Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dall...

Nothing like some good ol' paranoia and quite possibly Islamophobia to stifle a child's passion for learning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, just wow.

Nothing like trying to create a terrorist. Sounds like a great kid, but treating him like that certainly isn't going to nurture a love for his country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Wow, just wow.

Nothing like trying to create a terrorist. Sounds like a great kid, but treating him like that certainly isn't going to nurture a love for his country.
If he loved America he would have been born white.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it paranoia?

Quote:
“Here in high school, none of the teachers know what I can do,” Ahmed said, fiddling with a cable while a soldering iron dangled from the shelf behind him.

Obviously a threat.

Quote:
“I told her, ‘It doesn’t look like a bomb to me.’”

Clearly stating he knows what a bomb looks like because he has built thousands for elementary school jihadist.

And all this AFTER the Jade Helm military "exercise"? Clearly the whole Jade Helm thing was to supply and train mini terrorist.

Thanks Obama.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
And on the same news day - a 15 year old girl stabbed her mother to death after watching videos of brutal murders by ISIS and being prompted by her Iraqi Jihadist boyfriend.

http://time.com/4035870/danish-teen-isis-mother-murder-lisa-...

One misstep in Texas doesn't incriminate "Texas" or even America. Bad shit happens to good people all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If only he had been on a trip to the middle east, we could have drone killed him and no one would be the wiser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
The result is a bit silly of course, but a bit of caution around such things doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Expelling the kid for 3 days does, however, seem a bit ridiculous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
The result is a bit silly of course, but a bit of caution around such things doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

1. He built a clock
2. And told everybody in authority it was a clock
3. And let them look at the clock
4. Terrorists, as a rule, do not say things like "hey, look at my bomb, isn't it a great bomb"
5. He was then arrested because it "looked like a movie bomb"
6. In real life bombs don't typically have big-ass clocks on them
7. The reason for expelling him is that he had perpetrated a "bomb hoax," despite the fact that he was crystal clear at every point that he had made a clock, which is in fact what he had made
8. Because what the principal meant when he said the clock "looked like a bomb" is, really, that to him the kid looked like a bomber
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
mightygodking wrote:
sfox wrote:
The result is a bit silly of course, but a bit of caution around such things doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

1. He built a clock
2. And told everybody in authority it was a clock
3. And let them look at the clock
4. Terrorists, as a rule, do not say things like "hey, look at my bomb, isn't it a great bomb"
5. He was then arrested because it "looked like a movie bomb"
6. In real life bombs don't typically have big-ass clocks on them
7. The reason for expelling him is that he had perpetrated a "bomb hoax," despite the fact that he was crystal clear at every point that he had made a clock, which is in fact what he had made
8. Because what the principal meant when he said the cl
ock "looked like a bomb" is, really, that to him the kid looked like a bomber

And this part: "Police say they may yet charge him with making a hoax bomb — though they acknowledge he told everyone who would listen that it’s a clock."

Apparently, Texas cops are so stupid that they are going to arrest him for making a hoax bomb, even though (a) there was never a bomb; and (b) there was never a hoax. They are really SLOW in Texas. What does bomb mean? What does hoax mean? Let's ask a ninth grader. They probably know the definitions of those four letter words.

This seems like a prime example CYA'ing. We can't admit we were wrong, so we're going to persist in idiocy to save face. Plus, he looks like those ISIS dudes on TV, so who can blame us really?

Way to go Texas. Bright-eyed curious ninth grader made into an angry, chip-on-shoulder teenager.

'MURICA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair to most of the nutjobs, they were hungover from all of the "We held off the Jade Helm takeover" celebrations ringing throughout the state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm waiting for the "it was a dry run- if no one had confronted him it would have been a bomb next time" nutjobs to crawl out from under their rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
I'm waiting for the "it was a dry run- if no one had confronted him it would have been a bomb next time" nutjobs to crawl out from under their rocks.
Tripp almost went there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

Oooo. I know now. It's a devious plot where the Texas police are going to look really stupid, take it out on the stupid teachers and leave everyone afraid to confront all the Muslim kids that are working on their bombs right now. Way to uncover the devious plot, aiabx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I cringed so hard when I saw the photo of him wearing a NASA T-shirt while handcuffed. How could these teachers be so stupid???

I wonder if there is some way I can send him a gift certificate to an electronics store, not that this would make it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the charges have been dropped, but the police still insist it was a "hoax bomb."

The next step is for the school to expunge the suspension from his permanent record. If that is allowed to remain, it could affect his ability to get into certain colleges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Looks like the charges have been dropped, but the police still insist it was a "hoax bomb."

The next step is for the school to expunge the suspension from his permanent record. If that is allowed to remain, it could affect his ability to get into certain colleges.

Well, that and being Muslim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the result of capitalism. The ignorance and fear generated by the need to create an external foreign threat in order to subdue the populace so that the capitalists can ride roughshod over everyone manifests these incidents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:
This is the result of capitalism. The ignorance and fear generated by the need to create an external foreign threat in order to subdue the populace so that the capitalists can ride roughshod over everyone manifests these incidents.
No it is not, the religious rivalry between Christianity and Islam dates back to befroe capitalism.

It is in fact the result of power politics and the desire for power.

It may well be that modern capitalism exploits it for it's own ends, but capitalism is not at it's root.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LightRider wrote:

Are you going to let him get away with being that stupid, McSpiffy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
The reason for expelling him is that he had perpetrated a "bomb hoax," despite the fact that he was crystal clear at every point that he had made a clock, which is in fact what he had made

So you believe that a kid who brings a fake gun to school and tells everyone it is fake shouldn't be expelled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/northwest-dall...

Nothing like some good ol' paranoia and quite possibly Islamophobia to stifle a child's passion for learning.

Not getting "Islamaphobia" from the article (though one could understand it 100% if present), just overreaction on the part of the schools.

In my school my teacher regularly sent folks down to the cafeteria to get a knife or something. I walked through the halls with a whopping big cake carving knife one time when I was in kindergarten -- the only teacher who stopped me just wanted to know where I was going.

Schools way overreact. Saddened this was Texas (they should know better).

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
mightygodking wrote:
The reason for expelling him is that he had perpetrated a "bomb hoax," despite the fact that he was crystal clear at every point that he had made a clock, which is in fact what he had made

So you believe that a kid who brings a fake gun to school and tells everyone it is fake shouldn't be expelled?
This kid did not ever say it was a fake bomb, so not sure of the equivalency here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
And on the same news day - a 15 year old girl stabbed her mother to death after watching videos of brutal murders by ISIS and being prompted by her Iraqi Jihadist boyfriend.

http://time.com/4035870/danish-teen-isis-mother-murder-lisa-...

One misstep in Texas doesn't incriminate "Texas" or even America. Bad shit happens to good people all the time.

Well said sir, well said.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
sfox wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

If a kid brings a cucumber into school, say it's a cucumber and he gets expelled for bringing in a fake gun then yes, he shouldn't be expelled.

Otherwise your equivalency is complete wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
mightygodking wrote:

I do, we've way over-reacted to toys!

But I think dodgeball should still be allowed at recess, so I am clearly a dinosaur in today's "modern" educational process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [43] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.