6 Posts

Terra Mystica» Forums » General

Subject: Snellman Etiquette rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zilch zilch
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have played AI games and I think I am ready to play some multiplayer games, but before I do, I have a question. I don't always have time to play out a game in one sitting and I know the game allows me to take up to two weeks to make a move, but is it considered rude if I stop playing late at night and make my move in the next night? What is the proper etiquette here? Or is there some other reason that this question is moot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zilch zilch
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just noticed there's a move timer option for the person who creates the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Most people expect 1 move minimum per day, just check for your turn when you have time. Games can last several weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
thezilch wrote:
I don't always have time to play out a game in one sitting and I know the game allows me to take up to two weeks to make a move, but is it considered rude if I stop playing late at night and make my move in the next night? What is the proper etiquette here? Or is there some other reason that this question is moot?
Very considerate of you to ask!thumbsup

There is no expectation for snellman games to end in one session unless the description explicitely mentions it. This is what I would call "real-time". A "fast" game sees each player do multiple turns per day (so the game is over within a week or so), in a "normal" game I'd expect more than one move per day on average from each player (so a game may take a month).

The site keeps track of each player's time (use the "Info" button) and the administrator (the person who created the game) can set an upper limit to the time the site waits for a player doing his/her next move - exceeding that limit means the player is dropped. Note that the limit is for a single move - there is no limit for the accumulated waiting time.

Games with a 12h/1d upper limit carry a significant risk of people dropping due to minor RL interruptions. A higher (e.g. 3d/5d) upper limit is usually meant for emergencies or rare/one-time interrupts (e.g. a weekend retreat without internet), but not to encourage players to play only every other day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thezilch wrote:
I don't always have time to play out a game in one sitting and I know the game allows me to take up to two weeks to make a move, but is it considered rude if I stop playing late at night and make my move in the next night? What is the proper etiquette here? Or is there some other reason that this question is moot?

No one can expect that you react within minutes (real time) unless it's clearly stated in the game description.
When I open my games I often ask for something like 'quick game, multiple turns per day during EU day time'. In this case I'm not happy when someone joins the game who only moves once a day when it's night in Europe. Lately I had a game which took almost two month because two guys from Taiwan apparently were not willing to read my game description.

For your start at snellman I'd say you're fine when you read the game descriptions and don't stress the time limits too much and generally do 1+ turn a day.
Or you can ofcourse just open you own games with your own 'rules'. If you write a description like 'slower game, about one turn a day' every body who's not fine with that is free to not join.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gurps Melendor
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thezilch wrote:
I have played AI games and I think I am ready to play some multiplayer games, but before I do, I have a question. I don't always have time to play out a game in one sitting and I know the game allows me to take up to two weeks to make a move, but is it considered rude if I stop playing late at night and make my move in the next night? What is the proper etiquette here? Or is there some other reason that this question is moot?

I think the most important thing is don’t drop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.