Popular Tags: [View All]
michael humphreys
United States
Carney’s Point
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure this has been brought up somewhere sometime, but are there folks out there that paint other peoples figures from this game? You know. For some kind of payment?

I don't have the time, patience, or even ability to do such things but I feel it would really add to the "feeling/mood" of the game to see these beautiful colored armies on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of professional miniatures painters out there. I'm sure if you do a search for them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to your local game store on a weekend. If they have tables for gaming, most likely you'll find some people playing minis. Ask among them. You might find someone close that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dworkin
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an old comment, which I am repeating here because it seems very relevant to your inquiry and I don't want yo to have to hunt through dozens of old files to find it:
(note though..the value here is for those thatlike bright colors and clear separation of each nation's units and (perhaps best of all) easy set up and take down...however, it won't satisfy ayearning for turly exquisite individual pieces)

===========================================
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
We found that a simple, single-colour-per-army, paint job reduced set-up time to under ten minutes, and elminates the need for any sorting when we take down the game.

The time invested was low (and fun):

1) a ten minute swing by the paint aisle in the hardware store to pick up seven spray-cans of Krylon Fusion paint for plastics, plus

2) 2+ hours to spray point seven of the eight armies. It went very quickly and smoothly with the pieces set on masking tape on a newspaper, and a cereal box behind them to make sure we didn't also paint the wall and floor. Just line up the pieces in two-or-three rows of twenty-or-so units and spray the right sides, then walk to other side of table, shift the cereal box and spray the left sides. A slight swing in angle covers most of the front and back of each unit from right side, and repeating it from left gives a complete look.

Two minutes while one person shook the paint-can with the next colour was plenty of time for the other of us to move the newspapers with drying units to the far end of our dining table so we could spray the next army with a new colour.

Everything dried to the point of being able to handle it during the time it took us to get sandwiches for lunch.

We are definately NOT painting experts -- more in the camp that admires, but would never emulate, the real detail-painters -- but this was very simple and the results have been pleasing on two counts:

1) the bright clash of colours when we play and
2) the ease of set-up and take-down (such an improvement that it has probably doubled our playing occasions).

I have to admit I owe my wife and daughter a HUGE thank-you for buying the paint cans and encouraging/helping me to do this.. it turned out to be a great low-effort/high-value idea.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael humphreys
United States
Carney’s Point
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rev. David Moore
United States
Avon
New York
flag msg tools
Yes!!! You've really GOT to get them painted. Even a 'basic' job enhances play and everything nicely.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anyone outside of Southeast Asian child-labor sweat-shops) that would even consider simple-painting a mini for less than a 'buck' - and there are 215 figures!?!

I realized immediately that I needed them painted - and I even color-stained the board regions to match the bases - which really 'multiplied' the playability factor. I wished that they would do a 'painted' deluxe/collectors version - but it would likely cost a couple hundred. The cheapes painted figs I know of are the HeroClix and like things, which retail for close to $2-a-figure - an they look a bit easier to paint than these.

I have an old associate who works a game store in Buffalo and custom-paints for people. I wonder if he'd consider it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave does some nice painting. You can find some of his work documented by my shoddy photography in the WoR images section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.