Subject: Has anyone made a version of Dune using pix from the film? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the subject line says it all, but has anyone made a version of AH Dune using movie images from the movie (not the made-for-TV one, silly!)?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

-TF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Has anyone made a version of Dune using pix from the fil
Most folks I know have spent the better part of the last two decades trying to forget that movie ever happened.

The pain!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the movie definitely had its faults. Kind of like if Peter Jackson had attempted to tell the LOTR over a single film.

But the imagery, I maintain, was outstanding. Great costumes and cinematography. I just really liked the LOOK (if not the substance) of the film. I will confess that I thought the film has gotten a bit of a bad rap, but once again, trying to tell THAT story in a single film to a hardcore sci-fi audience was doomed to failure.

Heck, the miniseries had enough problems (and I did not find the 'look' of the miniseries nearly as appealing as the film).

-TF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Robins
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, considering the miniseries was done on a shoe string budget, using a style that was more akin to a theatrical production, I thought it made a mockery out of the original movie...even the longer slightly more accurate director's cut. But it may be true, given a longer running time, it might have had a better chance with the more hardcore sci-fi audience.

Anyway, I digress, I used to own a version of the AH game that I could swear had Sting on the cover, or somewhere in the box/instructions. At least artwork that resembled him. But then I was only like 13 when I happened upon the game. I never did play it, which is a shame given the reviews it seems to have recieved. Maybe I'm just mixing imagery up in my head though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Nico. There are two cover versions of the Avalon Hill edition(s) of Dune. One has a definitely Sting-esque (though not a photographic level likeness) character on the cover. But that's the closest to it.

And let me be clear. I LIKE the Dune movie, but I can see how the shortcuts taken (especially the ending) alienated hardcore Dune fans. I was willing to make artistic allowances for the sake of seeing it on the big screen, but I could see why many weren't.

That said, I would have LOVED to have Dune presented with the same look/cast as 2 or even 3 films that were more true to the book. But whatcha gonna do at this point?

I guess the closest thing: redo the boardgame with the movie graphics.

Well, when I have the time to spare, I guess I'll try to see what I can put together.

-TF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well, posts here seem to indicate that the issues are with the film are due to the expectations of the hard-core Dune or Sci-fi fan. I am niether, and the movie was my first exposure to the world of Dune. Frankly I think the movie was more inclined to appeal to the Frank Herbert fan. Here's why:

1: I vaguely remember the excitement among Dune fans when this movie was being released. They wanted to like this movie. Folks without previous knowledge of the book either saw it as a strange new direction for David Lynch and/or an attempt to grab some of that Star Wars/Trek cash.

2: Only having digested the book could a person even begin to understand whole sections of the film! I was following the movie pretty damn closely (in an attempt to bone up on a looming AH Dune game I was invited to) and I had no freaking idea what that freaking Space Walrus was or why he was farting lasers as he slowly floated through a Pink Floyd light show. For example.

3. I mean, really. Think about it. It was a Sci-Fi movie by a cult director and it was freaking long. And slow-paced. And did I mention long? In other words,the appearance of Sting notwithstanding, I hardly think the movie's problem was that it was too accessible for the hard-core fan. I mean, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Andelloux
United States
Nantucket
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hipster Eye of Providence says: I was an all seeing disembodied eye before Peter Jackson made it cool.
badge
Don't move, I've lost my contact lens!
mbmbmbmbmb
NSlikster wrote:
Anyway, I digress, I used to own a version of the AH game that I could swear had Sting on the cover, or somewhere in the box/instructions. At least artwork that resembled him. But then I was only like 13 when I happened upon the game. I never did play it, which is a shame given the reviews it seems to have recieved. Maybe I'm just mixing imagery up in my head though.

Nope, you're not imagining anything. Here's the image:

And for what it's worth, there's one for sale right now on ebay, Item #320068004064

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the sake of brevity, I did not go into too much detail on my "review" of Dune, the movie.

But I think this thread covers the predominant criticisms (and praises) well.

The movie was not true enough to the book(s) for the hardcore fan (because to truly do so would require at least a second film), yet was, again for the sake of squeezing in enough of the story into just a single film, too cryptic for the casual fan, glossing over entire subplots that the bulk of the viewing public just could not be expected to piece together on their own.

That said, I was/am in that small group that falls in-between, and enjoyed the film as I was familiar with the book but was willing to ignore some inconsistency for the sake of the visual experience. And that was primarily because I really enjoy the aesthetics of the movie. Once again, the cinematography, makeup, and costumes were fantastic, and I think would set the mood of the game very well.

-TF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Holliday
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally agree with Russell. I like both the book and the Lynch movie - and especially the Movie Soundtrack that went along with it. All those elements form the entire Dune universe I like so much.

And yes, I'm just creating my copy of the AH game using pictures from the movie (I don't even want to mention the miniseries...). I finished the player shields using the pictures from the TV version. These pics are drawn but look good for the game, and there are all factions you need. The leader disks are taking much more time and effort. I haven't finished all of them, and I had to use different images for some characters (Wanna, Tuek, Fenring...). So there is a mixture of photos (snapshot pics from dvd) and drawn images (some from the Dune CCG).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I made my own copy of Dune and used pics (stills) from the films. I used pictures of the armies on cardboard counters to represent troops, and used all the leaders from the David Lynch films. Any leaders who I didn't know who they were (i.e. most of the Guild), I just used generic guild man from background, and gave him the name which matched up with the board game- of course you can get good pics of all the main characters, i.e. Gurney Halleck (Patrick Stewart), Piter De Vries, etc. etc. I really liked the visual theme of the Lynch movie, the pacing of the film was wrong however, but I didn;t think this detracted from the look or feel of the film.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.