Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: A&A in space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few months back I asked the question in this esteemed forum "Runebound or Descent?". The replies were interesting and helpful - I settled on Runebound in the end and it quickly rose to a '10' in my collection.
Well, to the point, the next question is "Nexus Ops or Mission: Red Planet?" From the descriptions and comments it seems they have lots in common but what are the pros and cons from a practical perspective? Downtime, player interaction, 'real' playing time etc. - anything else anyone else cares to mention?
TIA,

Simon
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfonzo Smith
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
Vie by Victory Point Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played both Nexus Ops and Mission: Red Planet, I would say that they have little in common. NO is a combat game akin to Axis & Allies while M:RP is an abstract game similar to Rio Grande Games' El Grande.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Forhan
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Nexus Ops is very much Axis & Allies "in space" (well, on an alien rock filled with rubium and teeming with hostile life, to be more precise). It supports 2-4 players, has units with varied costs & stats, has a build phase, explore phase, and combat phase. Play time is max of 90 min for 4 players if you aren't consulting the rules constantly. Highly recommended for all A&A fans!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is a streamlined, sci-fi, A&A. MRP is more like a sci-fi El Grande with a role selection mechanic. Based upon what you own and rate highly, I'd say Nexus Ops is what you're looking for. Though, there's nothing wrong with MRP if you'd like a change of pace.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jim.brooks10 wrote:
Nexus Ops is a streamlined, sci-fi, A&A. MRP is more like a sci-fi El Grande with a role selection mechanic. Based upon what you own and rate highly, I'd say Nexus Ops is what you're looking for. Though, there's nothing wrong with MRP if you'd like a change of pace.


I will agree with that assessment except to say Nexus Ops is *much* lighter than Axis and Allies. Mission Red Planet isn't really a "combat" game at all except that you can push some units around the planet to obtain majorities.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Buck Rogers - Battle for the 25th Century...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/548

For whatever reason, I never did play A&A as a youth, but I managed to snag a copy of Buck Rogers when it came out and my friends and I played it to death.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Godeke wrote:
jim.brooks10 wrote:
Nexus Ops is a streamlined, sci-fi, A&A. MRP is more like a sci-fi El Grande with a role selection mechanic. Based upon what you own and rate highly, I'd say Nexus Ops is what you're looking for. Though, there's nothing wrong with MRP if you'd like a change of pace.


I will agree with that assessment except to say Nexus Ops is *much* lighter than Axis and Allies. Mission Red Planet isn't really a "combat" game at all except that you can push some units around the planet to obtain majorities.


Agreed. Much lighter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What trawlerman said. Buck Rodgers is A&A in space. I'd call Nexus Ops a faster, fixed version of Twilight Imperium 3. If you want a short play time, go Nexus Ops. If you want a more Axis & Allies playtime, go TI3, (with the new expansion, which seems to fix lots of things with TI3).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
trawlerman wrote:
How about Buck Rogers - Battle for the 25th Century...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/548

For whatever reason, I never did play A&A as a youth, but I managed to snag a copy of Buck Rogers when it came out and my friends and I played it to death.

Funnily enough, I was thinking today what to dig out for this weeks session and 'Buck Rogers' did spring to mind. From what everyone is saying, sounds like Nexus Ops is the way to go for our group. I like the idea of a slightly shorter playing time (i.e. 2hrs or less). The geek entry says 60 mins - how realistic is that in practice?

Simon
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
harris_family wrote:
The geek entry says 60 mins - how realistic is that in practice?

Simon


Very realistic with two players (we usually finish in 45 minutes). With four players it just exceeds an hour.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Godeke wrote:
harris_family wrote:
The geek entry says 60 mins - how realistic is that in practice?

Simon


Very realistic with two players (we usually finish in 45 minutes). With four players it just exceeds an hour.

Sounds excellent - just the job! Ironically, I saw the 'hot deals' entry for Nexus but it was only in the U.S. (as usual). Anyone know the next best (i.e. cheapest) place to get this in the UK?

Simon
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mackin
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gameslore.co.uk have Nexus Ops for £19.99. I got this and mission red planet for Xmas. I haven't played this game yet but would agree with other posters that it seems a lite, fast playing war game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium 2nd ed. plays like and feels like A&A in space. You might want to check it out. 3rd ed. goes a little beyond A&A with some new mechanics.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Twilight Imperium 2nd ed. plays like and feels like A&A in space. You might want to check it out. 3rd ed. goes a little beyond A&A with some new mechanics.


Very true, but it does run a bit longer than the games he was looking at. I like 2nd edition for empire building and 3rd edition for a game that can be finished in an evening.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Godeke wrote:
Aarontu wrote:
Twilight Imperium 2nd ed. plays like and feels like A&A in space. You might want to check it out. 3rd ed. goes a little beyond A&A with some new mechanics.


Very true, but it does run a bit longer than the games he was looking at. I like 2nd edition for empire building and 3rd edition for a game that can be finished in an evening.

John,
Spot on mate (!) TI3 does look like *just* the kind of game I'd love to play - it's just there aren't enough hours in an evening.

Simon
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.