Patrick Shirley
New Zealand
North Shore City
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new edition introduced the variant weather rule:

28.2 Random 3-Day Storm
Until Turn 12, re-roll a Weather die roll of 1 until something other than a 1 is rolled. On Turns 12-22, if a storm is rolled it lasts for 3 turns. After the 3-day storm ends, roll for weather normally.

When I first read it my brain parsed it as meaning that in the game there would be a single 3 day storm and no other storm turns, but as my diligent opponent has noted it says to roll for storm turns normally after the 3 day storm has occurred. Of course he is right but I wonder if that is the intent of the rule. Our 3 day storm has turned into a 4 day storm after another '1' was rolled and this seems pretty devastating for the Allies.

I noted that that seems to make the random 3 day storm rule much tougher for the Allies than the historical storm variant but he correctly noted that the random gives you no guarantees that a storm will even occur.

Aside from the intent which rule is, on average, better/worse for the Allies/Germans:

Standard rules: a 3 day storm is unlikely but the risk is spread throughout the game and can hit you right in the early game and hence be more painful for the Allies

Historical: A guaranteed 3 day storm

Random: No guarantees but if you do get a 3 day storm early in the potential turns for a 3 day storm (say turn 12 or 13) then your odds of getting a far greater number of storm turns than you would normally get through statistical variance under the normal rules is increased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark has commented that your rule understanding (or rather, your opponent's) is correct.

A storm is still possible after the 3-day storm. Effectively, you are ignoring (on average) 2 storms during turns 1 - 12 (12 turns with a 1/6 chance of storm each day). Those two storms you are 'ignoring' get tacked on to the first storm you roll (hence the '3-day storm'). However, the rest of the statistical probability then remains the same.

So the game effect should be slightly pro-Allied, as they will get the same number of storms <on average>, but are guaranteed to NOT have storms during the critical initial build-up phase (turns 1 - 12).

-K
Active Developer, N'44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.