Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
Lost in Cardboard
badge
Original Duckface
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview
Carcassonne is a tile-laying game for 2 to 5 players which captures the spirit of constructing a medieval town, complete with castles, farms and roads.

Components
The components consist of a scoring track, the cardboard tiles themselves, and the adorable wooden 'meeples' in five different colours. Almost everyone I've taught the game to adore the little wooden figures, and will often play meeple pyramid building while waiting for their turn.

Gameplay
One meeple has the honour of running around the scoreboard, while the rest have to labour as your pawns. The starting tile is placed face up on the board, and then players will take turns to draw and place a random tile in such a way that it matches all sides adjacent. Then, if a player has free meeples available, he can elect to place one on the tile he just placed, and transform said meeple into a knight, farmer, robber or monk, corresponding to the appropriate feature on the tile. When players complete constructing these features, they will receive points, and the meeple will be returned to their reserves, with the exception of the farmer, which represents a long-term strategy. Players are limited in their placing by zones of control, and cannot ordinarily invade an opponent's territory, but may be able to do so by playing sneakily. The game continues until the last tile has been drawn and placed; then all incomplete structures and farms are scored. The basic game also comes with an expansion, called 'the River', which lets players build a river before they commence with the town as usual.

Summary
Because of the flexible number of people able to play and the relative simplicity of the game, it is ideally suited for families or younger children. I once taught 4 kids to play in very little time and they had a blast. It also has enough depth to keep the adults entertained, and there are numerous expansions to suit just about any taste. Lastly, the game is one of the more affordable titles and is a great entry-level board game.

Score : 7/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Younger" children?

I don't know what you mean by that, but I shiver in the thought of explaining a farm-scoring rule to a 6-year old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hertzog van Heerden
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
Lost in Cardboard
badge
Original Duckface
mbmbmbmbmb
Well to be fair the youngsters were in the 8 - 9 age group. They were sharp as tacks (and all 4 related).

So I guess 'younger' is a little too subjective a word

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.