Quartermaster General» Forums » Variants

Subject: Modern warfare/near future version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh, I wanna see a modern warfare/near future version of this game. With temporary alliances instead of axis and allies, terrorists, cyberwar, technology advances, oil grabbing, etc.

Please make it happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
badmojo wrote:
Oh, I wanna see a modern warfare/near future version...

Personally I would like to see a Napoleonic version with France and Britain as the two main contenders and Austria, Prussia, Russia and Spain able to either ally with the French or become part of an anti-French coalition.

These changeable alliances would make it a right "stab-in-the-back" affair.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the designer has already stated he is working on a Pelopennison War setting for the next game of his with the same mechanisms. I hope he chimes in and tells me how quickly he can take my money..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all

Victory or Death! The Peloponnesian War
2-4 players

Is in blindtesting now. There will be a kickstarter very soon! There are still production questions to answer, so I don't have precise details as of yet. I do have some blind testers but I don't mind hearing from more of you, if you want to give it a try. It will take some doing to put together the blind test kit, and in the end there's no final artwork. However, I do believe things are mostly done. I do keep finding little typos - things the spell checker and grammar checker don't find...

PM me if you are interested in blindtesting. I do need people to play sooner than later.

Quartermaster General: The Great War
2-5 players
This is the next project. Doing my research now.

Quartermaster General: Alternate Histories
This is the first time anyone other than my wife and Nick have heard of this. I'm secretly working on an small expansion that would provide players deck construction rules and more cards in which to do it. No, you won't be able to give Japan seven Build Army cards. This will be a playtesting nightmare....and way too much fun.

Napoleonics is always in the back of my mind. I have actually done a ton of work already on this project, but there are a lot of things to do in life...

If the Victory or Death sales are good, I'm thinking about a Persian War mini-game "expansion" that uses the same pieces but just wants some more cards. Not really an expansion so much as a different game that requires the first game, but at a very reasonable price point.

And the list goes on...I've also got family games I'm working on, albeit more slowly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've written up a framework for a Seven Years War version of the game. Not sure if it will work though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Brody
United States
Woodstock
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
I've written up a framework for a Seven Years War version of the game. Not sure if it will work though.

That's cool. It would be a hard project for me since I don't know history very well. A big challenge is to make a game so that people who know the history feel like an authentic alternative narrative is presented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Fry
United States
Temperance
MI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My father (circa 1945). He navigated B-24's (5thAF 22ndBG) in the Pacific Theater.
mbmbmbmbmb
oneilljgf wrote:
badmojo wrote:
Oh, I wanna see a modern warfare/near future version...

Personally I would like to see a Napoleonic version with France and Britain as the two main contenders and Austria, Prussia, Russia and Spain able to either ally with the French or become part of an anti-French coalition.

These changeable alliances would make it a right "stab-in-the-back" affair.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

+1 vote for Napoleonic. Perfect fit for this system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IanBrody wrote:
sdiberar wrote:

That's cool. It would be a hard project for me since I don't know history very well. A big challenge is to make a game so that people who know the history feel like an authentic alternative narrative is presented.

If it doesn't fall flat on its face after the first few tests, I will happily share it with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
IanBrody wrote:
...Napoleonics is always in the back of my mind.

Ah, Ian, this would be as great a success as Quartermaster.

Regards,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Vaughn
United States
Pleasant Hill
Missouri
flag msg tools
Ian,

I like the line-up of games you have presented - go for it! And, I would support your expanding the system into the Napoleonic era . . . and whatever other eras you feel would work well. Great job!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1. Insta-buy on new settings, be it Greece, Napoleonics etc.

As regards historic settings it might IMO be a good idea to include options for a less "historic" and more general game, ie not specific a well-known war but a setting that can cover a lot of ground. More Mare Nostrum than Hannibal. Scenarios that let Greek warring city states compete more loosely rather than "just" a war from that period, with pre-fixed allies etc.

The use of specific wars in the title might attract grognards, but scare away casual gamers or people who do not know anything about the Peloponnesian War etc.

But please also consider a near future grand strategy war game with geo-political bearings, in the vein of Supremacy, the lost Reigns of Power from FFG, Imperial 2030, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
badmojo wrote:
Oh, I wanna see a modern warfare/near future version of this game. With temporary alliances instead of axis and allies, terrorists, cyberwar, technology advances, oil grabbing, etc.

As much as I love this game engine and would love to see something similar to this, I think having temporary/shifting alliances would be *incredibly* difficult to balance, due to the vagaries of deck sizes and composition. Like, in QMG, playing Italy is fun as you are part of a team, and even though you have the smallest, weakest deck, you still can be important and the game is balanced due to due to the 3 way alliance. If the game was one of "make friends with whoever you can!", Italy would be a horrible position to start as.

I suppose you could make a game using the same engine, and give every position the exact same deck, but that would be a lot less interesting, as games design goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.