Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
52 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Another criticism of coddled college students rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.vox.com/2015/9/14/9326965/obama-political-correct...

Obama wrote:
It’s not just sometimes folks who are mad that colleges are too liberal that have a problem. Sometimes there are folks on college campuses who are liberal, and maybe even agree with me on a bunch of issues, who sometimes aren’t listening to the other side, and that’s a problem too. I’ve heard some college campuses where they don’t want to have a guest speaker who is too conservative or they don’t want to read a book if it has language that is offensive to African-Americans or somehow sends a demeaning signal towards women. I gotta tell you, I don’t agree with that either. I don’t agree that you, when you become students at colleges, have to be coddled and protected from different points of view. I think you should be able to — anybody who comes to speak to you and you disagree with, you should have an argument with ‘em. But you shouldn’t silence them by saying, "You can’t come because I'm too sensitive to hear what you have to say." That’s not the way we learn either.


Do you agree w/ Obama?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:

Do you agree w/ Obama?


And if you do, that means you support Obama, just ask Drew.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
http://www.vox.com/2015/9/14/9326965/obama-political-correct...

Obama wrote:
It’s not just sometimes folks who are mad that colleges are too liberal that have a problem. Sometimes there are folks on college campuses who are liberal, and maybe even agree with me on a bunch of issues, who sometimes aren’t listening to the other side, and that’s a problem too. I’ve heard some college campuses where they don’t want to have a guest speaker who is too conservative or they don’t want to read a book if it has language that is offensive to African-Americans or somehow sends a demeaning signal towards women. I gotta tell you, I don’t agree with that either. I don’t agree that you, when you become students at colleges, have to be coddled and protected from different points of view. I think you should be able to — anybody who comes to speak to you and you disagree with, you should have an argument with ‘em. But you shouldn’t silence them by saying, "You can’t come because I'm too sensitive to hear what you have to say." That’s not the way we learn either.


Do you agree w/ Obama?


With what he says, or the way he actually is?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Terwox wrote:
http://www.vox.com/2015/9/14/9326965/obama-political-correct...

Obama wrote:
It’s not just sometimes folks who are mad that colleges are too liberal that have a problem. Sometimes there are folks on college campuses who are liberal, and maybe even agree with me on a bunch of issues, who sometimes aren’t listening to the other side, and that’s a problem too. I’ve heard some college campuses where they don’t want to have a guest speaker who is too conservative or they don’t want to read a book if it has language that is offensive to African-Americans or somehow sends a demeaning signal towards women. I gotta tell you, I don’t agree with that either. I don’t agree that you, when you become students at colleges, have to be coddled and protected from different points of view. I think you should be able to — anybody who comes to speak to you and you disagree with, you should have an argument with ‘em. But you shouldn’t silence them by saying, "You can’t come because I'm too sensitive to hear what you have to say." That’s not the way we learn either.


Do you agree w/ Obama?


With what he says, or the way he actually is?
No with his choice of cheese.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Terwox wrote:
http://www.vox.com/2015/9/14/9326965/obama-political-correct...

Obama wrote:
It’s not just sometimes folks who are mad that colleges are too liberal that have a problem. Sometimes there are folks on college campuses who are liberal, and maybe even agree with me on a bunch of issues, who sometimes aren’t listening to the other side, and that’s a problem too. I’ve heard some college campuses where they don’t want to have a guest speaker who is too conservative or they don’t want to read a book if it has language that is offensive to African-Americans or somehow sends a demeaning signal towards women. I gotta tell you, I don’t agree with that either. I don’t agree that you, when you become students at colleges, have to be coddled and protected from different points of view. I think you should be able to — anybody who comes to speak to you and you disagree with, you should have an argument with ‘em. But you shouldn’t silence them by saying, "You can’t come because I'm too sensitive to hear what you have to say." That’s not the way we learn either.


Do you agree w/ Obama?


With what he says, or the way he actually is?


Do you agree with his stated quote in the original post?

When has he contradicted this statement?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Terwox wrote:
http://www.vox.com/2015/9/14/9326965/obama-political-correct...

Obama wrote:
It’s not just sometimes folks who are mad that colleges are too liberal that have a problem. Sometimes there are folks on college campuses who are liberal, and maybe even agree with me on a bunch of issues, who sometimes aren’t listening to the other side, and that’s a problem too. I’ve heard some college campuses where they don’t want to have a guest speaker who is too conservative or they don’t want to read a book if it has language that is offensive to African-Americans or somehow sends a demeaning signal towards women. I gotta tell you, I don’t agree with that either. I don’t agree that you, when you become students at colleges, have to be coddled and protected from different points of view. I think you should be able to — anybody who comes to speak to you and you disagree with, you should have an argument with ‘em. But you shouldn’t silence them by saying, "You can’t come because I'm too sensitive to hear what you have to say." That’s not the way we learn either.


Do you agree w/ Obama?


With what he says, or the way he actually is?


Do you agree with his stated quote in the original post?

When has he contradicted this statement?


He seems to get rid of people that he disagrees with.
Is that, "having an argument"?

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2013/11/obama-vs-the-...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
http://www.vox.com/2015/9/14/9326965/obama-political-correct...

Obama wrote:
It’s not just sometimes folks who are mad that colleges are too liberal that have a problem. Sometimes there are folks on college campuses who are liberal, and maybe even agree with me on a bunch of issues, who sometimes aren’t listening to the other side, and that’s a problem too. I’ve heard some college campuses where they don’t want to have a guest speaker who is too conservative or they don’t want to read a book if it has language that is offensive to African-Americans or somehow sends a demeaning signal towards women. I gotta tell you, I don’t agree with that either. I don’t agree that you, when you become students at colleges, have to be coddled and protected from different points of view. I think you should be able to — anybody who comes to speak to you and you disagree with, you should have an argument with ‘em. But you shouldn’t silence them by saying, "You can’t come because I'm too sensitive to hear what you have to say." That’s not the way we learn either.


Do you agree w/ Obama?


I am aware of this attitude on at least some college campuses (it appears to be more common at elite colleges). I strongly agree with Obama's statement as to how colleges should be.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Zzzzzz....

You're asking the wrong question. What Jesus Obama said in the quote has been being said -- and denied by linerals -- by critics of the liberal PC anti 1st Amendment university staff for over two decades now. And it's also been denied, defended, explained and protected here in RSP. Recently. By you Leftoids.

Now suddenly you are asking *if we agree with Obama?*

Fuck Obama. He's a parrot and a shitbag. He didn't say anything original or inspiring in your quote, he's merely decided to start the process, with the media and the millions of Obama-licking drones supporting him, of owning yet another conservative truth. By claiming it as something "he believes" he can always point to his record of confronting bias wherever it occurs, ideology notwithstanding.

And, of course, smirk a little because it's not as if he doesn't like the liberal bias and anti-conservative university mindset. He loves it. And making a canned statement acknowledging it exists is a PR strategy, not a call to action to change it.

The right question to ask is - why would anyone give a fuck what Obama says? He's a lying scum and he'll be gone. Soon.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
Leftoids now. I can't keep up with all these new terms for the Hive Mind.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Avatar
red black wrote:
If you're a regular on RSP you already know who here agrees with Obama.


Derp. This is just another gotcha moment brought to you by RSP.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
If you're a regular on RSP you already know who here agrees with Obama.


You also know who can agree with Obama on a case-by-case basis.

And who can't.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
red black wrote:
If you're a regular on RSP you already know who here agrees with Obama.


You also know who can agree with Obama on a case-by-case basis.

And who can't.


I agreed with Obama when he said he didnt want lobbyists in his admin.
I remember that from the first time he was elected.
We know how that turned out though...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
red black wrote:
If you're a regular on RSP you already know who here agrees with Obama.


You also know who can agree with Obama on a case-by-case basis.

And who can't.


I agreed with Obama when he said he didnt want lobbyists in his admin.
I remember that from the first time he was elected.
We know how that turned out though...


Sheesh. C'mon man, Obama was outed before he was nominated. He's a racist. He's got zero credibility and his record as an Illinois legislator and a useless Senator proved it. He has no history of accomplishment and changes his mind about any issue based solely on capricious public opinion and what his handlers recommend.

The only people who believe for a second that anything this guy has ever said is in any way, shape or form based on some actual belief or personal moral compass, passion or even ideology is a blind fool.

Obama-lickers are like the stupid parents of drug addicts. They love their *child* and keep letting him back in the house whereupon he steals their money, pushes Granny aside and takes her prescriptions and jumps bail when they put the house up for the bond. But they love him and they don't blame him for being a pathetic piece of shit user and criminal, because he's theirs and they know in their heart-of-hearts that someone else is really at fault.

Their baby just can't be bad. That would make them both stupid and bad themselves. And they're reasonably sure they're good people, so he must be too.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
red black wrote:
If you're a regular on RSP you already know who here agrees with Obama.


You also know who can agree with Obama on a case-by-case basis.

And who can't.


I agreed with Obama when he said he didnt want lobbyists in his admin.
I remember that from the first time he was elected.
We know how that turned out though...


Sheesh. C'mon man, Obama was outed before he was nominated. He's a racist. He's got zero credibility and his record as an Illinois legislator and a useless Senator proved it. He has no history of accomplishment and changes his mind about any issue based solely on capricious public opinion and what his handlers recommend.

The only people who believe for a second that anything this guy has ever said is in any way, shape or form based on some actual belief or personal moral compass, passion or even ideology is a blind fool.

Obama-lickers are like the stupid parents of drug addicts. They love their *child* and keep letting him back in the house whereupon he steals their money, pushes Granny aside and takes her prescriptions and jumps bail when they put the house up for the bond. But they love him and they don't blame him for being a pathetic piece of shit user and criminal, because he's theirs and they know in their heart-of-hearts that someone else is really at fault.

Their baby just can't be bad. That would make them both stupid and bad themselves. And they're reasonably sure they're good people, so he must be too.


I was just trying to say, that when Obama SAID THAT, I agreed with him.
I never really thought he would follow through. I got yelled at by someone when I said something about it, he said, Give the guy a chance.
I knew he was bad news. But I admit, I AGREED with him saying that.
But, how much does Obama really mean of what he says?
I dont want lobbyists in the administration.
Did Obama follow through on that?
Hell no.

So how does that work.
Can you agree with someone when you know they are lying?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Can you agree with someone when you know they are lying?


You aren't agreeing with them then, are you? They are lying and at the same time the lie they are telling is one they know you actually do agree with. It's like buying a car from a person who says what you want to hear - "This car has no problems and at that price is a good deal".

Of course you agree, if it has no problems and the price is fair, then it's a good deal. But if the seller knows it's not or is just saying it because he knows what makes you smile, then you're being duped.

Stupid people elected Obama twice. And despite the amazing level of proven lies he has told, they still support him.

It's pretty fucking astounding. Americans will buy any piece of shit if that piece of shit looks good and reads a script well. Sad.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Can you agree with someone when you know they are lying?


You aren't agreeing with them then, are you? They are lying and at the same time the lie they are telling is one they know you actually do agree with. It's like buying a car from a person who says what you want to hear - "This car has no problems and at that price is a good deal".

Of course you agree, if it has no problems and the price is fair, then it's a good deal. But if the seller knows it's not or is just saying it because he knows what makes you smile, then you're being duped.

Stupid people elected Obama twice. And despite the amazing level of proven lies he has told, they still support him.

It's pretty fucking astounding. Americans will buy any piece of shit if that piece of shit looks good and reads a script well. Sad.


Can you agree with the statement and not the person?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an "I disagree with Obama more than you" merit badge on the line here?
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Is there an "I disagree with Obama more than you" merit badge on the line here?


This has entered the realm of a philosophical question....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Is there an "I disagree with Obama more than you" merit badge on the line here?


Quick, Robin... to the microbadge forum!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
Do you agree w/ Obama?


It's Obummer, so it must be some kind of trick. I just haven't figured out what kind yet. Will consult Fox News and get back to you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Do you agree w/ Obama?


It's Obummer, so it must be some kind of trick. I just haven't figured out what kind yet. Will consult Fox News and get back to you.


The Tripp Postulate at work. DdJ wants you to think he's being wry, but he will actually consult Fox news.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
The Tripp Postulate at work. DdJ wants you to think he's being wry, but he will actually consult Fox news.


Nope---too lazy. Besides, I'm sure one of the RSP regulars will look up why he's deceiving us, and report back.

What I didn't know (but I didn't learn from Fox News) was that Obama said this in response to a question about Ben Carson. Carson said that the federal government should monitor colleges and universities for political bias, and cut off their funding if it decides they exhibit bias. I can't think of anything that could possibly go wrong with that.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The statement is ok,, Obama is liar.

The teachers union is owned by democrats,, if it were owned by republicans it could be skewed the other direction,, Obama is saying this for PR. Don't listen to any blast of wind this man says... I wish we could have kept the government shut down until he left office
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinT1 wrote:
The statement is ok,, Obama is liar.

The teachers union is owned by democrats,, if it were owned by republicans it could be skewed the other direction,, Obama is saying this for PR. Don't listen to any blast of wind this man says... I wish we could have kept the government shut down until he left office


See, I knew I wouldn't have to look it up myself.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
It's pretty fucking astounding. Americans will buy any piece of shit if that piece of shit looks good and reads a script well. Sad.


Past experience tells us they don't have to read a script well. Good looking is a must.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.