Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Parham
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there have been so many threads created about changing this amazing-looking game or adding some aspect that the designer hasn't thought of.

The most annoying arguments are in the threads about the map and stickers. I think I remember a similar argument over Shadowrun Crossfire. If you don't like the persistent nature of the game then try something without persistence or figure out your own solution; but, to constantly ask the designer to fix your issue with the game, he created that way purposely, makes no sense to me.

I say let the designers design. Then you can make a decision if you want to monetarily support their vision.

At least Isaac has been extremely gracious toward all the threads asking for miniatures or more characters or new maps or a hippopotamus in a blue necktie. He has more patience than I would in his position.

Edited: Spelled the designer's name wrong...doh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait? Are you saying that the hippopotamus WON'T have a blue necktie?! But it will still have a necktie, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you dont like the discussion about it and your answer to that was to create another thread about it?

And yes, Isaac has been fantastic, no question about that. And I am certain the game will be great as well.

If my desire for alternate solutions to details I would like included annoys you that much I apologize.

/Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the nature of Kickstarter, everyone has an opinion and feels entitled to make it heard. There's good and bad with this. The more backers you get and success you have the more voices will join the din. Nothing to worry about, Isaac knows what he's doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
Wait? Are you saying that the hippopotamus WON'T have a blue necktie?! But it will still have a necktie, right?

Sounds like we need another poll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
It's the nature of Kickstarter, everyone has an opinion and feels entitled to make it heard.

The grumpy old man in me (and trust me, the grumpy old man is strong in this one), would say that it's the nature of the Internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Parham
United States
Vacaville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created the thread to show support for the game because it has got to be frustrating from a creative standpoint for Isaac. He has clearly designed what could likely be one of the most innovative board games ever and yet, there have been far too many threads on how he should change or add to that game. It all seems very greedy to me.

By the way, this was directed at no one so no need to apologize, because I have stopped reading past the title of most of those threads.

Adamacer wrote:
So you dont like the discussion about it and your answer to that was to create another thread about it?

And yes, Isaac has been fantastic, no question about that. And I am certain the game will be great as well.

If my desire for alternate solutions to details I would like included annoys you that much I apologize.

/Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I say let the backers speak. No designer is perfect and some of the ideas suggested may very well improve the game. And if there are going to be changes, NOW is the time for them. Let the designer (Isaac in this case) decide which, if any, of the ideas have merit. No point stifling enthusiasm and creative discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quazai wrote:
And I say let the backers speak. No designer is perfect and some of the ideas suggested may very well improve the game. And if there are going to be changes, NOW is the time for them. Let the designer (Isaac in this case) decide which, if any, of the ideas have merit. No point stifling enthusiasm and creative discussion.

Well said.

I am not demanding anything of Isaac, I will back/buy and play the game regardless just from what he has shown us so far. But if I see opportunities to enrich the game experience for more people, including myself, I will suggest it. Some may disagree and prefer it a different way and that's fine. I just like games that provide the people who will be playing the games the option of deciding how to play it. After that, it is up to Isaac and his crew to decide if the idea is worth the added effort in development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:

Calm down, Marty, the hippopotamus will definitely have a blue necktie. That is integral to the whole theme of the game.

Sure, not all feedback is useful, and a lot of it is redundant, but I certainly wouldn't have it any other way. The opportunity for fans to scrutinize the project, ask questions and make suggestions is one of the amazing things about Kickstarter. The game is absolutely being made better through this process, and I am very grateful to have everybody looking out for the game in their own way.

You just gotta take the good with the bad and all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cephalofair wrote:
martidem wrote:

Calm down, Marty

My mother told me to "calm down" once. Once!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Guidry
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm just sad that these arguments haven't brought the game up on the hotness chart. I don't mind a little arguing now and then. And I doubt Isaac sees any of those threads as demands. I'd like to think he gets a laugh at our expense from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelGuidry wrote:
I'm just sad that these arguments haven't brought the game up on the hotness chart.

#7 isn't too shabby! Plus, there are currently 2 Gloomhaven images on the main page!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I predict that Gloomhaven if designed on a solid and flexible enough foundation could become the most modified game ever.

By that I mean that players will create Campaigns, scenarios and additions far beyond what we are imagining here today to the point where it spawns movies, books, a few comics and a weekly column in a major paper. Ok, maybe not that much, but still I think this game has the potential to grab peoples imaginations much like traditional RPG's and lend them the tools to build their own version of Gloomhaven, upon this great concept foundation.

/Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adamacer wrote:

I predict that Gloomhaven if designed on a solid and flexible enough foundation could become the most modified game ever.

By that I mean that players will create Campaigns, scenarios and additions far beyond what we are imagining here today to the point where it spawns movies, books, a few comics and a weekly column in a major paper. Ok, maybe not that much, but still I think this game has the potential to grab peoples imaginations much like traditional RPG's and lend them the tools to build their own version of Gloomhaven, upon this great concept foundation.

/Adam

I don't know that Gloomhaven with become as big as D&D or Pathfinder or the like, but we do live in the Golden Hayday of Boardgames. Gamers will be creating all sorts of new scenarios and monsters and classes and items and events and... Just have a look at any popular campaign style board game here on BGG and you're bound to find lots of fan-made content in the Variants forum and Files section.

I have no doubt that the world surrounding Gloomhaven will become very expansive in the next few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:
martidem wrote:

Calm down, Marty

Since I know what movie this comes from, does that make me old, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JPN38 wrote:
martidem wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:
martidem wrote:

Calm down, Marty

Yes. But "grumpy" is yet to be determined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martidem wrote:
JPN38 wrote:
martidem wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:
martidem wrote:

Calm down, Marty

It's an .88 magnum. It shoots through schools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
martidem wrote:
JPN38 wrote:
martidem wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:
martidem wrote:

Calm down, Marty

That doesn't make you grumpy. It just makes you a fargin bastage.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NICE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
martidem wrote:
JPN38 wrote:
martidem wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:
martidem wrote:

Calm down, Marty

Arrrrgh I know ive heard that before.... on the tip of my tongue. ok I give up, what movie was that from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
bird94us wrote:
martidem wrote:
JPN38 wrote:
martidem wrote:
Cephalofair wrote:
martidem wrote:

Calm down, Marty

Arrrrgh I know ive heard that before.... on the tip of my tongue. ok I give up, what movie was that from?

Johnny Dangerously. Came out in the mid-80s, I think. I'm pretty sure I was in high-school at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.