Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Otherworld: The Mad House: rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
"Entering this part of the mines, you suddenly find yourself in a bizarre realm constructed by an insane MC Escher (Note: Was Escher around during this time? Need to find out...). There are dank, low-ceilinged corridors, barred doors at regular intervals, howls and screams rivaling those of the damned who burn in Hell. You've heard of only one place that can be similar to this. Bedlam. Turning around, you suddenly realize, to your horror, that the door out has vanished. And you know, in the same way dreamers know, that the door has moved to ANOTHER PART of this place, for the passages often shift locations, and the doors and windows don't always lead where you think they will. Cautiously stepping into a corridor, you are confronted by a polite looking man in a doctor's outfit. 'Hello.' he says. 'Welcome to the Mad House. Are you ready for your medicine?' Then he gives you a smile, one with far, far too many teeth."

What do you think? Questions, comments, concerns, and ideas are appreciated and encouraged!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Davenport42 wrote:
"Entering this part of the mines, you suddenly find yourself in a bizarre realm constructed by an insane MC Escher (Note: Was Escher around during this time? Need to find out...). There are dank, low-ceilinged corridors, barred doors at regular intervals, howls and screams rivaling those of the damned who burn in Hell. You've heard of only one place that can be similar to this. Bedlam. Turning around, you suddenly realize, to your horror, that the door out has vanished. And you know, in the same way dreamers know, that the door has moved to ANOTHER PART of this place, for the passages often shift locations, and the doors and windows don't always lead where you think they will. Cautiously stepping into a corridor, you are confronted by a polite looking man in a doctor's outfit. 'Hello.' he says. 'Welcome to the Mad House. Are you ready for your medicine?' Then he gives you a smile, one with far, far too many teeth."

What do you think? Questions, comments, concerns, and ideas are appreciated and encouraged!

Err... anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Nothnagel
United States
South Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Looks like Escher would have been fairly young (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._C._Escher) during the time period of the "Wild West" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_frontier). But, let's be honest, SoB is definitely an alternate timeline/universe (at least I hope so). So perhaps he was born a few decades earlier.

Definitely an interested proposal, I feel a bit of Arkham Horror, with the crazy doctor and mind-bending environment. Might have to go with some sort of custom map tiles, to account for the moving destination of doorways. Maybe something like Betrayal at House on the Hill, where all "rooms" are identically sized, and somewhat easily rearranged. Develop some sort of methodology to randomly determine where the doorways lead to, and come up with some gnarly Encounters - this could be quite fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Fist
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
This is a really cool idea! I like really like the thought of a setting that is more horrific than the 6 otherworlds currently being planned.

Some form of the hungry dead figures could easily be a starting threat, and so many new and terrifying enemies could be thought up.

Though I was thinking it may work better if they were to treat this idea of yours as they are treating the Helltrain. Not as an otherworld, but instead a location that the characters could travel to, instead of into the mines. This way it would be easier to incorporate your thought of shifting, Escher style tiles. Also, I think it just makes more sense, because the heroes could actually travel to an insane asylum... only to find it has been twisted and corrupted by the powers of the void.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Burzelic
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
Sanitariums at this time in history truly were nightmares. Making them full of actual monsters is fitting. It's still a ways off, but I plan on making something similar to this once I get my rewards for the Lobotomy kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hannigan Rex wrote:
Sanitariums at this time in history truly were nightmares. Making them full of actual monsters is fitting. It's still a ways off, but I plan on making something similar to this once I get my rewards for the Lobotomy kickstarter.

Curiosity eventually got the better of me when you mentioned "Lobotomy". I looked it up, and I must say... I am VERY impressed at the array of monsters the Posse might encounter! As well as a few allies they could meet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish Man
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest thing to do would be to take the Arkham Horror game, use that board and those monsters for the base of the house.

Just my thoughts
Irishman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
irishman wrote:
The easiest thing to do would be to take the Arkham Horror game, use that board and those monsters for the base of the house.

Just my thoughts
Irishman

I'm using some of the MoM tiles for a Dunwich "otherworld". I would like to keep the maps randomized so I'm not using a big house, but more like a village with a lot of outdoor areas. The hard part will be figuring how to get a grid overlay. You could just write on the boards or use some kind of transparency envelope which would have the grid on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.