United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ2rK5AnXcw

(thanks to yourmonkey06 for the card text)

Diaspora 3-2-3-2 TWC 20SP Unique
During the Roll Attack Dice step, if there is a [BATTLE STATIONS] Token beside your ship, you may discard that Token to re-roll all of your attack dice.

Generic is 3-2-3-1 TW 18SP

Captain - Insectoid Commander Skill 6, 4SP 1 Talent slot Unique
When attacking, during the Roll Attack Dice step, you may remove 1 Token ([EVADE] or [BATTLE STATIONS]) from beside your ship to roll +1 attack die for that attack.

Neuro Toxin (Talent) 5SP Unique
If an Upgrade on your ship is affected by an opposing ship, you may discard this card to disable the Captain and every [CREW] Upgrade on the opposing ship.

Insectoid Rifleman (Crew) 5SP
ACTION: If your ship is not Cloaked, disabled all of your remaining Shields and target a ship at Range 1-2 that is not Cloaked and has no Active Shields. Discard this card to disable all [CREW] Upgrades on the target ship and then place an Auxiliary Power Token beside that ship.

Pulse-Firing Particle Cannon (Weapon) 4SP 3 Attack dice Range 1-3
ATTACK: Disable this card to perform this attack. You may only fire this weapon from your forward firing arc.
Once per round, if this attack hits, you may immediately make an additional attack with this weapon against the same target with half the attack dice rounded down.
This Upgrade costs +5 SP if purchased for a non-Xindi ship.

Phase Deflector Pulse (Tech) 5SP
If your ship executes a maneuver that would cause its base to overlap another ship's base, after moving your ship backward along the template until it no longer overlaps the other ship, you may discard this card to immediately perform an additional 2 [FORWARD] Maneuver. If you do so, you do not lose your "Perform Action" step.
This Upgrade may only be purchased for a Xindi ship and no ship may be equipped with more than 1 "Phase Deflector Pulse" Upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I won't spoil anything and let others watch the video.

Nonetheless, an interesting start. Not super impressive, but not dissapointing either. I will have to wait to see what the other prize ships and the sphere bring.

And at least now we know how the Xindi will be treated in terms of factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The proper pronunciation does actually matter a bit here since diaspora is a regular English word referring to a population or group of people who have left and/or live outside of their original homeland or place of origin often due to extreme circumstances that force them out- such as the Armenian Diaspora, Jewish Diaspora, African Diaspora, Greek Diaspora and so forth. Given that the Xindi lost their own homeworld to a cataclysm and subsequently live apart from it, the name of this ship makes perfect sense in this regard. It's clearly not an alien/fictional word like many other alien ship names are.

Here is a reference for the proper pronunciation of this word.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/diaspora?s=t

Regarding the ship itself, I rather like it and the stuff that comes with it, and it certainly looks great.

The only thing that is a little inexplicable to me is why the Xindi are placed in the middle of the pack in terms of Initiative. I wish the designers could give us a sense of their rationale regarding that decision.

I don't have a particular idea of where it should be specifically, other than that it was easier with the earlier introductions of the Vulcan and MU factions were placed at the bottom of the Initiative order which made it virtually painless to integrate them into the existing order players had been used to. The Xindi are a little more complex in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat prize ship, the model is pretty cool.

Pulse-Firing Particle Cannon: Well it looks like Wizkids really wants to crush fighter spam based on the last couple multi-hit cards you've shown David; which is probably a good thing.

I'm still really glad the Kumari is retail and not a prize as I would go broke getting it off eBay if that wasn't the case. arrrh

David, check this link out:

http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/6rtcOGmmu7DU

It will help you to get some better pictures for the ship models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if these are super-accurate, but I still wanted to have these available for the card designers of the world. These should be correct size for people who use 750 x 1050 (300 dpi) blanks.

For Ship card:

For Upgrade card:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty happy with this one. It's unique and looks like the faction is going to be a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bradley
msg tools
I dig it. I really like the idea of spending tokens to get extra effects. If we see some cards that put action tokens on friendly ships at a cost, we might see a really cool resource-management theme for Xindi.

The Vulcans had something similar with Aux power that never really came together- they have cards that gave them Aux tokens for small benefit and ways to throw off Aux, but they spent too much setting up the combos for not enough gain. Besides that one guy who liked being Aux'd, there was never a reason not to just cross-faction in a mechanic that worked properly. There isn't really any benefit to using the Vulcan stress gimmick.

The Xindi are already seeing ways to use their mechanic. Taking a stress to get a free dodge or scan looks a little better when your ship or captain can turn those into something you'll always want to see. Suffering a slightly more serious downside to take a more useful battlestation token and getting to spend *that* in new ways is something I'd even look at poaching for cross-faction. Imagine a Xindi captain who can spend scan tokens for real cash monies piloting the Excelsior.

Really interested to see where the Xindi go from here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amperglyph wrote:
Not sure if these are super-accurate, but I still wanted to have these available for the card designers of the world. These should be correct size for people who use 750 x 1050 (300 dpi) blanks.

For Ship card:

For Upgrade card:

How soon before the updated Initiative card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bowling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Diaspora, The ships named ability is amazing.
Insectoid Commander is amazing.
Neuro Toxin, is powerful but it's too risky to take at an op where you fight 3 different opponents.
Insectoid rifleman, is a solid boarding party.
Pulse-firing particle cannon, If you use the captain's ability on the first shot for 4 dice then you get 2 dice on the 2nd shot from the cannon making this a solid anti fighter weapon.
Phase deflector pulse, is pricey but really good for what it does.

That is one of the better resources we've had in a while and synergies so well with this ship.

Best build of the top of my head would be:

Diaspora (20)
Insectoid Commander (4)
Pulse-firing particle cannon (4)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its great to see the models/paint schemes improving in quality dramatically (would still want a totally new Excelsior sculpt, because, yuk!)...

It think it will struggle in "competitive" circles, as it looks like its going to be dying in one shot to - well, a lot of things... It does look like a fun ship for "era" match-ups... I guess we will have to see what the other Xindi have to offer - you've built it up well...

In terms of swarm, I can't help thinking generic B'Rels though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its a good place to start, and the ship itself looks great. Hopefully these will be available at retail sooner, rather than later (yes, we know they will be eventually either way, but sooner is better!). You also sufficiently talked up the aquatic ship that I am very interested in seeing what its bringing to the table.

Surprised no one commented on his line about the other 2 non-prize Xindi ships from early in the video. Can hear the glee in his voice as he says the last part:

"Hopefully we see the other two come out as retail ships down the road...or in other fashions. Stay tuned."

Maybe we're looking at a Xindi blind in this set after all...

Since I typed them up for Spacedock and they aren't here yet, here is the cards' text:

Diaspora 3-2-3-2 TWC 20SP Unique
During the Roll Attack Dice step, if there is a [BATTLE STATIONS] Token beside your ship, you may discard that Token to re-roll all of your attack dice.

Generic is 3-2-3-1 TW 18SP

Captain - Insectoid Commander Skill 6, 4SP 1 Talent slot Unique
When attacking, during the Roll Attack Dice step, you may remove 1 Token ([EVADE] or [BATTLE STATIONS]) from beside your ship to roll +1 attack die for that attack.

Neuro Toxin (Talent) 5SP Unique
If an Upgrade on your ship is affected by an opposing ship, you may discard this card to disable the Captain and every [CREW] Upgrade on the opposing ship.

Insectoid Rifleman (Crew) 5SP
ACTION: If your ship is not Cloaked, disabled all of your remaining Shields and target a ship at Range 1-2 that is not Cloaked and has no Active Shields. Discard this card to disable all [CREW] Upgrades on the target ship and then place an Auxiliary Power Token beside that ship.

Pulse-Firing Particle Cannon (Weapon) 4SP 3 Attack dice Range 1-3
ATTACK: Disable this card to perform this attack. You may only fire this weapon from your forward firing arc.
Once per round, if this attack hits, you may immediately make an additional attack with this weapon against the same target with half the attack dice rounded down.
This Upgrade costs +5 SP if purchased for a non-Xindi ship.

Phase Deflector Pulse (Tech) 5SP
If your ship executes a maneuver that would cause its base to overlap another ship's base, after moving your ship backward along the template until it no longer overlaps the other ship, you may discard this card to immediately perform an additional 2 [FORWARD] Maneuver. If you do so, you do not lose your "Perform Action" step.
This Upgrade may only be purchased for a Xindi ship and no ship may be equipped with more than 1 "Phase Deflector Pulse" Upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coma Toes
msg tools
I like eating tokens to get another effect. It's a nice mechanic that I hope spans the rest of the Xindi ships.

Because they are consuming tokens, the ship and captain abilities are only really worthwhile when you have multiple BS tokens (or a spare Evade). Otherwise, you are losing the BS quality, which (most of the time) isn't made up for by +1 die or a full re-roll. It's something you'd have to build around (e.g. Protocol/Janeway).

My guess for the faction synergy is that the Aquatic ship will give extra tokens to friendly ships. That way, the Aquatic can feed tokens to the Insectoid, which can then proceed to DESTROY ALL HUMANS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.