Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I’ve played each of these battles several times I thought it appropriate to provide some thoughts on strategy.

Arbela – One of history's greatest battles, pitting Alexander against Darius III, Arbela is fun and a real challenge for both the Persians and the Greeks.

Greece: Protect the flanks! Don’t be distracted by Persian attacks, concentrate on the center, while having another force work at either Persian flank (I suggest the Persian right).

Persia: You have obvious mobility, and it should be used to eat away at the Greek flanks. You also have overwhelming numbers, so sacrificing a few cavalry units in opportunistic charges is not a bad idea. Move quickly though, by turn 5 Alexander will be able to attack your weak infantry.

Cannae – Hannibal’s greatest victory is like Arbela, a true challenge.

Carthage: The key is a well timed attack in the Roman flanks because their cavalry is shoddy and out numbered, but their infantry are not. Wait until they are fully committed to your center but work fast though, because your center can’t hold for very long unless luck truly blesses you!

Rome: The game forces you to hit the center, and really that might be all you can do. Have a reserve ready to pin down the Carthaginian cavalry and don’t sacrifice your own meager cavalry units. By turn 10 you may have split Hannibal’s army in two.

Pharsalus – Weak effort on a battle that while important wasn’t very long.

Both sides follow the strategy of working on the same flank. Trust me, unless your foe is an utter fool, this one comes down to dice.

Teutoburger Wald – All I can say is “Varus, give me back my legions!” – Augustus

Germania: Pin down the Romans early on, keeping them in bad positions. The key here is to expose holes in the Roman lines and not to attack piecemeal.

Rome: Don’t be fooled into attempting a break out. Trust a flexible defense and the time honored use of opportunistic attacks. Start off by picking away at isolated Germans and then form hollow circles for defense. This battle is tough but not impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.