Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I totally love this game, and it works great by itself for two players. In fact, I had ONLY played two-player games until last night.

Last night I played a four-player game, and it blew my mind. Pretty much every technology hit the board. We achieved spaceflight, the internet, genetics--all by the third round.

Normally, in a two-player game, I don't see the those cards hit the table. There's simply too much to maintain with only 24 actions per round between the players.

So after last night, I was wondering if there was any way to... make stuff stick around longer.

I had to thoughts:

Make Stuff Stick Around Longer 1: The Neutral Cube

In a two-player game, whenever you play a technology, place a "neutral" cube on it. This cube is not considered when scoring. When removing a cubes, always remove active players' cubes first (only remove the neutral cube if it is the only cube left on the card).

Example: The technology card "Basic Sciences" was played by the blue player this round, so it has two blue cubes on it, and one grey (neutral) cube. Blue scores for Fire this round. At the end of the round, one blue cube is removed as influence.

Next round, during scoring, there is one blue cube and one grey cube on Fire. Blue gets full scoring points for Fire (the grey cube is treated as if it doesn't exist). When removing cubes, one blue cube is removed, and the grey cube is ignored.

Next round, during scoring, there is one grey cube on Fire. No player scores for Fire. When removing cubes, return the grey cube to the supply.

Make Stuff Stick Around Longer 2: More Cubes, plz

In this two-player variant, when you invent a technology, add one more cube to the card than you normally would.

Example: The blue player invents fire (one-cost tech). She discards one card, and then places TWO cubes on the Fire card.

(This seems simpler than solution 1, but more problematic in terms of balance.)

What do you smarter people think? I don't want to break this great game, but I would like to see the cool tech pop more frequently when it's just my spouse and me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shush Ruth
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the first variant. Will try it the next time we play. Like you point out, there might be balance issues with the second variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branam
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shruthless wrote:
Love the first variant. Will try it the next time we play. Like you point out, there might be balance issues with the second variant.

Agreed, the first idea sounds like the best solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harkins
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Play games and be awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas! I may have to try these out some time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Floodgate wrote:
Great ideas! I may have to try these out some time

What's funny is that we only played with "The Neutral Cube" variant once, and it had zero impact on the game. I think the difference was that we were playing at a slightly higher skill level, and so there was less wasted effort/energy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.