Popular Tags: [View All]
Dune Tiger
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played UFS. Just wondering if there are any UFS players who might be able to weigh in on this.

Would you consider switching to Exceed based on the videos? Why or why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a current UFS player but used to play a lot of it back in the day. I don't see Exceed as something that would replace UFS mainly for the fact that deck building is a large part of the draw for UFS. Being able to pick and choose which abilities you want or don't want and how you play a particular character is a lot of fun.

The mechanics are also quite different, with UFS being a lot more about comboing and pressing your luck when it comes to how many cards you will play each turn. Exceed seems to be a lot more about movement, board position, and tactical strikes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Former UFS player. I started when the game first launched under Sabertooth Games and stopped around when Soul Calibur 4 and Fantasy Flight Games was running the show. I'm a huge fan of BattleCON though.

EDIT: I see this closer to being a hybrid of BattleCON and Yomi. As Matthew said the deck building part is pretty big in UFS. Every character can be built different ways and thus can play differently. Want a fast attack character? Build a deck with low cost difficulty attacks like jabs. This is a fixed card game, with each character having a fixed deck that represents that character. My group loves BattleCON but they are liking EXCEED a lot more. Half of my group are former UFS players too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I still have a (nearly) full collection of FF's infamous Shadowar block for UFS. It's a fun game, but I play it "preconstructed" with a given character only having his or her specific cards in the decks (which isn't in the true spirit of the game). As others have mentioned, the ability to customize a deck is a major element of UFS that is not present in Exceed (in addition to quite different mechanics).

All in all, I like Exceed more because I like having thematic decks centered on characters, and Exceed seems to be 1) cheaper and 2) more balanced in that specific regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DeMars
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played any UFS (I've barely even looked at the cards) but I will probably end up picking up some from the upcoming Indines set, especially provided it isn't a random booster set (I think I heard somewhere it would be sold in "tins," which is not something I fully understand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Is UFS something where you would need staple cards from a base set to be able to build useful decks (out of this upcoming Indines set), or are the starters(?) usually playable out of the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brosman
United States
Roanoke
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's done in Tins as the Mega Man and Darkstalkers sets were originally, you should end up with pretty playable decks out of the tins alone. They're not going to win a tournament by any means, but they will be a VERY good place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:
Is UFS something where you would need staple cards from a base set to be able to build useful decks (out of this upcoming Indines set), or are the starters(?) usually playable out of the box?

The starters are playable out of the box like any other starter from other CCGs. The staples might be foundations or attacks from other sets... but that is usually based on the symbols the deck is built around. For casual play, you don't need any staples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.