Popular Tags: [View All]
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously, a single player will have to control 2 or more heroes, but how is the hidden action selection treated then?

Is the "hidden" aspect neutralized which means that a solo player will be able to coordinate his/her heroes perfectly? And wouldn't that made the combat scenario (which I assume would come with a predetermined desired difficulty level based on multiplayer) easier to beat?

I cannot see how solo would work because hidden selection plays such a big role in the game from what I gather. But then again there is not that much info regarding solo play, so what am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
GLOOOOOOOOOOOOOMHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
If a player plays solo or a group decides they want to go full-coop, the rulebook contains some suggestions how to adjust the difficulty to mitigate this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neva Kee wrote:
If a player plays solo or a group decides they want to go full-coop, the rulebook contains some suggestions how to adjust the difficulty to mitigate this.

can these suggestions be found in the draft rules (available in the ks web)? i didn't see anything about this matter.

edited: ah... wait. do you allude to the "scenario level" in pag 9?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its not in the Rules you can see right now but will be in the Final Rulebook.. At least Isaac wrote somewhere that there will be Rules for Full-Coop/Solo in the Final Rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Søndergaard
Denmark
Kgs. Lyngby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:

can these suggestions be found in the draft rules (available in the ks web)? i didn't see anything about this matter.

edited: ah... wait. do you allude to the "scenario level" in pag 9?

It is my understanding that this is all the information that is available on this subject at present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG... that means the difficulty level will arise for solo play... and in all my solo plays, the victory was barely achieved.

by the way, if you would fail in a scenario, you can replay it? or it counts as a defeat and the game send your party to another location/scenario/gloomhaven?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Søndergaard
Denmark
Kgs. Lyngby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
OMG... that means the difficulty level will arise for solo play... and in all my solo plays, the victory was barely achieved.

by the way, if you would fail in a scenario, you can replay it? or it counts as a defeat and the game send your party to another location/scenario/gloomhaven?

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think you can replay it. It is my understanding that changes in the world are not based upon whether or not you fail a scenario, but rather whether you choose option A over option B. Again, not sure though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you could just draw random action cards from the other hero's decks and be surprised what they are going to do. Could be like playing with your group and again you're thinking what the hell this guy is doing, we'll never win this scenario if he doesn't start to take actions which make sense at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And for each Scenario you always have a difficulty choise like "easy, normal, Hard"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:

It very much looks like that you can just replay it. If you fail, you also keep all collected loot and XP up to that point. I think we don't need to worry. Isaac wants the game to be accessible for all players and not punishing or frustrating as far as I can see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisback79 wrote:
Perhaps you could just draw random action cards from the other hero's decks and be surprised what they are going to do. Could be like playing with your group and again you're thinking what the hell this guy is doing, we'll never win this scenario if he doesn't start to take actions which make sense at all.
i was thinking along those lines. Perhaps choose only one of the other ally's cards, and draw the other randomly from the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't think it works. (but hey, i only had played the first mission, 3 times)

when you play, you really need to choose two cards that combine to get a good move/attack. with one random card, a lot of times your attack will not reach the enemy, or you could move, but don't attack, or if you want get something, you will lose one of your valuable cards.

and the poor spellweaver, she will not use the element token at the right moment...

maybe drawing 3 or 4 cards, and choose two later... but anyway, i see it as a very hard penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:

You can replay a scenario as often as you want to gain additional gold and XP. However the rewards for successfully completing the scenario will only be granted the first time you successfully complete a scenario. Also, any chests you open and loot in the scenario remain opened and looted, you can only loot each chest once.

/A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guidry
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm planning on playing this solo, so I hope it plays well that way. From what I've seen, I don't think the blind element will make a huge difference. Sure you'll pull off some sweet combos but most of the time it looks to me that you will be trying to play your hand smart. But I've haven't played the game yet so what do I know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry this has remained unclear. You are correct that it is not in the current version of the rules, but playing solo or fully co-op is very simple.

Because you have the advantage of perfect information of everyone's cards, you simply increase the difficulty of the scenario by 1 level without increasing the rewards (so monster level and trap damage increase, but gold and experience gained don't).

Keep in mind that the difficulty level is just a suggestion, so if you find this too difficult, you can always decrease the difficulty level of the scenario (this would bring the trap damage and monster levels back down to normal, but would lower your experience and money gain).

And to answer the other question, nothing is lost when a scenario is failed. You get the money and experience you collected up to that point and are free to try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you all for the replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
Sorry this has remained unclear. You are correct that it is not in the current version of the rules, but playing solo or fully co-op is very simple.

Because you have the advantage of perfect information of everyone's cards, you simply increase the difficulty of the scenario by 1 level without increasing the rewards (so monster level and trap damage increase, but gold and experience gained don't).

Keep in mind that the difficulty level is just a suggestion, so if you find this too difficult, you can always decrease the difficulty level of the scenario (this would bring the trap damage and monster levels back down to normal, but would lower your experience and money gain).

And to answer the other question, nothing is lost when a scenario is failed. You get the money and experience you collected up to that point and are free to try again.

Will this suggestion and explanation make it into the final rules? I'll be playing 2 characters solo and there's no way I remember this next year when it ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Bayu
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So can the battle goal cards be left out when playing solo or do you still need them for advancing the scenario? what are the check marks for anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rbayu2 wrote:
So can the battle goal cards be left out when playing solo or do you still need them for advancing the scenario? what are the check marks for anyway?

Checkmarks are for improving your battle deck, or whatever the +1,-1 etc deck is called. Get 3 checkmarks, and you can take one of the upgrade choices on your paper character sheet.

If I'm remembering right at least.

Edit: You can see it in Rahdo's video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondering about playing with just one hero. True solo, not solo co-op. Too difficult in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think he said the game is kinda meant for comboing off each other a bit, and it's hard to combo solo.

Also, all the scenarios have monster spawning setups for 2/3/4 players. You'd have to make it up yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a newbie-but I suspect this is largely the case.

1P playing as 2P knows everything.

2P playing by the rules as 2P can still say stuff like "I am going to go real big and probably very early on the Living Bones, so..."

So it's probably a matter of degrees more than anything else....except that it is not really 1P.

MichaelGuidry wrote:
I'm planning on playing this solo, so I hope it plays well that way. From what I've seen, I don't think the blind element will make a huge difference. Sure you'll pull off some sweet combos but most of the time it looks to me that you will be trying to play your hand smart. But I've haven't played the game yet so what do I know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True solo is a no-go.

The game has set-ups for each scenario for 2P, 3P, & 4P. Which populate the rooms with monsters and rewards. There is no 1P setup and the 2P setup simply has too many monsters for a single character to handle (because you keep losing a card when you 'rest') so you can't fart around trying to hit the monster, then steer clear long enough to get your cards back or heal yourself or some similar.

DSpangler wrote:
I wondering about playing with just one hero. True solo, not solo co-op. Too difficult in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Von G
Italy
BOLOGNA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One character, on easy, and with a cloak of invisibility allows you to do that. I've done a few (5 or 6 I think) scenarios in this way and it works. It's not easy at all, but doable (and surprisingly fun)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the heck-I'll try that on Scenario #1 and see...what character did you use?

FYI-that cloak of invisibility is not 100%. Certain effects happen to you even if you are wearing it. Also the Invisibility cloak lasts for only 1 turn and most important of all-it is a consumed item. You use it once? Poof! Gone til end of scenario.

FranzVonG wrote:
One character, on easy, and with a cloak of invisibility allows you to do that. I've done a few (5 or 6 I think) scenarios in this way and it works. It's not easy at all, but doable (and surprisingly fun)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.