should add that talking me into playing a game of anything is not very hard. I mean if someone asked me if I'd like to play a quick game of Rhino Hero I'd be in for that too. Sorry, but, I'm an easy target when it comes to getting someone to play a board game.

I can attest to that! Steve will play anything - we always rope him into Feld games. :-) Simple brain - huh? for that I disagree!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.