Popular Tags: [View All]
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game I've had on my wishlist for a while. I was quite excited about the deluxe reprint when I heard it was coming to kickstarter. However now I'm not so sure.

To start with, this isn't a post where I grumble about TMG or anything like that. This isn't about "boycotting" or any such silliness. This is mostly a question out of curiosity.

I own a number of games (though not as large as other people's collection), with various titles on the horizon I have my eye on. Lately my money situation has changed and I've taken a step back to really look at some of my purchase choices and whether they are smart (for me) or not. If this was a year ago I wouldn't have hesitated. Now I'm not so sure.

As I said I've had this on my wishlist for a while, added back when I first started to get into gaming. Since then I've played more games and been able to refine what it is I like, and don't like in game play mechanics. I took a look at the videos for the game again and I'm not sure it would really be my thing. Given the deluxe price that will likely come with the deluxe edition, in addition to the horrible USD to CAD exchange rate, the cost might not be worth it. Those funds could go towards a few other titles instead.

There is also part of me that wonders if my desire for the game comes from the OOP nature of it. Being rare and thus "special". Does that make it more attractive in my eyes than if it was easily available at retail? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're unsure about the deluxe version, you could always wait until the new version comes out and then try to get an older copy used. Prices might come down on the older version once the new version is available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
University of Utah - Go Utes!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to kickstart it even though I already own a copy. It is a great game. I loved it before it ever went OOP. I am concerned about what the price will be, but for a great game like this, it would have to be pretty high to make me avoid kickstarting.

Looking forward to this and I am still thrilled for the great news that it is being reprinted. As noted, I already own a copy but I am still thrilled because I know of so many who want to pick this up. Every gamer deserves to have this gem in their collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UteFan wrote:
I'm planning to kickstart it even though I already own a copy. It is a great game. I loved it before it ever went OOP. I am concerned about what the price will be, but for a great game like this, it would have to be pretty high to make me avoid kickstarting.

Looking forward to this and I am still thrilled for the great news that it is being reprinted. As noted, I already own a copy but I am still thrilled because I know of so many who want to pick this up. Every gamer deserves to have this gem in their collection.

Same here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
UteFan wrote:

Same here.

What are the elements you both enjoy the most about the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
rvinyard wrote:
UteFan wrote:

Same here.

What are the elements you both enjoy the most about the game?

Fair question. There are many aspects of the game that I enjoy. First, I love the theme. I love the Roman theme in general, but many games set in this genre are about war or large-scale trading (both of which are fun, but more common). Colosseum, on the other hand, is about putting on gladiatorial shows in an arena--about entertaining the Roman masses and trying to put on the best show. I enjoy that theme. Very unique.

Second, the theme works very well with the game's mechanisms. At the start of each turn, you can purchase an upgrade to your stadium. That makes sense. If I really owned an ancient arena, as a business owner, I would always be looking for ways to make the facility more inviting. You can expand the size of the stadium, purchase a comfy seat for the visiting emperor, and other options. Next, you bid on various aspects of what you will need for a great show. The variety of shows and pieces are very intriguing. Some shows focus more on gladiators, others focus on a naval battle, others are more religious in nature. All of them let you imagine gathering the key components for a great show and putting them together. The bidding and set collection fit well with the theme here. Then the players trade. This is a very fun part of the game that works very well. Some tiles will be worth more, depending on what people are going for, and the bartering is very fun. Then you actually put on your show. This is exciting because first you see whether any of the traveling Senators, Consuls, or even the Emperor himself might come and see your show, adding to your points. Interestingly, the scores are not cumulative. Rather, whoever has the highest points in a given round will win the game. Often the last round of the game produces the highest score, but not always. The game play is very thematic and fun.

Third, the game is very satisfying for even those who do not win (at least in my opinion). It is one of those games where you work on a goal during the game and it is fun to see it come to fruition, whether you win or lose. The first round you put on a small show, and as the game goes on and you increase the size of your stadium and get more lions, chariots, gladiators, priests, etc., you start setting your sights on one of the really big, impressive shows. When you finally put the show on, usually in the last or penultimate round, it always leaves me with a feeling of accomplishment, even if I didn't manage to win the game. (I usually don't win this one.)

Fourth, this game is really easy to teach and play. It is satisfying for hard core gamers because of the great strategies, but also accessible to newer players. As noted, because the mechanisms and theme mesh so well, the rules just make sense and people can pick it up quickly.

Lastly, I love the game because it looks so good. The pieces are amazing. Days of Wonder did its usual great job here. I don't know what the new kickstarter deluxe version will look like from a new publisher. The original addition will be hard to improve upon, but I see it only going up in quality, making this aspect of the game even more enjoyable.

All of these aspects combine to make this one of my favorite games. So when the kickstarter campaign starts, I just don't think I can resist jumping in, even though I already own the original and have personally never been affected by the game's OOP status these past few years. I could have sold my copy for a good amount, but I was never tempted. Even after I obtain the newer version, I won't ever part with my original. It is a great game, and I am so glad that many who have never played or owned it will now get an opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Funny enough the part you really enjoy (trading) is the part I'm most unsure of. I haven't played any bartering games and I'm not sure how much I would enjoy it (personality trait).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
rvinyard wrote:
UteFan wrote:

Same here.

Same here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
I may kick in a couple dollars, if I can.
I don't know, tho'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would...if I wasn't currently a college student. I have the original and can't justify "upgrading" at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Funny enough the part you really enjoy (trading) is the part I'm most unsure of. I haven't played any bartering games and I'm not sure how much I would enjoy it (personality trait).

Thanks for starting this good thread!

I hope I didn't oversell the trading aspect. I do enjoy it, but it is not my favorite part of the game. It is one aspect that I think helps with the overall theme and fun. That said, trading is one of those mechanisms that works well in some groups and not so well in others. I have played the game in groups where there is real, fun bartering going on. This is when that mechanism really shines. But I have also played the game in groups where the trading is not pivotal. ("Anyone willing to trade me a chariot for a lion?") (No one responds.) ("OK.") Even in a group like the latter, I don't think that an aversion to trading kills the game. Trading is only one aspect of many in the game. If trading is not strong in a group, the game still goes on. It will be a little harder to acquire the tiles you need for the show you are trying to run, but everyone will have the same problem so the issue will equalize itself. Therefore, even with your personal lack of enjoyment for trading, I would still strongly consider picking this one up. The game is not a trading game. It is a strategic, set-collecting, auction/bidding, long-term planning, short-term tactical, and trading game. There is still room to enjoy this with or without a heavy bartering experience during the trading phase.

That said, the game just may not be for everyone. I have not yet played it in any group though where the game fell flat. There is enough here for most people to find something they enjoy. Assuming this will become generally available after the kickstarter campaign (does anyone know if that is the case? I assume so), perhaps you should consider trying before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the follow up. You know lots John Snow.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm you made some good points, which sadly puts me back in the "I don't know what to do" camp. I guess I'll have to wait and see once the kickstarter launches.

With so many shiny object vying for my attention, it's possible the lousy USD to CAD exchange rate might make the decision for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
John Snow.

I get that a lot.

venrondua wrote:
With so many shiny object vying for my attention, it's possible the lousy USD to CAD exchange rate might make the decision for me.

True true. I don't have the exchange rate with which to deal, and that would of course factor into my decision as well were I in your shoes. There are so many wonderful things on which to spend our money in this hobby of ours! Always hard choices to make, no matter where we live or how much money we have. Even if we all had unlimited money, we do not have unlimited time, and so it is always difficult to know where to invest our time and money. We are fortunate to live in an era with so many wonderful choices. it's a good problem to have! Whether you pick up Colosseum or not, I'm sure your dollars will find their way to a wonderful gaming experience. Best wishes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UteFan wrote:
We are fortunate to live in an era with so many wonderful choices. it's a good problem to have!

We really do and we really are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemanue wrote:
Prices might come down on the older version once the new version is available.

This would be true if there were a new, non-deluxe version coming out. Otherwise, the higher price of the deluxe version should keep first edition prices relatively high.

Days of Wonder should have reprinted this one years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering it, but it depends on how much "deluxe" costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in and can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Walth
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
The Mountain That Drums
mbmbmbmbmb
Oct 27th the KS will be launching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AWTama wrote:
Oct 27th the KS will be launching.

Can't wait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schulz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
3 MORE DAYS! THERE WILL GLORIOUS BATTLES IN THE - Colosseum,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Walth
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
The Mountain That Drums
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to be something to the effect of Emperor's edition. I forget what Daniel was deciding. Just keep in mind, the box and board have to look completely different from the Days of Wonder version. I think the box cover looks totally cool. You will see it next week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Walth
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
The Mountain That Drums
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a heads up, the KS wont be launching this week. Michael Mindes would like to have more artwork to present and Daniel wants a concept for the metal coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AWTama wrote:
Just as a heads up, the KS wont be launching this week. Michael Mindes would like to have more artwork to present and Daniel wants a concept for the metal coins.

hope that just gives me more time to save $$$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan B.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AWTama wrote:

Maybe some teaser images? Was excited for today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damjan Makuc
Slovenia
Idrija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not there yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.