Popular Tags: [View All]
Strike Force was robbed!
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We played two players, with 300 point armies.

I took Su-Bak-Na and Ki-Mo-She for 290. I hadn't used Ki-Mo-She before and figured Su-Bak-Na's +1 to all rolls would help her. I wanted to be done quickly too, so I didn't want to spend hours making a choice.

Tim had Syvarris, Aubrien Elves, Guilty McCreech, and Krav Maga Agents. His army was picked partly because he'd already seen I didn't have any ranged units.

We played on a board which featured two bridges over mixed terrain of lava and stone. We pretty much used the same starting setup for all four games. I had my two units on the road leading to one bridge. He had Syvarris and the Aubriens near one bridge and Guilty and the Krav near the other.

My strategy was simple - run Ki-Mo-She down and kill the elves then try to take Syvarris or kill him.

First game, Tim wins initiative, and the elves frenzy twice allowing him to move up and shoot at Ki-Mo-She. She takes a wound. I charge forward and find she only fits on the bridge sideways. I kill the lone Aubrien in range. He moves the Aubriens again, scoring two frenzies this time and killing her. Su-Bak-Na enters the fray and kills the Aubriens before Syvarris takes him down and Tim wins.

Second game, I win initiative and move Ki-Mo-She up. He moves the Aubriens, no frenzy. I move to a spot where I'm adjacent to all 3 and kill one. I roll for toxic skin and score nothing. He shoots with the two remaining and hits for two damage. I kill a second one and roll for skin. Still nothing. He attacks a third time with his last archer but doesn't win. Next turn, I win inititiave again and kill the last Aubrien. I move towards Syvarris who kills me on turn 2. Su-Bak-Na moves up and over the course of the next few turns his 7 die attack cleans out Tim's side of the field and I win.

Third game went similar to the first except that Su-Bak-Na managed to survive Syvarris' onslaught long enough to close with him and beat him. I move in on the Krav, but they lay down withering fire and I die.

Fourth game (these have been fast, so we've decided to play best 3 of 5). Tim wins initiative and moves up the Aubriens. He then frenzies twice and kill Ki-Mo-She before I even move her once. I have all my markers on her, so Su-Bak-Na stands idle while the Aubriens pepper him for two more rounds (luckily, no more frenzies). When the turn ends I'm at 2 life. He wins initiative and kills me on the first round when he manages to frenzy again.

In looking back, I never once managed to get toxic skin to work and never lived long enough to try Ki-Mo-She's mind shackle (you have to be adjacent to a unique figure). A big part of this loss has to go to unlucky die rolls. I had about 10 shots at the skin all told and never made it work. Tim's frenzy rolls were harder, but he made many of them. The elves are definitely worth it. Combine them with a Venoc Warlord to add to their frenzy and things would have been even harder for me.
Overall, I don't think Ki-Mo-Shee was worth the 130 I paid for her. Su-Nak-Na was worth 160. His 7 die attack worked great at getting rid of opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Your opponent definitey had the advantage in these fights. Strength in numbers and range is very hard to overcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Always have some ranged units of your own to counter attack and make them divide their firepower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not a huge fan of how powerful ranged units often are in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowjow wrote:
I'm still not a huge fan of how powerful ranged units often are in this game.

Its as powerful as itshould be. If your army doesn't take a ranged unit, you should lose. If someone with a sword is going against someone with a gun, the sword loses. Thats why there are so many units to choose from, you can mix ranged and melee, along with all sorts of abilities. Doesn't seem unbalanced, especially with the point cost of most good ranged units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen far too many really lopsided games due to various aspects of ranged fire to agree with you completely. As the game stands (depending on the map of course), GENERALLY I've found that ranged units are generally much more valuable than melee-only units of the same cost. I've also found that basing your army mostly on ranged fire makes for pretty boring games after a while. Our group went through this phase, where units like the Krav agents and some of the other ranged mainstays were MVPs and there was very little reason to choose anything else (except for fast attack or range-immune units like Drake). The game's experienced a bit of a revival in our group as of late because we've finally started moving away from ranged-heavy "to-win" armies and started playing with units we just want to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowjow wrote:
I've seen far too many really lopsided games due to various aspects of ranged fire to agree with you completely. As the game stands (depending on the map of course), GENERALLY I've found that ranged units are generally much more valuable than melee-only units of the same cost. I've also found that basing your army mostly on ranged fire makes for pretty boring games after a while. Our group went through this phase, where units like the Krav agents and some of the other ranged mainstays were MVPs and there was very little reason to choose anything else (except for fast attack or range-immune units like Drake). The game's experienced a bit of a revival in our group as of late because we've finally started moving away from ranged-heavy "to-win" armies and started playing with units we just want to play with.

Well, we have a large collection, and smaller maps, and you would think Ranged guys would be MVPS. They are good, but stuff like the Krav maga agents go down, because of the cover offered by the map. With a well designed map, with some good cover, any unit is good. Its all about using the terrain. Make a balanced map, you get a balanced game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.