10 Posts

Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie» Forums » General

Subject: Kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Seurer

Minnesota
msg tools
How does HeroScape work out with kids 10-11yo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
YES

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very, very well. They are the target audience after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hurlburt
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 12 year-old enjoys it. I'm the addict, but she enjoys the game, and has started taking a much more involved hand in creating the armies she plays (instead of just relying on me to balance out her force with mine).

I'd recommend going right to the advanced rules - she was bored silly by the basic rules. It took some fast talking for her to give the game a second chance after the initial basic game. (In her words: "What's the point of having a dinosaur if I can't eat people?")

It was also neat to pull out the Romans and Greeks as she learned about them in class. Idealized versions, yes, but tying the figures into what she learned was a bonus. (If she starts studying robot warriors and alien hell hounds, I'm selling the game and switching school districts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
COLOSSUS
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definately go straight to the advanced rules. My 11 yr old daughter(10 the first time she played) takes the notion to play every once in a while but still relies on me to make her teams up though because she doesn't play enough to know all the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape an ten-year-olds go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I've had problems with the game and my 8-yr old is when he beats me - then I get pissed and yell at him or ground him or send him to his room w/o supper or something...

Otherwise, it's a great game for that age group. I agree that the basic rules may probably be too "Basic" for them. Even at age 7, my boy only wanted to play the advanced, because he wanted to use the cool special abilities and stuff. Granted, my 8-yr old isn't the best "tactician", but he understands the rules, the special powers, and he's getting better all the time.

Plus, getting your kids even slightly interested in the game gives one an excuse to go out and buy the cool expansions "for the kids..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a kids game at heart. It needs adults just to pay for all the items

I have four kids (11/10/8/2). I started the older three with the Basic Game just to give them a feel of the movement and combat. My 2 year-old took the "dinosaur" and didn't want to give it back, being content with making random growling noises and pretending to eat one of the characters when they were eliminated (but I digress...).

Am now working through the advanced rules with the kids. They are catching on quickly.

Bottom Line: THIS IS A KIDS GAME THAT EVEN BIG KIDS CAN PLAY. I find it a good chance to get the kids together. We even are talking about foregoing the usual Friday DVD night for a Heroscape Challenge instead!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Blood
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
i played two games with my 8 year old daughter this weekend, one with the basic and one with the advanced rules. definitely a lot of fun with the advanced, and she had fun creating a custom map and drafting her own army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Sorrell
United States
Texas City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes... turn them to the dark side.. make them play fantasy games that use their imaginations so we can have more D&D players in a few years *que evil music and menical laughter.*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.