1 Posts

Descent: The Well of Darkness» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The Chase comes to an end in The Well of Darkness Part 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casey Rogers
United States
flag msg tools
We were able to finish up our quest (please see part 1 first, seriously go back and read it or this won't make any sense) on New Year's day.

When we last left off, the heroes Nanook of the Blade and Tetherys were in mortal danger. With one conquest token left, their quest to rid the lovely vacation spot of a town of the evil that lurks beneath hung by a fraying thread.

The teleported back into the dungeon and quickly cleared the foul ferrox, kobolds and skeleton from the dank halls. But somehow a lone ogre appeared near the red rune locked door. Lucky for the heroes, the narrow corridor connecting them to the ogre-occupied room had a pit and rubble keeping the ogre at bay. But they would have to enter the third area from the northern door. Inside they found another ogre and a manticore! But luckily a silver treasure chest and a glyph. The nasty monsters felt the cold kiss of death at the heroes hands. Nanook of the Blade and Tetherys found some magical treasures and repaired another glyph to town.

Fortunately for the Overlord, a few turns later, he drew the last card in his shadow deck of tricks, snatching away another 3 victory points. The heroes were down to 1 conquest token. Should they resign or push forward into the final area? They decided to persevere. Nanook opened the rune locked door and there was a disabled glyph a few feet from the entrance. Standing next to it was an angry master ogre!

Tethrys rushed through the door and activated the run of transportation. But from there the heroes advanced no more. The ogre continued to have near death experiences, but came back from the light two times before finally dying. By the additional sorcerors and skeletons managed to kill Nanook and slay Tetherys.

I give The Chase a big thumbs up. One of the bests scenarios I've played. Granted the two heroes really had some great abilities that balanced the game for them against the overlord's new Well of Darkness tricks, but I think it really worked well with two heroes, and just as well I imagine with three. I used crushing blow on the heroes twice after they got the gold treasure chest, really limiting their ability to do damage right before confronting the boss, which they were overpowered before they got there anyway. Crushing Blow is really a heavy loss in a scenario with few heroes, but playing as the overlord most of the time, in a four-hero game when a chest dishes out two bronze, silver or gold treasures, that makes for a lot of powerful heroes and crushing blow helps to eliminate that. In a two-hero game though, it was kind of harsh but pretty crucial to my victory.

I really looking forward to playing more with the expansion and using more of the treachery cards, and busting out some golems!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.