Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore.

A few days after Christmas, we played Scenario 1.

After the game, I asked if she wanted to try the next scenario for the next game we played, maybe a few days later.

"No," she said.

Arg.

"We have to play this one again," she says. "I'm sure I can win. I have to use the archers more to break the lines to break morale. It will weaken the cavalry."

Click. The rating goes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kinsey
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlelore.

A completely different scenario.

I shamelessly begged my wife (who enjoys many other games) to try this game with me. Begged.

'Think of all the time we could spend together if you tried it and found you liked it?' I said.

She looked at me with a glint in her eye. 'Think of all the time we could spend together if you tried making these little snowman earrings I designed as gifts for my friends?'

I withdrew my request. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Leventhal
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Sadly my wife seems to be having the opposite reaction to Battlelore. I have gotten her to play it a few times, but she seems less interested each time. On the other hand we discovered over new years, mainly due to my pestering, that despite the fact that she "hates all auction games" she thinks Ra is really good. Go figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have burned through all but the last three scenarios, and those are going down soon. My wife keeps asking "do you want to play BattleLore". It is kinda freaking me out, but she actually enjoys a war-themed game.

As an aside: archers aren't useless as long as you keep them out of Melee and put them in protected terrain once the enemy closes. Preserve them until you get Darken the Skies and a ranged combat Lore card that gives Lore as hits. Ah, the joy of 1:3 hit odds with 10 dice from one unit. With the option to switch targets after the first five just in case you plink a weakened unit to death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BDKWombat wrote:
Battlelore.

A completely different scenario.

I shamelessly begged my wife (who enjoys many other games) to try this game with me. Begged.

'Think of all the time we could spend together if you tried it and found you liked it?' I said.

She looked at me with a glint in her eye. 'Think of all the time we could spend together if you tried making these little snowman earrings I designed as gifts for my friends?'

I withdrew my request. cry

Something like that with me and cross-stitching, except my wife doesn't really enjoy many games at all. Oh, if only I'd known what questions to ask before marrying her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
Too bad she's wrong about the archers. Those things are useless.

I just played my first game of this last night (against my wife), and I'd have to disagree with you... at least, under certain conditions. She played the English in the Agincourt scenario and I played the French. Initially, I was worried about her since I'd read all of the posts about weak archers here on BGG, but it appears my worry was misplaced.

First turn out of the gates (since she went first), she played Darken the Skies and--BAM!--I'm down to a single unit in both of my forward-placed cavalry. On her next turn, she finished the job. Darken the Skies in the initial draw may be pretty lucky, but it generated respect for the archery units. Don't count them out entirely.

On the downside, I'd like to caution other husbands reading this thread against assuming this is the "game-to-please-all-women." It's not. My wife has never liked wargames or simple confrontation scenarios, and Battlelore doesn't change this. If your wife doesn't like games of "hey, here's my forces and there's yours... let's beat each other up," then she won't like this one either. soblue (The game is short enough, however, that my wife doesn't really balk at playing it to please me, though... so that might be a point in its favor).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toomas Haidak
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
I also dont want to get anybodys hopes too high about every wife liking the game but, man, was I surprised when my girlfriend asked after the first game "Let's play it again!" Say whaaa? I was too surprised to even be happy. And she as been asking to play several times since then. She defenitely, and I mean defenitely, does not like wargames, but there has got to be something in these miniatures or cards or dice that magically draws her into it. I'm still little weary about it, but OK, I'll play along

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Esarel wrote:
On the other hand we discovered over new years, mainly due to my pestering, that despite the fact that she "hates all auction games" she thinks Ra is really good. Go figure.
But that's because Ra is not an "auction game" for most folks. You get to value, and offer what you think it's worth, but you don't get to competitively bid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Santa Rosa
California
msg tools
I just got my copy in the mail yesterday. I wasn't sure if my significant other would like it or not since she isn't much of a fantasy fan and didn't seem interested in war games. Well it was a big hit! She really loved when we added pursuit and battle back into the first scenario. After playing three games she likes it as much as her favorite game, Settlers of Catan.

We've just crossed another milestone in gaming together! I'm still not sure she wants me to bring Tigris and Euphrates back to the table anytime soon though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.D.W
United States
San Angelo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must be something about the game! My wife initialy looked at the pictures and through the Primer and thought she wouldn't like it at all. I got it for Christmas and she has enjoyed every game we have played so far. Yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.