Subject: Super Dungeon Legends and SDE 2nd Ed. Announced rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
See official news with lots more description and a few images here: http://sodapopminiatures.com/clnews/newsitem/view/id/128/

This will all be part of a Kickstarter featuring three products:
d10-1 Super Dungeon Explore: 2nd Edition, featuring updated cards, new sculpts and tiles to bring everything from Super Dungeon Explore in line with Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King
d10-2 The Midnight Tower, a Level expansion
d10-3 Super Dungeon Legends boxed set with campaign play; crafting; new dice; smaller rooms and tunnels; rules for narratives, NPCs, and more.

It will be launching later this year, though with "several weeks" of previews I'd guess we're looking at November/December.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
2nd Edition is the big question mark. Will it add enough to be worth it if you already have the 1st Edition? Are the new sculpts going to better? The base core set is honestly a high standard to live up to, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm not sure how that's going to fly. The news says that this is all combined into "a single pledge." But it's the long-time players of SDE who are most likely to want Legends and a new expansion... who are also most likely to already own SDE 1.0.

It sounds like they are planning to make those three items be the $100 base pledge. But I'm expecting enough grousing from SDE fans that Soda Pop will not make us rebuy the original game just to pledge for new content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lamprey
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omg... I have invested so much into SDE that I think it's getting to the point where I won't be able to keep up and just leave it where it is for now. I LOVE the game but they are pumping this stuff out so fast...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Johnson
Germany
Stade
Nds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really looking forward to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I know the tiles from SD1 are a different size, but they already released upgraded cards for everything in the box. I'm not sure I care about alternative sculpts, but if they jam in new dudes, I'll probably break down and buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atila Kawauti
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im really curious about the "new sculpts" of the old heroes / monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kawauti wrote:
Im really curious about the "new sculpts" of the old heroes / monsters.

They've said for a long time that they plan to rerelease the original base set with new sculpts. This is in part because the original base required quite a bit of assembly by the customer, whereas their newer stuff is a little simpler and preassembled.

Though there's also this bit, maybe as a consolation:

Quote:
To further increase replayability, all monsters come with multiple profiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dragon warband is also noticeably weaker than all the new stuff, so that could stand to be beefed up. The kobalds are okay, but could even be split up or tuned better. Rex is still one of my favorite mini bosses though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got sde original box and forgotten king. why do I need to pay 100 or any full amount for the stuff I already have? not sure what to think about this 2.0 thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I'm also all-in on SDE to date. There's a TON of people on the soda pop forums arguing about what's good and bad about 2.0. But I think on the whole it's good for both the quality of the game and the sales model for their product. I think the warbands idea is an excellent way to package the game. Overall the rules overhaul is positive. And we got most of the stuff people were clamoring for back in the day (more tiles, more bosses, etc). I'm less interested in a campaign system, but whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jackson
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skolo wrote:
I got sde original box and forgotten king. why do I need to pay 100 or any full amount for the stuff I already have? not sure what to think about this 2.0 thing

FWIW I think the main draw of this is the Campaign rules and the Midnight Tower. The kickstarter probably bundles all 3 together but once its out you can buy them separately if you really dont want the updated dragonback peaks sculpts and tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
I'm less interested in a campaign system, but whatever.

Next stop: Super Dungeon Legacy. Box set comes with a butane lighter to melt down destroyed minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chozo Tull
msg tools
I do hope that these separate products will constitute separate pledges.

I got the upgrade deck and the 1st ed box second hand less than a month ago so there is no need for me to buy that box again, but the other two products I am really interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But...but...didn't we just get cards to update SDE to FK...?

I just finished painting some Pets and Creeps to play FK with my SDE figures...

Sometimes I really hate being a completionist...

Oh wait...this means more chibis - all is forgiven...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to new sculpts along with 'pallet swap' rules, but I am wondering if 2.0 is going to fix some of the many problems from TFK which has spawned so many houserule versions? The current rules from TFK is simply not a good ruleset and not an attractive game to play.

Unless Ninja All Stars goes grossly off the rails from a mini quality POV I will probably back just for the minis and be pleasantly surprised if the rules are not fixed from the current TFK.

AQ:Inferno will probably get table time and SDE 2.0 will be cool models for Chibi D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nkelsch wrote:
Looking forward to new sculpts along with 'pallet swap' rules, but I am wondering if 2.0 is going to fix some of the many problems from TFK which has spawned so many houserule versions? The current rules from TFK is simply not a good ruleset and not an attractive game to play.

I'd be surprised to see another rules overhaul. Forgotten King doesn't suit everyone's desires, but it seems to me the proliferation of variants has more to do with disagreement about which parts of Forgotten King are better or worse than the original... not a coherent set of agreed-upon problems with the ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Copying my response from another thread:

Concerned that the wording so far suggests that you have to buy in to all three (like the Forgotten King KS with it's single pledge level). As cool as sculpts of new heroes etc. are I already have a fully painted base set and don't wish to have another one. I really hope they'll do the Midnight Tower and Legends as a separate pledge (or pledges). I suspect that there'll be a lot of people stating the same so I hope that they listen!

I find the new rulebook thing amusing with the 'last year of player feedback'! Most of us have only had the game for around 6 months and they were told of several errors with the books before they went to print!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonahmaul wrote:
I find the new rulebook thing amusing with the 'last year of player feedback'! Most of us have only had the game for around 6 months and they were told of several errors with the books before they went to print!

Hey, I just hope they really do hit up the many currently unanswered questions in the FAQ on the Soda Pop forums. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The updated tiles and cards had better be released separately, or I'm out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:

Since that was the first reaction by several people here, on the official forums, and even in the comments of the FK Kickstarter... I'd say they're well aware of the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwreschnig wrote:
tumorous wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:

Since that was the first reaction by several people here, on the official forums, and even in the comments of the FK Kickstarter... I'd say they're well aware of the issue.

On the other hand, they don't have a great record of incorporating feedback, in a timely manner or ever. Maybe they'll draft some more unpaid not-even-interns to summarize it for them! Or maybe all their email will break for another month and no one will notice again!

*sigh*

This is kind of my worry as well. They were so concerned about having a single pledge on the KS so it was simple to follow and not having exclusives (which is a great idea) I'm concerned that they'll be committed to doing so again. Given the noise from people about not wanting to buy the base game again (new sculpts or not) I am hopeful that they will have different pledge levels too. Having said that if it's cheap enough I may get tempted by new shiny models (though I suspect not given how much of FK I still have to paint).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kelsch
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they have learned their lessons about being greedy and fake stretch goals as well. It crushed Bunnies vs zombies and heavily stalled out NAS twice due to fake stretches.

I am prepared for the 'we expected this to be a small KS' when they don't get the runaway numbers they expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fake stretch goals are par for the course as well. What they need to do is not make the mistake of having things that should be included in the base game(s) as stretch goals. Pretty much all the extras will be planned out in advance though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soda Pop will post more previews and updates every Monday and Thursday, so I'll plan to add anything newsworthy to this thread for those who don't want to follow their blog on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.