Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Map and stickers alternative? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: oh_this_thread_again [+] [View All]
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been some talk about content vs. upgraded components as well as discussions about the pros and cons of the current legacy mechanic. And one idea I came up with is the following.

One component upgrade I would like to see is a better solution to the map and legacy mechanic. Stickers just feels.. meh. I would prefer something where you could make changes to the map that were less permanent but still marked on the map where you have been and what scenarios are available.

If the day ever comes that I have played my last game of Gloomhaven and I want to pass the game along to my grandchildren like a valued heirloom, I would want them to be able to play the game like it was new and discover the world in their own way from the same starting point I had.

Perhaps some sort of plastic studs could be used to mark locations, they could even be studs of different colors to show which gaming group completed which scenario and which ones are still open and uncompleted etc?

We would still need a way to track various global achievements and other information that is meant to be stickered onto the map itself, but I would be fine using a separate sheet for that if need be. Perhaps there is a better solution to that issue as well?

Isaac is a smart man, and he has surrounded himself with some talented people as well, I am sure they could make it work.

what do you think?
/Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a second map, so your grandchildren can see your adventures, and then create their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Z
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy 2 games !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get clear plastic sheets used for book jacket protectors. (Click here for Amazon search of what I'm talking about.) Wrap the board in plastic and then use a permanent marker to track information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Vex85 wrote:
Buy 2 games !

As an heirloom, buying a second game is not expensive at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i hope will be a downloadable map and stickers... in fact, stickers will not be needed if i can write on map, directly.

and i could write in gothic fonts that saying "here were dragons, but now only bones!", and show to the neighbour's grandchindrens.

you know, this kind of stuff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Isaac has already said he'll be making "character sheets" for the world available so you don't have to use the stickers and map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

bird94us wrote:
Get a second map, so your grandchildren can see your adventures, and then create their own.

Vex85 wrote:
Buy 2 games !

While those two alternatives are certainly an option they both seem inelegant. Both options kind of miss the upgraded component issue which I was referring to. And neither option actually solves the "problem" it just delays it. =)

/Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Isaac has already said he'll be making "character sheets" for the world available so you don't have to use the stickers and map

Yes, that would also be an option. But I do like the idea of making changes to the map itself as you progress, I would just prefer a way to be able to restore it to it's start point if I ever decide I've played my last game of Gloomhaven.

/Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
You can get clear plastic sheets used for book jacket protectors. (Click here for Amazon search of what I'm talking about.) Wrap the board in plastic and then use a permanent marker to track information.

Something like that might work as well as a homemade solution and it's certainly more practical than buying multiple copies of the game.

But if we are talking about upgraded components I am slightly less enthusiastic. Don't get me wrong, I think the game will be absolutely awesome whatever happens, just trying to come up with ways to make it even better out of the box.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Was thinking something along those lines, but more custom for this game.

/Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guidry
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I am not a fan of this new "Legacy" trend. I have games from when I was a child and if they were legacy games they would've been thrown away. But since they weren't I can play them with my son, which in my mind is a true legacy game. If I were to play one of these new legacy games (as intended) I'd want it to be $20 or less and have the intent of throwing it away after completing it. I think all components should be cheap in this style of game because it becomes worthless after playing it and I don't want to feel bad for throwing it away. I think a better name for them is "disposable" because that's what they are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
i hope will be a downloadable map

Since the world map isn't really used during game play except to track information, a large-scale PDF of the map board would probably be the best solution. Then you can print as many copies as you want, in whatever size you want (a larger "board" from your local print and copy shop, or just on a single sheet of paper from your home printer). You could even get it screen-printed on fabric if you wanted to spend the money to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guidry
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Adamacer wrote:

/Adam

This is an interesting idea. I don't think I've ever seen snaps built into a game board, sounds expensive though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adamacer wrote:
martidem wrote:

Something like that might work as well as a homemade solution and it's certainly more practical than buying multiple copies of the game.

But if we are talking about upgraded components I am slightly less enthusiastic. Don't get me wrong, I think the game will be absolutely awesome whatever happens, just trying to come up with ways to make it even better out of the box.

/Adam

This topic has come up a number of times here and in the Kickstarter comments. Some love the idea of Gloomhaven being a "legacy" game, and some hate it. But Isaac seems pretty adamant that his intention is for the game to be permanently modified as you play. He's offered the PDF for world/map tracking, but I think that's about as far as he's willing to take it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am aware the topic has been raised several times, which indicates that there are quite a few people who would prefer a less permanent solution.

My option does not necessarily exclude those who prefer stickers and markers on the map itself. But Like I said, I do like the idea of manipulating the map itself to track information. Might be just me, but I would prefer a different way to that than the currently outlined option.

It's by no means a deal breaker and I will get the game either way and make my own homemade solution if need be. But if we are talking about possible SG's and component upgrades this is one I personally would like to see.

/adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, as Marty and others have said, a PDF of the map will be provided. The PDF will also include detailed instructions on how to reset your envelopes and everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
Yes, as Marty and others have said, a PDF of the map will be provided. The PDF will also include detailed instructions on how to reset your envelopes and everything else.

So no chance for an "upgraded map" as a stretch goal at some point then? Ok no worries, I'll make my own homemade solution for it then. Keep up the great work. While you're here what are your thoughts about adding some sort of calendar to track time and seasons in the game?

/Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Topic 4675 with the same proposition/question.

Just give up please, this is not going to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem is that I'm conflicted. I love the idea of a legacy game and your decisions having real consequences, but the part of me that spends the money on the game and hopes that my kids will love it cringes at the idea of permanently altering it. I'm planning on doing something to simulate permanent changes but that can be undone once the game is complete. I even thought about trying to do a magnetized dry erasable version of the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkartzinel wrote:
...the part of me that spends the money on the game and hopes that my kids will love it cringes at the idea of permanently altering it.

This occurred to me too, but then I thought that there are so many games coming out every year, that by the time my kids are ready to play a game like this, there will be many, many other options that are just as good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I plan on doing with the map is sticking or perhaps even screen printing a copy of it onto a sheet of wood, drilling a peg hole for each mission, and cutting some short dowel pegs to paint red, blue or black to fit. That way as long as I get the fit right nothing should come out between plays but I can reset when I wish.

I'm tempted to sink some tiny rare earth magnets into the holes and work something out with the pegs for a more secure fit too. Not sure yet.

I originally wanted a magnetic backing on the map but the other elements would simply slide around in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happyshopper wrote:
One thing I plan on doing with the map is sticking or perhaps even screen printing a copy of it onto a sheet of wood, drilling a peg hole for each mission, and cutting some short dowel pegs to paint red, blue or black to fit. That way as long as I get the fit right nothing should come out between plays but I can reset when I wish.

I'm tempted to sink some tiny rare earth magnets into the holes and work something out with the pegs for a more secure fit too. Not sure yet.

I originally wanted a magnetic backing on the map but the other elements would simply slide around in the box.
Please tell me you're kidding here. With this amount of time/effort/$$, you could easily pledge for a second copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guidry
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
juanma99 wrote:
Happyshopper wrote:

Please tell me you're kidding here. We this amount of time/effort/$$, you could easily pledge for a second copy!

I agree this is a lot of effort, but what good would a second copy do? You can play each of them once... People who don't want to permanently change their game have more of a collector mentality and want to be able to have unlimited plays of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Adamacer wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:

So no chance for an "upgraded map" as a stretch goal at some point then? Ok no worries, I'll make my own homemade solution for it then. Keep up the great work. While you're here what are your thoughts about adding some sort of calendar to track time and seasons in the game?

/Adam

I have certainly read that calendar thread and it is something I am thinking about. It would be a lot more complicated than some people think, though, and would add to the development time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac if you really want to go that way, a promise from you that a mini expansion like that would be available somewhere after retail would do the trick aswell, and that without a delay time for thecrest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.