Popular Tags: [View All]
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If HH works by culling the deck to a certain size, then wouldn't the cleanest and simplest solution be to implement a minimum deck size just above the point where HH becomes effective?

So how many cards is that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
The convention is to not be allowed to Govern your starting cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Define decksize.

Because one trick is to dump military cards into a battle, then cycle through your now small deck and gain tons of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Define decksize.

Because one trick is to dump military cards into a battle, then cycle through your now small deck and gain tons of money.

Decksize would include starting cards and cards that you have added minus the cards that have been culled/removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

So you play by the rule that you cannot cull/remove starting cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
Define decksize.

Decksize would include starting cards and cards that you have added minus the cards that have been culled/removed.
So adding mil into a battle isn't culling..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

So you play by the rule that you cannot cull/remove starting cards...
It doesn't fix the issue, as the deck can be thinned by starting sieges.

Keep in mind that the balance is very frail, if you disallow the HH in an intrusive manner, then the game is won by the French. My experience suggests that as the British, if you cannot HH, you'd need to do both of: buy 2 neutral settlers the first time you have 2 actions to have a balanced settling / developing race, or improve your starting situation to avoid a French win by conquest. The issue is that you cannot do both as you don't have enough time.

If you want a more balanced experience, try this: remove 1 neutral settlers card and disallow sea sieges.

We tried a few settle / develop races with Tom (solkan1) and they seemed quite tense and balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
If HH works by culling the deck to a certain size, then wouldn't the cleanest and simplest solution be to implement a minimum deck size just above the point where HH becomes effective?

I believe this would absolutely fix the issue. My theory is disallowing removal of cards below 13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:

I believe this would absolutely fix the issue. My theory is disallowing removal of cards below 13.
Fix the issue but at what cost?

If it absolutely would fix the issue, why didn't Martin Wallace fix the game in this manner?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
RoosterJuice wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:

If it absolutely would fix the issue, why didn't Martin Wallace fix the game in this manner?

Mythotopia has a rule about minimum deck size. So, while Martin Wallace did not try to fix AFAoS via a minimum deck size rule, he did implement such a rule in Mythotopia which is based off of AFAoS.

A link that discusses the rule:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1435492/minimal-deck-si...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

More specifically, you can't Govern starting locations, unless they have been lost in a siege or raid. When Brits are stuck with Pemaquid and St. Mary in their deck, the HH strategy becomes a whole lot less attractive. I can only speak to my own experience, but this fix works well for me and it's become my preferred way to play. For what it's worth, I did manage to beat out4blood once under these rules.

Some kind of minimum deck size rule would work fine too, I expect, but the sticking point has always been deciding exactly what that minimum should be, how to keep track of it, etc. The No Governing Starting Location rule essentially does this by limiting your deck size to your starting deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Espada
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
And what about suffling being an action? So if deck is thin you lose more actions suffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
RoosterJuice wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:

Mythotopia has a rule about minimum deck size. So, while Martin Wallace did not try to fix AFAoS via a minimum deck size rule, he did implement such a rule in Mythotopia which is based off of AFAoS.

A link that discusses the rule:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1435492/minimal-deck-si...
4p games don't need as much balancing work, since if one player pulls ahead, the other three players can bash them. If one player pulls ahead here, there isn't another player you can team up with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
davinci wrote:
And what about suffling being an action? So if deck is thin you lose more actions suffling.
Again, it's possible this could help the French, but it's possible this change makes the French win every time then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Kemppainen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
badge
The state flag of Finland from January to May 1918
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

More specifically, you can't Govern starting locations, unless they have been lost in a siege or raid. When Brits are stuck with Pemaquid and St. Mary in their deck, the HH strategy becomes a whole lot less attractive. I can only speak to my own experience, but this fix works well for me and it's become my preferred way to play. For what it's worth, I did manage to beat out4blood once under these rules.

Some kind of minimum deck size rule would work fine too, I expect, but the sticking point has always been deciding exactly what that minimum should be, how to keep track of it, etc. The No Governing Starting Location rule essentially does this by limiting your deck size to your starting deck.

What is the real meaning of this "not to govern your starting cards/locations"? In what way it affects the game play?
I don't quite understand it, maybe some language barrier here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
It is part of the deck thinning strategy that allows England to never lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Marx
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
It is part of the deck thinning strategy that allows England to never lose.
Put more explicitly, you can't use the Governor card to remove starting location cards from your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jari58 wrote:
Noahboa wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

What is the real meaning of this "not to govern your starting cards/locations"? In what way it affects the game play?
I don't quite understand it, maybe some language barrier here.
I don't think it's a language barrier thing. I'm sure your English is excellent. But this whole conversation assumes a level of familiarity with the rules of the game and with the dominant British strategy that everyone wants to fix. Without knowing your level of understanding of these, it's difficult to know where to begin explaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Kemppainen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
badge
The state flag of Finland from January to May 1918
mbmbmbmbmb
Noahboa wrote:
I don't think it's a language barrier thing. I'm sure your English is excellent. But this whole conversation assumes a level of familiarity with the rules of the game and with the dominant British strategy that everyone wants to fix. Without knowing your level of understanding of these, it's difficult to know where to begin explaining.

It was a barrier of something after all! I didn't understand that a word "govern" means here the use of a governor card. Thank you for answers, I got it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My long-standing tweak which I still use:
Only shuffle your discards at the very end of your turn, not when your draw runs out. So you can't pick up any cards that were not in your draw at the start of the turn.

So, if your deck is super thin, either because you have thinned it, or because you have a load of cards in a siege, then you will frequently go into the next turn with fewer than 5 cards. The thinner your deck the more often you get struck by this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Macza
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought that having a cost associated with the governor card might work as well. The British have a significant income but it would not be so easy to thin that deck if you've got to pay for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls