Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The glories of the classic filch card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I ended up with the classic filch card in a round, and I could not have had more fun.

Races were: Trader (me), Sorceror, Vulch, and Filch

I ended up, in my opening hand, with the filch flare, steal cards from discard or deck just don't get caught or you lose a ship.

An encounter between my wife (Vulch) and Sorceror was going on, a 30 attack comes out and my eyes light up. This group is a bit bad for clearing discards so I often get up to do so.. Yoink.

My encounter turn comes around, guess who plays a 30 attack. I am trying to make it obvious something is up. Nothing happens. Next attack I throw out something lesser, like a 12 or 15.

The Filch decides to plague the sorceror, I like plague cards, again, yoink. On my next turn I also encounter the sorceror, who I plague. I go on to play another plague an encounter later... Every accepts this as ok, odd. A also throw down another 30... Still no eyebrows.

I threw my next assault with an N, to let the table go around ,and acquire fresh cards. Mmmm cards.

I'm sitting here, laughing to myself hysterically. I then use the sorceror flare to swap aliens with the vulch, and eke through an encounter thanks to the ability to play reinforcements up to 6.

I steamroll my final encounter, with the 30. A quick game, but to me one of the most amusing as I don't feel my sleight of hand is anything to write home about. Maybe next time they will be more wise (I told them what was happening and such after the session).

I can't say I understand why someone would not want the classic filch card in the deck, more controversial? Maybe, more fun? Definitely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
I can't say I understand why someone would not want the classic filch card in the deck, more controversial? Maybe, more fun? Definitely.

In my book, few things are more quintessentially Cosmic than the classic Wild Filch flare. It's a perfect example of how this brilliant game is the king of making the impossibly ridiculous somehow still possible and maybe even semi-balanced. One of the decisions I am most thankful that Kevin/FFG made was to give us the option to use those classic flares in this slightly kinder, slightly gentler, slightly more cleaner edition of Cosmic Encounter.

It is a definite Must Have at my table. There is just something hilarious about catching someone (or getting caught) with half the cosmic deck in hand — and then still having to play out the game like that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too know the glories of the classic Filch flare, but its awesomeness depends on who's at the table. Some players are very sharp about intercepting this sort of thing, and if the flare never gets a chance to work at all, that's not very fun.

In the game I remember this flare for best, I passed the flare to someone else voluntarily during negotiation, then did everything I could to try and help them steal cards. It was that player's birthday, actually, so I decided I'd either win a joint victory with them, or let them walk away with the game. Sort of like you (the OP) did, I "straightened out" the cards a few times, always pushing them closer to the aspiring thief afterward. When I could think of an excuse, I'd convince one of the other players to go get something from another room, leaving fewer players around to watch the table. I'd ask confusing questions and get mixed up about rules for the game when I knew perfectly well what the answer was. So my BFF-for-the-day was pretty timid for a while, probably afraid I was trying to snare them, but after a few turns started looting the Cosmic Deck hand over fist once they figured out what was really going on. Eventually my facade broke. The stealing had to stop when I burst out laughing, and the other players figured out what had happened. I did not get my joint victory that game - the thief made it to 5 colonies before anyone else got past 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando
Germany
Weimar
Thuringia
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with Shredding Day, it depends on who is on the table...

I once had an encounter with another player who got this classic flare. We were playing CE on TableTopSimulator and at the second encounter of the game, we noticed that one player, who haven't even participated on any encounter so far, had around 20 cards on his hand... The other two players did not like what was going on at all because they didn't know such a card existed, I told them that there was the possibility of he having the card but nobody caught him while he was doing it! He also refused to show them the card because that goes against the rule of the game (show no cards from your hand).

I was laughing hysterically as that player started moving his cursor around the table super fast, making everyone super edgy. Once I caught him stealing something and the card was revealed, his downfall began... he tried dragging the cards away from the table and circling back to his own hand. He tried other approaches but by then everyone was so paranoid, that he lost most of his ships while trying to steal stuff. The fact that he could just quickly pass over the deck while pressing the 9 key really gave him an edge xD (9 cards would be dealt to his hand automatically)

I personally believe the card can be fun if you are with the right kind of people, the fact that the other two players kept insisting he was cheating or that the card was OP didn't ruin my game but it did spoil it a little bit. I would use it again with people I know, as long as everyone agrees to have it in the flare deck, otherwise I always take it out of the deck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Filch flare.

My most memorable filch moment was when one of the players had the filch flare and masochist as his alien. Every time we caught him, another ship in the warp. He was holding almost the entire deck in his hand. So funny and the only time I had to institute a time limit on turns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Filch classic flare, although I've only encountered it once or twice (darn the FFG edition with its 600 billion aliens)

Anyway, it was a game-winning play when I palmed a 20 off the top of the discard pile which I then proceeded to play for my final colony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Troyer
msg tools
I may be mistaken, but I believe the Plague card has to be played during regroup. You can't draw a destiny card and then plague the person you drew, so that may have something to do with the win...

I can't stand the classic Filch flare because when it is in play, the entire game becomes, "make sure so-and-so doesn't cheat or he'll crush us all." That one card holds so much influence that it entirely alters the game. The one time that I got it during a game before we banned it, it didn't even feel good to win with it (I won too) because it's just so overpowered. Playing with it is unsatisfying, playing against it is a huge pain, lose-lose situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Boomas wrote:
I believe the Plague card has to be played during regroup. You can't draw a destiny card and then plague the person you drew

Correct.

(Unless the Plaguing player is the Greenhorn.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapperghast Meowregard
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh man, I remember the one game I got it, we were playing double powers and I happened to get Ghoul and Ethic, so I was already drawing like two or three cards per encounter anyway. At the end of the game I reveal it and the other two players burst into laughter, apparently they had saw me a few times, but never said anything because they just assumed that I could do that, including the person who saw the Filch flare at the beginning of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Slavich
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirty-some years ago, I was playing the Eon version, with just two of us playing. Right after I dealt the opening hands, I left the room to let our dog in. When I came back and we started playing, I could tell that my friend was trying to keep from laughing, but I had no idea why.

I thought that he started out with a really good hand, but I did not notice that he took the whole deck until it was time for me to draw a new hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Porter
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember well the first time I encountered (ahem) the filch wild. It was in the late 80's and a bunch us were playing the Eon version at my house.

My friend John said, "Why does Jack have the entire deck in his hand?"

Yes, The warp was always that kind of player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.