Popular Tags: [View All]
James Thayer
United States
Universal City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I followed the link to preorder the 2nd edition through Stronghold Games and was met with the first photo of the new wooden components.

http://files.ctctcdn.com/d7c219fe001/639ee387-60f9-4d77-bd56...

Not too hot on how similar two of the figures are, but assuming everything gets a paint job I doubt I'll care too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of 2 sword-wielders, they could make one with an axe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword n shield guy is probably special character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not impressed. They're ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Not impressed. They're ok.

I don't like them at all. The DnDeeples I have for LoW are much better. The proportions on the people are all off. I'd rather have the blocks from the original game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...I like them a lot. Are they going to be painted though? I don't know if I'm big on the natural look, but I'm also not against it either. Also, I'll bet those archers don't hold up for very long. The bows look so fragile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I prefer the cubes and blocks from first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I like the red green white colors better myself for the monsters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hope
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think they look fantastic. Not sure why people would prefer cubes over anything with detail. I'm sure they'll look a lot better with a paint job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am talking about the stained cubes that I am assuming replace the colored cubes for the attacking goblins, orcs, and trolls. The defender meeples are nice, and I understand the random draw factor eliminating the differentiation of the cubes but I cant help but think that this couldn't have been worked around for a small? 5$? price point inclusion of a bag of crappy cubes to determine the troop types and then enemeeplees in the stock of the desired types to put on the board?

I may be way off on thee costs of such an endeavor but might be cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Furry Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1932f20 wrote:

I completely agree. The new ones seem more expensive and really unattractive. (They even look like they could break easily.)

I don't have stronghold, yet, and was waiting for the new edition to come out but the way it looks i will have to try to find an old edition somewhere. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis (just my village's name)
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
EternalFury wrote:
1932f20 wrote:

I completely agree. The new ones seem more expensive and really unattractive. (They even look like they could break easily.)

I don't have stronghold, yet, and was waiting for the new edition to come out but the way it looks i will have to try to find an old edition somewhere. :/

Totally agree with you, I'm in the same position as you are. Let's wait and see...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Petersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
Waiting in line for RFTG: Alien Artifacts since 2010
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you kidding?? They look great! If only I could get 1775 looking like this instead of cubes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMON WRAY
Bermuda
Devonshire
Devonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agiorgitis wrote:
EternalFury wrote:
1932f20 wrote:

Totally agree with you, I'm in the same position as you are. Let's wait and see...

Ditto. These meeples look fragile and the natural look is poor & smacks of them being unfinished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be very surprised if they came unfinished like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAybe they'll offer a seperate upgrade pack of colored cubes so that we can replace the custom meeples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod A.
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revenant wrote:
agiorgitis wrote:
EternalFury wrote:
1932f20 wrote:

Ditto. These meeples look fragile and the natural look is poor & smacks of them being unfinished.

Given that the game depends on different colors of cubes to represent different types of units, I'm guessing that picture is to demonstrate the new defender shapes and does not fully represent what's going to ship with the game, color/finish-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teufelaffe wrote:
Revenant wrote:
agiorgitis wrote:
EternalFury wrote:
1932f20 wrote:

Totally agree with you, I'm in the same position as you are. Let's wait and see... :(

Given that the game depends on different colors of cubes to represent different types of units, I'm guessing that picture is to demonstrate the new defender shapes and does not fully represent what's going to ship with the game, color/finish-wise.

Yup, that was my exact thoughts as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these are prototypes...the final product will no doubt have painted bits. To me, it looks like these were cut with a laser, thus the black/soot.

I've owned the original SH for three years now...still unplayed. The crazy thing is, I want to buy this edition too. I think I need to get out of this hobby...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just astonished at how thick they are, or is that just because they are prototypes.. and is that a better look at the new board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:
I'm just astonished at how thick they are, or is that just because they are prototypes.. and is that a better look at the new board?

Good catch! I like what I see on that board - it's more promising that the tiny snippit we saw in another preview thread.

As for the minis - I'm OK with them. I agree they'll probably come painted and they have the potential to look very cool all lined up on the castle walls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Dabrowiecki
United States
MAPLEWOOD
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's old board. Third wall section on the right from the gate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these look amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Mc'Art
Belgium
Lillois
flag msg tools
badge
AllYearLong Santa
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope not all cubes are replaced by this.
It makes the game less easy to read.

For this reason, I would prefer colored cubes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistefire wrote:
I hope not all cubes are replaced by this.
It makes the game less easy to read.

For this reason, I would prefer colored cubes!
Or something a little more meepleish. They do look fragile and easy to upend when the board is full of these guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.