Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
...is a set of steak knives. Third place is you're fired.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks!

So, I've preordered two core sets. One thing I really enjoyed about the first edition was the online recommendations for creating four balanced decks from two sets, offering up a less swingy and more balanced game experience as if it were "out of the box."

I plan on trying to do the same with 2nd edition. Keep in mind the goal is not to build a competitive deck; it's to simply use the contents in two core sets to create four solid representative decks.

My plan was to flesh out the pairings recommended in the rules: Stark/Greyjoy, Lannister/Tyrell, etc. but build them legal by including only non-loyal cards from the banner faction.

Any advice regarding rules of thumb for contents in a standard 60 card deck? My estimate was:

44 characters
8 locations
4 attachments
4 events

If I build four decks, I figure every deck gets two copies of the Kingsroad and the Roseroad.

Once I've got some lists and done some playing with them, maybe I'll post if people are interested. I suspect other people might try and do the same, and not everyone plans on buying three core sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
heyyouyeahyou 12
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your character count is a little high. Most decks run between 30-35 characters. Your location and attachment count seems about right. I'd increase the number of events however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lytic Phage
msg tools
I discussed (and built) 6 decks I built from 3 coresets in order to run demos on our podcast the week before last: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/game-of-thr...

I've linked 4 of them in that announcement article, and the other 2 are going up later today.

It's not quite the 2x core decks you were hoping for, but the decks themselves limited themselves to primarily using only 2 cores (with a few exceptions for 'filler' cards), so they might serve as a pretty decent starting point. In fact, the vast majority of the cards I needed from the 3rd core were economy cards/plots for decks 5 & 6 - so constraining yourself to 4 decks should simplify things.

It's also worth noting that Demo decks aren't necessarily what you're looking for if you're looking for repeated play experience. If I knew the decks would see multiple playthroughs, I might not feel as strong of an objection to cards like, say, 'Like Warm Rain' that the opponent can learn to play around. I'd also object less to using Banner agendas, for instance - which can help in balancing a matchup but take away some of the 'flavour' I hope to present in demo'ing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so, for a new player like myself:
- I have 1 copy ordered, should I order a 2nd?
- if so, assuming I will use all the cards from the 1st purchase...which cards will I be pulling out of my 2nd copy and adding to the orig's? and will certain cards only be added to certain orig decks?

I too would prefer fairly balanced decks, but i'm just not sure how to go about it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my thinking why a 2nd core set is a nice edition.

With one core, to make a deck, you're basically taking 20 cards from one faction, 20 cards from another faction, adding a few neutrals, and mashing them together. Most cards will be only a single copy, so I suspect the result is a bit "swingy." Players will be hoping to draw their big characters at the right time, and if they don't it's too bad so sad!

By adding a second core set, you now have duplicates of key cards. You can also start to remove some underpowered or niche-type cards. I expect about 50 to 60% of the 2nd core set gets used to flesh out four balanced decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so you'd "stack" the decks to make sure each player had (approx.) the same number of key cards? (or even the same exact key cards?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
so you'd "stack" the decks to make sure each player had (approx.) the same number of key cards? (or even the same exact key cards?)

Some cards seem good regardless of the deck. There is a location they boosts economy and one core set contains four copies. So two copies would go in each deck.

A neutral like little finger is probably one copy in each deck, but varys probably goes in one or two but not all.

My goal will be to create equally competitive decks yet let each deck try to approach winning in a different fashion. We will see how it goes. To your point I might throttle back one deck if it seems stronger than the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Turner
msg tools
John,
Keep in mind that the Chapter Packs will help to build up your card count as well. I going to just buy 1 core and a few chapter packs before deciding on a 2nd, and possibly 3rd core.
-Shaun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
but if you're normally probably going to be playing with 2 players, is the 2nd "core" game something I really should get?

(and i'm guessing the older chapter packs will not work with this edition, correct?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg H.
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
but if you're normally probably going to be playing with 2 players, is the 2nd "core" game something I really should get?

(and i'm guessing the older chapter packs will not work with this edition, correct?)

If you plan on playing it two players only, then the reason to get a 2nd core set likely depends on your expectation that you and another person want to do any deckbuilding. If so, get the 2nd core set. If not, play with only one copy and see if you like it!

My gut tells me that if you're approaching the game from a point of curiosity, simply getting you one copy will quickly tell you if you like it or not. You don't have to make a decision right away about how much stuff to pick up. Experiment with one set, see if you like it, and you'll know pretty quickly if, for example, you wish you were running a 2nd copy of a unique character.

...and yes, from what I can tell, those older chapter packs are totally incompatible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.