Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Discoveries is an elegant game: simple rules combined with a large quantity of actions to allow a complex experience to evolve. I really like elegant games. (Mac Gerdts is a master of this type of game design IMHO.)

However, I found two rules clarifications by Cedric here on the boards to be slightly counter-intuitive, and I was hoping to hear more reasoning behind their current state:

Quote:
When taking my own colored dice as a REST action, I am allowed to take and re-roll every die I choose to collect except those already in my stock. Dice already in my stock may NOT be re-rolled.
I believe the rules are more elegant without this exception. For example: "Take any of your own dice you want (from anywhere), re-roll them and put them in your stock."

Quote:
Minnetaree's discovery may not be combined with the discovery on your player-board. (Yet, Minnetaree's discovery may be combined with a Camp discovery, and your player-board's discovery may be combined with a Camp discovery.)
I do like the rule that Camp discoveries must be 2nd in a 2-discovery exploration, but I think the exception of not allowing a combination of Minnetaree and player-board discoveries is less-than-elegant. It don't see the reason for this exception.

(Mostly I wrote this thread to help anyone else that was not aware of these 2 rule clarifications since they both seemed counter-intuitive to my understanding of the rules prior to reading threads here. I am definitely not bashing the game and think it is a great design.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first one, I would say that this rule is in place to prevent you from taking a turn to simply re-roll all the Dice in your Stock. Once the Dice are in your Stock, you've gotta get creative with how you use their faces, and can't simply re-roll them all.

I can't actually find that 2nd quote anywhere in the rulebook PDF... But if that's the case, then I suppose you simply need to select which discovery card is currently 'active'... Minnetaree's Discovery or your Own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mb
GeckoTH wrote:
For the first one, I would say that this rule is in place to prevent you from taking a turn to simply re-roll all the Dice in your Stock. Once the Dice are in your Stock, you've gotta get creative with how you use their faces, and can't simply re-roll them all.

I've been kinda assuming that.

GeckoTH wrote:
I can't actually find that 2nd quote anywhere in the rulebook PDF...

That's because it's not there! It's a quote from a rules thread about the Minnetaree card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry guys, I used the QUOTE tag but those aren't actually quotes... just trying to highlight the rule clarification as I am aware of it.

GeckoTH wrote:

I guess I view spending a full turn just re-rolling and hoping for something better as pretty balanced already. They lost a turn in the hopes they might roll something better... if they really need 2 negotiate faces to get that juicy hostile tribe card, they would be better suited to spend their turn guaranteeing they have 2 negotiate faces than re-rolling and hoping...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryll F
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I don't see anything preventing you from taking dice from your own stock. Please clarify where this is in the rules.

From the rules is says "3 OR take ALL or as many of YOUR 5 colored dice as you like, wherever they are, including: those on your individual board..."

Your stock is part of your board so it is fair game and you can even choose which dice to reroll because you can leave some dice where they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mb
AbsZero wrote:
I don't see anything preventing you from taking dice from your own stock. Please clarify where this is in the rules.

From the rules is says "3 OR take ALL or as many of YOUR 5 colored dice as you like, wherever they are, including: those on your individual board..."

Your stock is part of your board so it is fair game and you can even choose which dice to reroll because you can leave some dice where they are.

You're absolutely right, Daryll: it ain't in the rules. As indicated in a previous post, this is a clarification from the designer himself! It would have been in the rules if I had only known this was the case at the time I was editing them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest version of the rules states: "OR take ALL or as many of YOUR 5 colored dice as you like, wherever they are (except in your own stock) including..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.