1 Posts

Flying Colors» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Game - Audierne Bay (Solo) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian B
United States
flag msg tools
Got FC for Christmas 2006 and decided to take it out of the box and see how she sails. Choose the Audierne Bay scenario because the low ship count (three ships) would allow me to focus on game basics before stepping up to a larger fleet battle.

Set-up was per the scenario instructions. The British fleet, with the greater Audacity rating and the wind at their backs was able to rapidly overtake Droit de l'Homme (with a Breezy +1 and the small-ship bonus of +1 the British fleet was nearly 50% faster than the lumbering French). Amazon took the brunt of the punishment (rigging hits in an vain attempt by the French to slow her down) but she was able to rake the French ship twice. By the time Indefatigable engaged Droit de l'Homme was damaged and not even a contest. The Frenchman died so fast she never even got a chance to strike, but sank outright by the end of turn seven.

Charts: The Charts seem poorly laid out. The Firepower Chart takes some getting used to. Moving up/down for rate and adding/subtracting firepower in the same chart takes some getting used to. The Carronade table is on the same leaf as the Firepower Chart yet you use the numbers on the to-hit table on another leaf. The movment modifiers are on one leaf but the basic movement numbers are on yet another. This jumping around charts and modifiers up/down or add/subtract was confusing at first.

BOTTOM LINE: The scenario is NOT balanced. This is a good LEARNING scenario, but the pace of battle means you I could experiment with movement and fire combat only; the ships died before I could get into Melee Combat.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.