flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Players: Fraser, Melissa, Biggie

Biggie (then 7.5) had been begging to play Settlers for an entire three-day weekend before we gave in. When we started talking about probability with her, we started tracking the dice rolls in our games of Settlers, to see whether the (notional) bell curve would hold true.

The final results of this game were:
Fraser -> 10 VP (Winner)
Biggie -> 3 VP (2nd)
Melissa -> 2 VP (3rd)

Yeah, you read right. Due to good early placement and some luck with the robber, Fraser sat on a couple of uncontested 8 spaces all game (producing wood and rock) and Biggie and I never even had a chance to build.

The rolls for the game:

2 | 0 rolls - producing sheep
3 | 4 rolls - producing wood and wheat
4 | 4 rolls - producing brick and rock
5 | 1 roll - producing brick and wood
6 | 8 rolls - producing brick and sheep
7 | 7 rolls -
8 | 7 rolls - producing wood and rock
9 | 6 rolls - producing sheep and wheat
10 | 4 rolls - producing sheep and wheat
11 | 2 rolls - producing rock and wood
12 | 1 roll - producing wheat

Total: 44 rolls (15 rounds). We find an average 3 player game usually runs between 70 and 90 rolls, so this was definitely unusual.

The other interesting aspect of this game - and of Fraser's victory - was that he never, ever, built on a sheep space. He relied on 4:1 trades, instead (and, later, a port or two).

By the end of the game, Fraser had 4 chances to produce wood, 8 to produce rock, 8 to produce brick and 4 to produce wheat. This didn't really compare well with Melissa's 3 wood, 2 sheep and a brick, or with Biggie's 1 of everything (and a - not very useful - port).

Fortunately, our next game was somewhat closer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So apart from a lack of 5s it was all about expectation. (And of course in a short game there's more room for variation.) Are you still able to work out how the production stacks up if you just look at the initial settlements? (ie assume just the initial six settlements and no builds for the duration of the 44 rolls.)

Assuming Fraser set up to build three roads to make two settlements and the longest road, that would've still needed an extra wood and two sheep. Sounds like he used his resources pretty tightly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I didn't record what the initial placements were on - just that Fraser had at least two settlements on uncontested eights for most of the game, so presumably was pulling wood and rock quite frequently. I know he built very tightly - and I *think* he had a rock port (although I might be wrong - the game was a while ago).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Alphey
Australia
New Norfolk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:

The final results of this game were:
Fraser -> 10 VP (Winner)
Biggie -> 3 VP (2nd)
Melissa -> 2 VP (3rd)

Oh yeah, blokes rule!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.