Subject: Second meeting against my favourite opponent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I met my favorite opponent once again for another session of Axis & Allies: Battle of the Bulge today.

Since my friend was looking for a revenge since last time (when I, as the Axis, pretty easily won with 24 points after a large city withdrawal by the Allies), he once again choose the Allied side.

The start went pretty well for the Axis, as it should. Despite a small allied pocket east of Stadtkyll (before it could be cleared) the Axis advanced some hexes along the whole border, mostly in the south though.

Half way through the game, the Allied had concentrated it's forces to Bastogne, west of Vielsalm and Eupen. Now the luck had turned for the Axis.

The Axis tried to go around Bastogne and Eupen with the 5th, 6th and 7th army respectively, but was held up by the hard resistance from the Allies. The planned break through failed and the battle front went to a stand still going from Eupen diagonally down to Bastogne and west of Martelange.

The continuous and increasing supply for the Allies started to tear down the Axis once great hammer blow to a thin line with only a few units in each hex. The Allies heavy air support also did a good job of breaking the Axis support lines, causing the Axis to have a very limited number of actions.

One final big attack from the Axis in turn six didn't make any difference since the luck had run out completely. It seemed that the god of fortune was on the Allies side today.

It was still a fun session. Interesting to see what happens when doing this or that, and in some cases it gave some good points in how not do it in the future. We discussed the outcome and both agreed that I should probably have left Bastogne to it self and instead try and advance deeper into the west (as was done in reality).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
jonjac wrote:
It was still a fun session. Interesting to see what happens when doing this or that, and in some cases it gave some good points in how not do it in the future. We discussed the outcome and both agreed that I should probably have left Bastogne to it self and instead try and advance deeper into the west (as was done in reality).

Yes, it was great fun!!

I agree, I think it might have been better to try to get ZOC around Bastogne, and THEN attack the city. If so, the retreating Allied units would have been destroyed, now the retreating units could move into Bastogne again, during movement phase. It may have taken you (Axis) some extra round to establish ZOC (perhaps by using blitz-kreig), but in the end, one third of my allied units would have been stuck behind your lines. No airforce in the world could then have saved the Allies...

Waiting for next game!!

Regards,
Håkan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Jacobsson
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hakanlarsson wrote:
I agree, I think it might have been better to try to get ZOC around Bastogne, and THEN attack the city. If so, the retreating Allied units would have been destroyed, now the retreating units could move into Bastogne again, during movement phase. It may have taken you (Axis) some extra round to establish ZOC (perhaps by using blitz-kreig), but in the end, one third of my allied units would have been stuck behind your lines. No airforce in the world could then have saved the Allies...

Yes. It crossed my mind, but I was a little scared to thin out the line in the south if you would do a counter attack and break through and get behind me. But I guess that is something you have to take your chances on sometimes. Well, every session adds a little more to the experience bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.