Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillermo Cantu
United States
Edinburg
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I plan to buy a couple of games. I've been doing some research and I've decided that the ones I'm mostly interested in are: Downfall of Pompeii, Mexica, Euphrates & Tigris, Mykerinos and Samurai.

I'll probably be playing 2-player games most of the time, against my wife, so it's important that they play well with only 2, are not too long (less than 1 hour), are not too confrontational and are fun and attractive.

So, I'd like to hear your opinion about which 2 games I should buy.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Given your requirements, I'd say Samurai is your best bet. Then maybe Mykerinos....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Downfall of Pompeii I can't recommend enough, my wife is addicted to it. It is short and lots of fun. I would have to say Samauri for the second choice, my wife enjoyed that as well. E&T may be to heavy unless she is already a gamer. I haven't played the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Samurai and T&E out of your list. My wife and I really enjoy Samurai, I'd recommend it as a good 2p board game, which scales all right as well. It's confrontational but in a very fun way, more competitive than aggressive.

T&E is a bit too heavy for my wife, so we only played it once. Also I think that T&E is more fun with 3 or 4 players, plus it is definitely very confrontational, so maybe for you another game would be a better choice. (Although I love T&E multiplayer, so if you have friends that might want to play it, get it anyway!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll just have to be wishy-washy. I think Mexica and Samurai are the best of the bunch for two players. Both will challenge your grey matter, reward thinking ahead, and typically finish under an hour. (FWIW, I bought Mexica just to complete the 'mask' series on my shelf, but it turned out to be really pleasant surprise when it made it to the table. Quite under-rated IMHO.)

Pompeii is a great game, but much, much lighter than the other three. Which can either be a curse or a blessing depending on who you game with.

T&E is much longer, much heavier, and directly assaulting your opponent early and often is often the path to victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
samurai would be my recomendation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all good, but Samurai and T&E are IMO the most confrontational of the lot.

Either way, you are getting good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Owen
United States
Lisle
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
naugem wrote:
Hi.

I plan to buy a couple of games. I've been doing some research and I've decided that the ones I'm mostly interested in are: Downfall of Pompeii, Mexica, Euphrates & Tigris, Mykerinos and Samurai.

I've played all but Mykerinos and I'll guarantee that you can't go wrong with any of the four games you're thinking about. If I had to rank the games, my preferred order would be:

Pompeii (definitely lighter than the others, but also the most fun)
E&T (there's a reason this is rated so high)
Mexica (I haven't played Java so I'm not sure, but this may be the best 2-player game of the Mask trilogy)
Samurai (I've only played this once 3-player, but it seems like it would be good with 2)

All of these games can be very confrontational, though, so I hope that doesn't bother you too much.

Mykerinos looks good, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet, and I haven't bought it for home-play with my wife, precisely because the 2-player game doesn't seem quite as good. I'm not fond of any game in which a "dummy" third player is part of the 2-player game. Then again, I've read things here about Mykerinos 2-player that make me think I should try it anyhow. I think you'll be happy whatever you pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
If Downfall of Pompeii is anything like Survive, which it is supposed to be, it is light but pretty confrontational as a lot of the game is doing in your opponents pieces, in a fun way though.

I've really enjoyed Euphrat & Tigris as well as Samurai, but they are definitely on the abstract side. If you're wife doesn't like solving puzzles, these are probably not for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all of these but Mexica, but Samurai is the only one I've played two player. So not sure how much my opinion is worth, but from what it sounds like, I probably like similar games to your wife. I liked Samurai quite a bit, it was the sort of game that I wanted to play again right after the first play. Although I don't really care for pure abstracts, it had just enough trappings to remove it from that realm in my mind. I consider it more competitive than super confrontational, there's only a couple of times when you can directly interfere with your opponent's pieces and such.

I like Mykerinos. I don't consider it the best game ever or anything, but it's a solid game that I like. I've only played it with four or five. It doesn't feel to me like it would be as fun (or as interesting) with just two. I agree with other commenters that Downfall of Pompeii is a lighter game than the others you mentioned. As part of that lightness my guess is it would be a little more fun with more people, but again, I haven't tried it with two so can't comment from direct experience.

It embarasses me as a game geek to say this, but... I hate T&E. So do two of the other women in my game group. These are women who like Caylus and other serious gamer games and don't have a problem with confrontation, so that's not the problem for us. I do consider T&E very confrontational. It's on a somewhat abstracted level, but you are seriously and directly messing with the other player(s) if you're playing it well. I haven't played it with two, but I can't imagine that improving my opinion. The three of us who hate it all do so for pretty much the same reason - it makes us feel incredibly stupid. We just don't see the correct placements to get ahead the way the people we've played it with do. I'm sure there are women who love this game, but from what you've described of your wife's preferences, I'm not sure this sounds like one she'd like. There is a computer version, maybe you could ask her to play it and check if she likes it before you invest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillermo Cantu
United States
Edinburg
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses!
Based on them, I'm now down to 3 games: Pompeii, Samurai and Mexica.
Now I just need to eliminate one of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.